Author Topic: Took the Genos plunge!  (Read 4230 times)

CindyG

Took the Genos plunge!
« on: April 27, 2019, 12:26:08 AM »
Well, I've gone and done it - I bought a Genos this week! I had been waiting for a good time to upgrade, and after I saw that Yamaha was going to put out a Genos update, it seemed safe to me. I still have my Tyros 3 for now.

Some first impressions:

1. Maybe I'm imagining this, but the keybed feels a little different on the Genos. It's not bad, but on the T3, it seemed harder to do glisses than on the Genos. I did a measurement, and the keys on the Tyros 3 and Genos go down the same amount when pressed (around 1 mm.), so that's not why.

2. I love the touchscreen! It's so much easier to name files and switch between screens. The only problem (aside from smudgy fingers) is using the left-right drag on the on-screen dials (like in the EQ section) - it's difficult to dial in a precise setting. Using the data wheel or the on-screen number pad is best.

3. I prefer the joystick to the modulation/pitch bend wheels.

4. Adding expansion packs is easier than I thought it would be.

5. On the Genos, the jacks on the back are easier to see and access than on the Tyros.

6. The Genos' power switch is on the top panel rather than on the back like the T3.

7. The Genos' wi-fi is handy, and it actually works. I never did use the internet access on the T3 - back when I got it, I had dial-up! Plus it only worked with certain wireless adapters which were obsolete by the time I got faster internet.

As others here have noticed, the Genos sounds different out of the box than the Tyros - more flat. The T3 pianos especially seemed to have more reverb or something by default. I need to do some adjusting of the EQ and effects, and am going through old threads here to glean information.

Thanks for the information you provide here - it's a big help!

The following users thanked this post: KeyboardByBiggs

Murat

Re: Took the Genos plunge!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
Great decision, you will love it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
The more you play Genos the more you will like it. I have always raised the reverb on piano's on all my Yamaha keyboards to what suits me. This is a personal choice we all have with these keyboards as we can make them our own.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
CONGRATS!

;D
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 02:28:16 PM »
Congrats!! Enjoy your new baby😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline porterma

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »
Hi Cindy,
I have had my Genos for about a month now after selling my Tyros 4.
I agree with all your observations and I am truly loving my new Genos.
The keybed did feel a little different to me at first, but I am well used to it now and the aftertouch is terrific.
I have altered my overall EQ and have added some reverb which has added depth to the sound.
I do find that I am still using a lot of my Tyros 4 styles that I have loaded into the user file section; and they sound really good on the Genos.

Enjoy your new instrument.

Mark

CindyG

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks everybody! One of the members here once said that playing the Tyros 4 was like "the musical equivalent of crack". Well, I'm feeling that way about the Genos! I was up late last night playing with the choir and scat sounds. That was a big reason that I upgraded, and they just seem to make any song sound better. It's like playing along with the Beach Boys! ;D

The ensemble sounds are beautiful! However, I like to play sometimes with a left-hand split without styles, but the ensemble voices use all four parts by default. Is there a way to have a different voice in the left hand when using them?

I also tried out some of my registrations from the Tyros 3, and they worked without having to substitute voices. There was a style substitution, but it picked one that was close to it. (T3 was Unplugged 1, Genos chose Unplugged Pop).

I tend to upgrade about every 10 years, so waiting that long made a bigger impact to me.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
Ensemble is designed to work this way and dose require a certain technique to play it but if you put the harmony button on you will get the same effect. It is best used with a style when using miller and those types of mixes.

CindyG

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »
Thanks Eileen - That's what I thought. Ensemble really sounds great, though!

Bachus

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »
Cindy, you will not get dissapointed..
And itwill only get better with future patches..

Lloyd E

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 12:08:12 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase of the Genos. Time will give you the skills to use the Genos and all it has to offer !   Lloyd

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
Cindy,

Congratulations on your Genos! This instrument amazes me in way or another every time I sit to play it.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks