Author Topic: Style Creator / Assembly woes  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Dromeus

Style Creator / Assembly woes
« on: December 29, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
Hi

Goal: to replace a style part (e.g. PHR2) with a part from an other style. This should be done for all variations incl. fills.

Woes when using my Tyros: in style assembly I had to select the source part to copy from for each variation. This is cumbersome especially because every time you have to navigate to the folder where the source style resides.

In Genos: seems there is no improvment in this respect. Or do I miss something?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:18:09 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline Joe H

Re: Style Creator / Assembly woes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
I responded to a similar comment over here:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,42122.msg332019.html#msg332019

I think my comments to you are essentially the same.  Though it may be useful at times... the function you describe may not be what the rest of us want or need.

:)

Joe H
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:56:37 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
Hi Joe

Thanks for your comment. I don't think I expect the Genos to perform in a certain way. Rather I'd like to see this arranger to become more flexible. I understand that the majority of users will not use features like style assembly, but even then it should be designed in a way that those people, who use it, could finish their tasks without being harrased by iterative work that could be easily accomplished by a single step.

:)
Regards, Michael

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »
Micheal,

I use Style Creator Assembly often.  I have created many dance styles with it.  I also use the software StyleMagic where you can "Export" an entire Section to disk then Import it into another style.  I know that's not the same as what you are describing above.

I think maybe you are saying you would like to see an"option" for copying a style Part to multiple Sections.  If so, then I agree that would be a great feature.  But not having a graphical interface where we could "drag and drop" in Style Creator... it would be difficult to implement copy to several locations at once.

Regards,
Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
The style arranger works to same as on Tyros. I think not all of us would want to have all the same things on all four variations. It really only takes a few minutes to do anyway and we can't expect quick fixes for everything.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
I think not all of us would want to have all the same things on all four variations.

That's why there should be an option. BTW I was not talking about "all the same things on all four variations". Rather:

source part for Main A -> target part for Main A
source part for Fill-In A -> target part for Fill-In A
source part for Main B -> target part for Main B
source part for Fill-In B -> target part for Fill-In B
... and so on

It really only takes a few minutes to do anyway and we can't expect quick fixes for everything.

Depending where the source style is located you may have to navigate through several folders. This you have to do for each step right from the beginning, as the target folder ist NOT preserved while staying in Style Creator. Honestly, this really drives me nuts.

In fact I didn't expect a quick fix. I'm already waiting for 20 years to see some improvements here. Let's face it folks, in terms of usability there is still room for improvements.
Regards, Michael

Pino

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 03:23:34 PM »
i Think this can be done in Stylemagic, I’ll check tomorrow
Stylemagic is very good for changing and saving style parts
Quick and easy to use,
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 03:28:47 PM by Pino »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
Hi Dromeus,
I think in general Yamaha do not shine in their programming section when it comes to understanding how users would actually need to operate to get things done in the most efficient way.
However, unless I have misunderstood you the Assembly problem, while still fairly klunky say on Tyros, does not "have" to result in you continually having to chase folders to get back to the styles. If before you start you copy the source and user files to the user drive and access them from there the appropriate button pushes described in the manual will keep bringing you directly back to the files with no chasing required.
I have not looked at Assembly in detail yet on Genos but am hoping the process will be streamlined further.

John

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 03:54:09 PM »
If before you start you copy the source and user files to the user drive and access them from there the appropriate button pushes described in the manual will keep bringing you directly back to the files with no chasing required.

Yes John, that's what I will do in the future. I will copy the source style to the root of the USER drive, then selecting it from Style Assembly is just two actions, select USER drive, then the style. Still a workaround, but saves a lot of time.

I have not looked at Assembly in detail yet on Genos but am hoping the process will be streamlined further.

Hope so, too. Style Assembly is a very powerful feature!
Regards, Michael

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »
Dromeus,
"Yes John, that's what I will do in the future. I will copy the source style to the root of the USER drive, then selecting it from Style Assembly is just two actions, select USER drive, then the style. Still a workaround, but saves a lot of time."

You shouldn't even have to select the user drive,  the process keeps returning you to the actual copies of the Style files in the user drive.

Regards, John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:05:35 PM by jwyvern »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Yes this is how I always did it on Tyros 5 When finished I then remover the style from the user drive. Did not take long at all this way. I shall still do the same on Genos.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »
@John: just tried it again, when selecting the source style it goes always to the preset category, so I have press the User button. No worries here.

Thanks everybody for your valuables contributions.
Regards, Michael

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »
I copy all source styles in a folder on my user drive including the style I want to modify. This makes it much more easy, than always to go to the original folder.
By the way, I can use icons, that I see "this is the style, where I want the guitar, this I want for drums..." etc.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
Hi

Goal: to replace a style part (e.g. PHR2) with a part from an other style. This should be done for all variations incl. fills.

Woes when using my Tyros: in style assembly I had to select the source part to copy from for each variation. This is cumbersome especially because every time you have to navigate to the folder where the source style resides.

In Genos: seems there is no improvment in this respect. Or do I miss something?

Michael,

When I build a new style from scratch, I start with Main D Section because it usually has the most parts actively playing. Then copy it to the other 3 Main Sections by dragging it to the other Main Sections placeholders.

Then I start deleting style Parts from each of the other 3 Sections, keeping only the primary style part(s) that I want and represents the main musical "motif" or character of the style.  See screen shot of Style Magic's Section Editor.

I don't know if this makes sense to you , but it may give the results you want.

Joe H

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:12:05 PM by Joe H »

Offline panos

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:05:50 PM »
Unless you want for the Mains/fill ins a lot of different parts from many different styles so you always return to that lovely main folder.
I kind of like this "excersice" lately(after a lot of swearing in the beginning).
I am testing my memory this way.  :P