Author Topic: Genos- Playlists.  (Read 14680 times)

Superjuan

Genos- Playlists.
« on: December 30, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
With my Tyros3, I was able to copy individual songs from the Playlist to Favorite.
With the Genos, I cannot copy and transfer a song to another Playlist.
It is easier to find songs in a smaller Playlist selection.
Is it possible to do that, in case I am missing something?

Offline Bill

Re: Genos- Playlists.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
MODIFIED

The impossible is never easy. See posts below.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 11:39:04 AM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Superjuan

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:30 AM »
Thank you, Bill.

I tried that, but it makes a copy not of the selected song, but of the entire Playlist.
The Style mode makes copy of a single style, but I have not been able to do that with the Playlist.

Offline John T4

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »
I too would like a solution.. It seems strange it's not possible to cut and paste playlist items into a different playlist

Offline John T4

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
The only way I can think of is to copy all the playlists that contain entries you want and then delete the entries you don't want from these copies and then used the append feature to add this playlist to one final playlist.
This would work but very boring as you can only delete one entry at a time as my registrations are all over the place on USB 1, under the keyboard,  and user drive it's probably quicker than trying to locate each registration and besides the whole point of a playlist is that it has a couple of features I selecting a registration button and maybe score lyrics or text so being able to copy entries to use in a new playlist would be a useful feature I think

Superjuan

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »
It would be very convenient if we could make a playlist that we could copy into it, songs from different playlists. The way I find it works now is very, very difficult.
Also, I don’t know what is the purpose of the “SEARCH”. It can find songs or records, but if I select it nothing happens.

I am hoping that I am doing something wrong and that somebody here can see what I need to do.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »
I didn't reach till now the playlist section on my Genos (I work on other parts - my custom styles)....
But, I think is better to copy those two playlists on USB, and open them on PC as excel file. Now you can add the record you want from a file to another. Save it, and load it on Genos. It should be work.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Superjuan

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
Thank you.

I am going to try that. It will be beneficial if Yamaha fixes that, for it will save us that extra work.

Danne Machmar

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 02:44:32 AM »
I dont get the playlist...
Lets say that i have ten registrations/ten different tunes, songs or whatever.... 1-10 is a bank i guess....like on the tyros.  I want /have to SEE the titles....not only the first as yamaha shows in their example... i must be able tonsee all the registrations titles names of the songs.....

But it seems that i cant do that in playlist? 
It seems that i have to spend a whole bank 1-10 on ONE song!!!???

Very strange an surely a mistake from yamaha....
Has anyone this problem?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 05:22:00 AM »
I dont get the playlist...
Lets say that i have ten registrations/ten different tunes, songs or whatever.... 1-10 is a bank i guess....like on the tyros.  I want /have to SEE the titles....not only the first as yamaha shows in their example... i must be able tonsee all the registrations titles names of the songs.....

But it seems that i cant do that in playlist? 
It seems that i have to spend a whole bank 1-10 on ONE song!!!???

Very strange an surely a mistake from yamaha....
Has anyone this problem?

Most people use one BANK per song, so the song title is the name of the registration file, and always visible.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 09:38:25 AM »
Hi Danne

Simply add 10 entries into the playlist (all the same reg)
Then edit each entry to show the song title.
Then EDIT the entry so that the first one starts with Reg button 1. The second one starts with Reg 2

Bill
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:43:20 PM by Bill »
England

Danne Machmar

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
Fred......is that not a waste of regs? And a emergencyaction to hide a flaw?
Bill......i dont get it and why.......on ALL other mashines this is not a problem.....we can not just buy expensive mashines with such flaws

Offline Bill

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »
Bill......i dont get it and why.......on ALL other mashines this is not a problem.....we can not just buy expensive mashines with such flaws

The Genus is the first Yamaha keyboard to have playlist.  Yamaha are actually giving you what you want so it is NOT a FLAW. It maybe that it is not what YOU would prefer, but it is how Yamaha do it.

Another way if you just want to use Registrations and not use Playlist is to EDIT the registration and give each of the buttons a song title.

Just out of interest what keyboard do you at the moment?

Bill
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:16:07 PM by Bill »
England

Danne Machmar

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »
I have the genos....and all the flagship keyboards since 1985...

