Author Topic: Yamaha PSR-620 omni mode  (Read 10110 times)

ah-ah

Yamaha PSR-620 omni mode
« on: December 25, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
Hi! When using the Yamaha PSR-620 as a midi receiver, is there anyway to turn other channels off, other than the one I have chosen as the remote channel?

If i set the remote channel on the PSR to say 3, and my MIDI controller's transmit to channel 3, the sound I want is played on the PSR. But if my controller has any other transmitting channel selected, the PSR-620 plays the Grand Piano sound (sound 1).

The MIDI-controllers I have on hand are a Yamaha DX100 (which I mainly use), and Roland R-5, and as a sequencer I have a Kawai Q-80EX. But even when connected directly from the DX100 to the PSR-620, the grand piano plays on every other channel.

I would like to know if I can turn this command off, but have had no luck searching online, how to turn omni on/off, I think that's the problem? Thanks.

ah-ah

Re: Yamaha PSR-620 omni mode
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/196901/Yamaha-Portatone-Psr-620.html?page=101#manual

Might a MSB or LSB value change be able to turn it off? I have no idea what these mean actually, but since they are in the PSR-620 manual, I'd think they have some reason to be there and the Grand Piano is in bank 0, maybe if I change the bank to 1 or 2 it won't be active by default anymore.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 02:23:32 AM »
Some Yamaha keyboards don't let you change the mode. The MIDI Implementation Chart should have information about which modes can be used.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:35:45 AM »
I'm just looking at the MIDI Implementation Chart on page 98 of the PSR-620 Owner's Manual. As I expected, the instrument doesn't respond to Mode messages, and is set by default to Mode 3-- OMNI OFF, POLY. By default, the keyboard will accept and play MIDI data on all 16 channels at once. The voices used will be set by the messages being received.

However, note 1 on page 99 says the keyboard can receive on a specific channel by using the Remote Channel function (see page 83). But I'm not sure if that will actually keep the keyboard from receiving data on the other 15 channels. And it sounds like maybe you're already trying to use that function, so perhaps it doesn't work that way?

Are you using the other channels of the controller to send data to other destinations besides the PSR-620? I'm wondering if you just need to restrict the controller to transmit on just the desired channel, or if that isn't feasible because you want to use those channels for transmitting to other devices? If the latter, then maybe you could put a MIDI filter between the controller and the PSR-620 so the other channels can be filtered out of the data going to the PSR-620?

ah-ah

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 10:53:56 AM »
That's what I feared. I'm trying to use the Kawai Q-80EX to play all my instruments, so it's frustrating, that the notes going to my drum machine also come out in a piano sound from the PSR-620. The Kawai has 2 midi outputs, so I guess I'll try connecting only the PSR-620 to the other one, and see what sounds I can get out of it alone.

When the remote channel is set to the channel I like, it does play the sound I like, but when my controller is playing a different channel, it will play the signal as the grand piano on other channels of the PSR. So I guess it's just a matter of routing and fiddling around, filtering channels etc.

I just wanted to check if I'm trying something I can't achieve with these pieces of gear, so thanks for the information and tips!

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »
If you're talking about a live performance situation-- i.e., on stage and requiring mobility plus ease of setting up and breaking down, versus in a studio where you can just set up and leave things that way-- then some sort of MIDI processor box that can filter out everything but one channel just before the MIDI gets to the PSR-620 would probably be your best bet. But if you're talking about a studio setup then you could use a DAW or other MIDI routing software to split up the MIDI from the controller and send different isolated channels to different equipment.

ah-ah

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:11 PM »
It's a "studio" setup, but I try manage without computers. Do you happen to know any cheap options for this kind of job (filtering the channels)?

I will probably also start looking for some synthesizer which can handle more than one midi channel when I have the money, perhaps some rack unit. I'm pretty new to midi in general, so I still have lots to learn, ie. limitations of instruments etc. and what to keep in mind when getting new gear. But until then, I can get to a certain point with these tools I have on hand now,if I get some filter box.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 09:54:06 PM »
I have no experience with any of their products myself, but MIDI Solutions is one company that tends to be mentioned on other forum sites whenever keyboardists talk about situations where they need to split, merge, route, filter, or process MIDI messages between one device and another:

http://midisolutions.com/

They make a variety of MIDI boxes, depending on your specific needs:

http://midisolutions.com/products.htm

The MIDI Solutions Router might be the sort of thing you're looking for:

http://midisolutions.com/prodrte.htm
http://midisolutions.com/applicat.htm#Router

On that last page they say the following (with the emphasis added by me):

One application that is often overlooked for the Router is to filter specific types of MIDI messages or specific MIDI channels; not only can the Router can be programmed to route MIDI data to either of its two MIDI outputs, it's also possible to route MIDI data to neither of its outputs, effectively filtering it. The most common use of this function is to filter out selected MIDI channels to synthesizers or sound modules that receive in omni mode only and do not have the ability to turn individual MIDI channels on or off. Because the settings of the Router are stored in a most recent setting priority format, it's possible to filter or pass any combination of the 16 MIDI channels, using only 10 settings.

But again, I have no experience with their products, and I don't know whether there are any better or cheaper alternatives. For example, it might be possible to program or configure some of the iConnectivity interfaces to perform the same functions as two or more different MIDI Solutions boxes:

https://www.iconnectivity.com/

I would recommend that you start by taking a look at the various boxes that MIDI Solutions has, to see which one(s) are relevent to your needs; and then once you've seen what the pertinent functions are called-- e.g., MIDI router, MIDI filter, MIDI event processor, or whatever-- then you can search the internet for the pertinent terms to see if you can find any other companies that offer similar products. After that, you can check around at the online stores to see which one has the best deal on the product(s) you've settled on.

ah-ah

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »
Thanks! These boxes seem simple enough, I'll look into them.