Author Topic: Preferred Way Of Connecting Songbook Plus to an iPad and Genos  (Read 15392 times)

Offline stephenm52

Preferred Way Of Connecting Songbook Plus to an iPad and Genos
« on: December 26, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
Just curious about how you are connecting Songbook plus to the Genos.  I've been using the wireless method but now that I have the USB connector kit for the iPad I'm going to try that method.  For the most part the WiFi/wireless method works well, but seems that on occasion using the wireless does not connect the registration to the linked song on the iPad.  I can't have this happening on gigs, so I just may use the wired connection.   Thoughts and your experience?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 11:43:54 AM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

Re: Preferred Way Of Connecting Songbook Plus to an iPad and Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:53 PM »
Update as much as I would prefer to use the WiFi connection I opted to use the wired connection and it works first time every time vs. the WiFi connection that didn’t seem to work at times.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
I use Yamaha's BT-MD01 midi to Bluetooth adapter.

SongBook recognizes it every time, so I have a wireless connection with our having to rely on WiFi availability. I put it on the Midi B port, so the usb to device port is available for other uses.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 08:49:26 PM »
Hi Fred and Steve,

My Songbook+ related testings show the same result as Fred's experience.

Reliability of Songbook+ connections:
1.  Wired USB connection - reliable
2.  Bluetooth wireless connection through Yamaha MD-BT01 Bluetooth MIDI adapter via Genos MIDI input/output ports B - reliable
3.  WiFi connection - unreliable through both Infrastructure mode, and Access Point mode.

I speculate that this may potentially be a software bug on Genos since WiFi the Access Point mode should be reliable considering how close the iPad/iPad Pro is to the Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: dacca

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:06:20 AM »
Paul and Fred,

Thanks for the feedback. Paul thanks for writing #3, there were a couple of times I thought maybe I didn’t link the song to the registration properly now I know it wasn’t my error.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Reg

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »
 The Yamaha BT-MDO1 is mentioned in this thread.  I am interested in connecting Songbook+ to my Genos.   When I Google Yamaha BT-MDO1, it does not come up but
Yamaha MD-BTO1 does.  Which is required  to make the connection ?  Reg

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 01:11:52 AM »
The Yamaha BT-MDO1 is mentioned in this thread.  I am interested in connecting Songbook+ to my Genos.   When I Google Yamaha BT-MDO1, it does not come up but

The Songbook+ user manual indicates these two models:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/182673174740

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401442726368

They are both bluetooth and wireless.

The first one connects to a midi port of the keyboard.

The second one connects to the USB/To Host port of the keyboard and allows you to charge your iPad at the same time.

I am considering purchasing one of these two.  Probably the first one.

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 01:45:22 AM »
When I Google Yamaha BT-MDO1, it does not come up

That’s because the second last character should be a zero, not an O.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »

Hi Reg,

I use Yamaha MD-BT01 (MD stands for MIDI, BT stands for BlueTooth) to connect Songbook+ to Genos (it gets power from the MIDI B input/output of Genos):
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

You connect the Yamaha MD-BT01 to Genos MIDI B input & output ports (pay attention to the in and out markings on the two ends of the MD-BT01):

You will have to get a Bluetooth connection app such as Korg's "BLE-MIDI" free app from the App Store to 'reliably' connect the MD-BT01 to your iPad / iPad Pro because the iPad / iPad Pro Settings Bluetooth does not recognize MD-BT01 reliably enough.  Then on Songbook+, click the right top "...", then "Bluetooth LE MIDI", then "Bluetooth LE MIDI devices", you should be able to see MD-BT01 Input / Output "Connected", meaning your Genos communicates with Songbook+ through the MD-BT01:

There is no BT-MD01 - I think Fred mistyped it by reversing the positons of MD and BT.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:58:07 AM by zionip »

Reg

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:48:41 PM »
  Thank you for correcting the typo Paul.  So, now I have to spend another $50 U.S. to get a reliable  trouble free connection from Songbook+ to my Genos plus an app to make the process complete.  The Songbook+ update was supposed to resolve this problem.  Your contributions are most helpful Paul.   Cheers  Reg

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
Hi Reg,

I assume you prefer wireless connection for Songbook+.  Unfortunately, the WiFi connection is still unreliable.

You can use the US$38 Apple MK0W2AM/A Lightning To USB 3.0 Camera Adapter if you have a newer iPad / iPad Pro for reliable wired USB connection for Songbook+:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM-Lightning-Camera-Adapter/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514822995&sr=8-2&keywords=lightning+to+usb+3+camera+adapter

Thanks,
Paul

Reg

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
   I will explore all options Paul.  Thanks again for your replies.  Also, i forgot to thank Al for his input. Much appreciated.  Reg

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
  Thank you for correcting the typo Paul.  So, now I have to spend another $50 U.S. to get a reliable  trouble free connection from Songbook+ to my Genos plus an app to make the process complete.  The Songbook+ update was supposed to resolve this problem.

You need to spend the money only if you want a wireless connection, which was unavailable in previous keyboards. And there is no other app required -- Songbook+ is all you need.

If you want a reliable connection without additional cost, use the standard USB cable, just like with the Tyros keyboards.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Reg

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
Thanks Fred.  I assume I will  still require an app?  Reg

Offline zionip

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 07:54:07 PM »
Thanks Fred.  I assume I will  still require an app?  Reg

Reg,

If you use the wired USB connection between Genos and iPad / iPad Pro, you need:
1.  Songbook+ app
2.  Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »
Reg,

If you use the wired USB connection between Genos and iPad / iPad Pro, you need:
1.  Songbook+ app
2.  Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter

Thanks,
Paul

Reg
in addition to the items listed above, you will also need of course the USB cable to connect to the keyboard. If you do not have it already, it is the same as a USB printer cable.

Also, for item 2. listed above, I strongly recommend the following Apple adapter.  This one will allow you to also charge your iPad at the same time it is connected to the keyboard.  The 'regular' type adapter does not.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1241761-REG/apple_mk0w2am_a_lightning_to_usb_3_0.html

Hope it helps.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Reg

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
  Paul and Al:  Thank you for your responses.  Your expertise is most helpful.  Reg

Ben22

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
Hi,
Have connected Songbook+ with wi-fi and works great. Only problem I have ,I have "linked"registrations and when I save my registrations to a usb memory stick and then access my regos from the stick the link must be not there as it no longer works. When I go back to same "internal" regos everything is fine. Is this normal behaviour? Should I be doing something else before saving to stick"
Thanks, Ben.

gerarde

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »
Sonbook+ links to where the registration is when you link it.
If you move a registration, you will have to relink it.
If you are always going to have your registrations on a usb stick, then link them there.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 05:11:38 AM »

If you want a reliable connection without additional cost, use the standard USB cable, just like with the Tyros keyboards.

Fred

Plus one I have used the wireless method but the wired connection is the way to go.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Ben22

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for reply Gerard. Have found solution from Baume software. All I needed to do is have one registration from memory stick, go to Songbook, go to "link song" then to "Relink the song" and it activates all Registrations at once on all banks. When I go back to Genos internal memory just do the same thing again and all is "linked" back to internal memory. Hope this helps anyone else using songbook.