The thing is that Yamaha has put 10 registrationbuttons on the Genos.....but they only want us to use nr1 In playlist because you can not see the following registrations in playlist.
If you press the both left -and + at the same time you enter registrations.....but you can only go through the bank names.....not the registrations.
Same with playlist.....look at the example from Yamaha....only reg be 1 on every song......that makes you wonder yeah? Haha I love it.....not!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 06:09:10 PM »
I have the genos....and all the flagship keyboards since 1985...

The thing is that Yamaha has put 10 registrationbuttons on the Genos.....but they only want us to use nr1 In playlist because you can not see the following registrations in playlist.
If you press the both left -and + at the same time you enter registrations.....but you can only go through the bank names.....not the registrations.
Same with playlist.....look at the example from Yamaha....only reg be 1 on every song......that makes you wonder yeah? Haha I love it.....not!

This is not correct. You can easily create a playlist entry which loads any particular  button you want. The default is button 1, but it can be any one of the 10.

All you have to do is spend as much time with your keyboard as you are posting messages to this forum.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: EileenL

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 06:51:17 PM »
Danne,
I'm not sure if the problem you say you have is with Playlist or the fact that you can no longer display individual registrations from a bank on the screen (previously 8 of them) together with their individual names. If the latter is the case Genos does not have the same menu system as Tyros so it looks as if that viewing  facility has been taken away. In fact you are still able to do it with the banks of 10. With an appropriate  registration loaded push Direct Access followed by one of the Reg buttons. You now get a screen showing the ten. You can see the names, rename and delete, and see the voices in use. Find the named Reg needed for the Song and touch it, it highlights that Reg as the keyboard loads with the style, voices etc. You can see and select other Regs as the song progresses to change voices similar to what you could do on Tyros.
My only gripe is there are far too many hindrances to the work flow, eg. where you have to keep touching to clear screens before Genos allows you to go to a new function or screen and that awful sequence of unnecessary operations to get from memorising registrations to saving them. 
John

Superjuan

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
Yesterday, I called Yamaha tech support and I asked him to open up his Genos’ Playlist, after I explained what I have experienced, and what we have been discussing in this Forum he agreed that the Genos needs a firmware update. The more time I spend with the Genos, despite the these flaws, the more I like it. Let us keep up these discussions going, for many of us need them.

I surely appreciate them.
Superjuan

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 12:22:38 PM by Superjuan »

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:03 PM »
Hi Danne

I have already told you how to achieve what you are after See my post of the 3 Jan.  Why not simply try it.  You have had Yamaha keyboards long enough now to realise that you cannot do any harm. If you make a mistake simply go back and delete it.

As Fred has also said you need to spend some time with the keyboard to understand what it CAN do rather than concentrate of things that you think cannot be done.

The more time you spend doing this will repay your efforts with much more enjoyment of a great keyboard.

Bill
England

Offline mikey4u100

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
I have had my Genos for 5 days as of the 10/01/2018. I traded in my Tyros 5, 76 keys, with great enthusiasm. Well, a vast improvement in the voices, appropriate to the styles, are much appreciated, likewise the Revo Drums and Kino Strings are excellent. There are more additional features that are improved and some I'm sure I have not even found yet! Love the on, off button on the top of the keyboard, instead of the stupid position as in the Tyros' range!!

The only gripe I have is the "PLAYLIST"!! I may well be delusional, and hopefully, I am, but how on earth can I find a song on an alphabetical basis? maybe I'm daft but I have a large collection of EZ-play books, yes not a professional player by any stretch of the imagination, however with my Tyros 5 I could go to "A's right through to the "Z's" with the click of the down arrow or a turn of the wheel. When I arrived at the desired letter of the alphabet I could easily use the scroll wheel or the down arrow to find the song that was now being searched for, to play. I have transferred the Tyros 5 "Music Finder File" to my Genos, some 2,100 tunes, just to find I cannot access them with anything that might be described as "WITH EASE", like was possible with the Tyros!! Surely, the latest model, the Genos, should be as versatile as the Tyros 5 plus additional flexibility!  Yamaha boasts "Legacy" as providing the previous model sounds available to the latest models, so why not adopt the "Playlist" in the same manner?

Additionally, I used my "Music Finder" on the Tyros to prompt me to play a certain song! If I scrolled down, for example, to the "M's" I might see the title "My Way", the great Frank Sinatra song. On seeing this in the "Music Finder List" I would think to myself, hey, not played this for a while, let's play it!!

This is not possible on the new Genos, (is it?) please say I'm wrong!! I nearly kept my Tyros 5 and bought a Kork PA4X so that I could have the flexibility of searching song titles, however, I put my trust in Yamaha and on 1st impressions, I seem to have been let down!!

