Author Topic: The beauty of Legacy  (Read 8712 times)

Offline Dromeus

The beauty of Legacy
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
Hi folks

For users that upgraded each Tyros model in the past, this may be nothing new. Others may benefit from this little advice. Sorry if this has already been pointed out before.

Do not think that the legacy voices are just included for backward compatibility. In fact they complement the panel voices very well. No doubt the Genos panel voices are of high quality, but if you don't find there a voice that suits your needs or expectations, don't hesitate to search the appropriate legacy voice folder, even if it's a little cumbersome to navigate to.

In case you don't know how to access the legacy voices:
  • select the Voice Part you want to change (e.g. Right 1)
  • select the up arrow right at the bottom of the screen
  • select P2 to go to page 2
  • select the "Legacy" folder
  • select the required instrument category in the folder list; caution: do not use the categories in the left part of the screen, this will take you back to the panel voices.
  • enjoy a wealth of additional voices  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 05:37:24 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline Bob88

Re: The beauty of Legacy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:13:04 PM »
   I always preferred the Legacy strings on my Tyros 5.  When I looked at the Legacy strings on my Genos, I did not see the Live Strings that had been on my T5.  Maybe
I inadvertently  had missed them somehow.  Have they been replaced with another
string voice?  Bob

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
The  description "Live" is no longer used on the Genos name. In Legacy there are 2x so called "Strings" on page 4.
The first one has voice nos. 0 117 050, the same as the old LiveStrings and thankfully they sound better to my ears with less of that horrible grittiness than the old ones. The other "Strings"  on the right of that page have a less processed, faster, stronger sound.
John
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:13:04 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Bob88

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 08:37:02 PM »
  Thank you John.  Bob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
Hi Bob did you know that there is also a Legacy folder for Multi pads.

rickymo220

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
Very true.  Many legacy voices are used by a lot of preset Genos styles too.  I wonder how Yamaha decides when a voice becomes legacy while we still have many Retro and Oldies styles.

I also notice that the GX voice folder is hidden.  I accidentally found them when using some old registrations converted from 970 I think.

Offline Bob88

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 03:35:31 PM »
  Thank you Eileen for your post re  Legacy  Multi Pads.  Regards, Bob

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:15:48 AM »
Very true.  Many legacy voices are used by a lot of preset Genos styles too.  I wonder how Yamaha decides when a voice becomes legacy while we still have many Retro and Oldies styles.

I also notice that the GX voice folder is hidden.  I accidentally found them when using some old registrations converted from 970 I think.

What is the GX folder and how do you get to it please? I get all excited by the letters GX as I immediately think Yamaha GX-1 supersynth!

Thanks
Steve
Yamaha Genos, Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha MODX7, Korg M3, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg MS20, MiniMoog Model D, Moog Voyager, Sequential Prophet 6, Roland D10, Roland JV1080, Roland Drumatix, EDP Wasp, Ableton 9

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »
The Legacy Voices  ARE Panel Voices.  Yamaha just moves Voices from previous models to the legacy folder so when we select from the Voice Category buttons, we will see mostly new Voices for that model.

The XG/GM folder contains Voices WITHOUT a Voice Set File.  If we select an XG or GM2 Voice and open Voice Set we can create the equivalent of a Panel Voice and save it as a User Voice. Then when we select the User version of an XG or GM2 Voice it will have DSP effects and/or Arpeggiator/Harmony settings, Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend, Filter settings, octave range for R1/R2/Left etc, assigned to it just like the Panel Voices do.

Joe H
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:27:49 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline voodoo

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
The Legacy Voices  ARE Panel Voices.  Yamaha just moves Voices from previous models to the legacy folder so when we select from the Voice Category buttons, we will see mostly new Voices for that model.

The XG/GM folder contains Voices WITHOUT a Voice Set File.  If we select an XG or GM2 Voice and open Voice Set we can create the equivalent of a Panel Voice and save it as a User Voice. Then when we select the User version of an XG or GM2 Voice it will have DSP effects and/or Arpeggiator/Harmony settings, Mod Wheel, Pitch Bend, Filter settings, octave range for R1/R2/Left etc, assigned to it just like the Panel Voices do.

Joe H

Wow, this is new. Than you, Joe, for this insight.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 04:37:49 PM »
You have always been able to do this on most Yamaha keyboards and create some very nice sounds but you must then save them as user files.