I hope there is someone or several, people who might point out the error in my thinking.

Kind Regards. Mike Sheffield.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
You can rename the songs in playlist by going to EDIT and adding a number such as  01 02 03 or ABC etc.before the title and then move it to the position you want it in using the arrows. If you do this don't forget to press save and over right the existing one.

Offline mikey4u100

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 01:35:05 AM »
This following problem has been partly corrected by the latest update. However, scroling through a playlist of over 2000 tunes is still a pain in the rear end even though it can be done alphabetically. Come on Yamaha please sort this travesty.

I have had my Genos for 5 days as of the 10/01/2018. I traded in my Tyros 5, 76 keys, with great enthusiasm. Well, a vast improvement in the voices, appropriate to the styles, are much appreciated, likewise the Revo Drums and Kino Strings are excellent. There are more additional features that are improved and some I'm sure I have not even found yet! Love the on, off button on the top of the keyboard, instead of the stupid position as in the Tyros' range!!

The only gripe I have is the "PLAYLIST"!! I may well be delusional, and hopefully, I am, but how on earth can I find a song on an alphabetical basis? maybe I'm daft but I have a large collection of EZ-play books, yes not a professional player by any stretch of the imagination, however with my Tyros 5 I could go to "A's right through to the "Z's" with the click of the down arrow or a turn of the wheel. When I arrived at the desired letter of the alphabet I could easily use the scroll wheel or the down arrow to find the song that was now being searched for, to play. I have transferred the Tyros 5 "Music Finder File" to my Genos, some 2,100 tunes, just to find I cannot access them with anything that might be described as "WITH EASE", like was possible with the Tyros!! Surely, the latest model, the Genos, should be as versatile as the Tyros 5 plus additional flexibility!  Yamaha boasts "Legacy" as providing the previous model sounds available to the latest models, so why not adopt the "Playlist" in the same manner?

Additionally, I used my "Music Finder" on the Tyros to prompt me to play a certain song! If I scrolled down, for example, to the "M's" I might see the title "My Way", the great Frank Sinatra song. On seeing this in the "Music Finder List" I would think to myself, hey, not played this for a while, let's play it!!

This is not possible on the new Genos, (is it?) please say I'm wrong!! I nearly kept my Tyros 5 and bought a Kork PA4X so that I could have the flexibility of searching song titles, however, I put my trust in Yamaha and on 1st impressions, I seem to have been let down!!

I hope there is someone or several, people who might point out the error in my thinking.

Kind Regards. Mike Sheffield.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 12:18:25 AM »
This following problem has been partly corrected by the latest update. However, scroling through a playlist of over 2000 tunes is still a pain in the rear end even though it can be done alphabetically. Come on Yamaha please sort this travesty.

Have you tried out the improved Search option? I'm curious how responsive and useful it is myself.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 01:14:58 AM »
The Music finder now loads into Genos playlist alphabetically so you can still scroll and find tunes as you did on Tyros.

Offline Stijn

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 02:28:19 AM »
There is no need to scroll through hundreds of records in the playlists. You can use the Search procedure, and it's quite easy.
I have about 10 playlists. I don't always know in which playlist the registration sits which I'm looking for. But it only takes me a couple of seconds to find it, without scrolling.

Make sure you're in the playlist folder and all your playlists are present in this folder. Make a new playlist; call it 'favorites' or 'now playing', whatever. Open this new playlist and click on the Search icon.
Type a few keywords, like 'pirates of', and confirm. In the search result window select the registration(s) you want to use and press 'Append Playlist'.
The registration(s) will now be copied to your 'Favorites' playlist. You can add more search results to this list and if you want to keep these results you just save the playlist, or not if it's just for  temporary use. You can make many personal lists that way.

Actually, you can add search results from within any playlist - they will be added to the end of the list - and as long as you don't save the list nothing will change, but it's easier with a 'favorites' list.
The search results will even be available after a re-start, as long as you didn't change to a different playlist.
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: mikey4u100

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 04:00:16 AM »
I understand you cannot hit a button and scroll by each letter of the alphabet, but there’s also a page up and page down button that should speed things up.  Like Stijn I use the search feature, overall I think the playlist is a very handy tool for anyone but it’s particularly good for we folks who gig.  I may be in the minority but for years I always wanted Yamaha to allow us to create playlists using registrations...........and they have done just that.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks