Author Topic: Playing a fifth with just one finger  (Read 6324 times)

robfigee

Playing a fifth with just one finger
« on: December 25, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »
Hi everybody. On my old Casio I had a button called autohamonize, when activated I could play an E and the keyboard played E and C. With the F it played F and D making a fifth. This worked when using left hand chords with a style playing.
I am sure the PSR 770 can do this too, but could not find out how.
If so, I would gladly hear how I can do it.
Thanks in advance,

Rob

Offline mikf

Re: Playing a fifth with just one finger
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »
Rob
What Harmony notes you get are going to depend on the chord you play, which you don’t mention but those are not fifths so not sure what the Casio is doing.
Mike

Offline panos

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 03:06:47 PM »
http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/848878/yamaha-psr-s770.html?page=25&original=1
These are the chord fingering types on Yamaha's keyboards.
Try them and choose the one that you like the most.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 03:12:06 PM »
If you want to be able to play actual 5ths with one RH finger plus LH chording the standard auto harmony includes 1+5 among the options on Tyros's which I assume is also on the PSR's.

John

robfigee

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
Thanks John,

This sounds like what i am looking for.
Now I must find out where "Auto harmony" is located.

Rob

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 04:51:48 PM »
Try reading the section 'Applying Harmony/Echo to Your Right-hand Melody' starting on page 42 of the Owner's Manual.

The Type '1+5' is included in the 'Harmony' category.  There is also a note which states that the '1+5' and 'Octave' types are not affected by the chord being played.

Regards

Ian

robfigee

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
Thanks Ian.
I searched the manual with "auto hamony" but Adobe Reader could not find anything. So thank you for pointing me to Page 42.

Rob

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Rob,
Don't you have a Harmony button on the PSR? If you do you can get to the harmony options by pushing Direct Access followed by that button (assuming the PSR has a Direct Access button).
John

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 01:48:16 AM »
Rob,
Don't you have a Harmony button on the PSR? If you do you can get to the harmony options by pushing Direct Access followed by that button (assuming the PSR has a Direct Access button).
John

Hi John,

Good suggestion. 

On PSR-S970, "Direct Access" button + "Harmony/Arpeggio" calls up the following screen to choose Type  "1+5":

Thanks,
Paul

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 03:01:22 AM »
My point was that what Rob describes are not 5ths.
Mike

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 04:36:03 AM »
My point was that what Rob describes are not 5ths.
Mike

Hi Mike,

In Rob's original description, it did not sound like a "1+5" harmony type.  However, judging from his positive response to John's suggestion of "1+5", I think Rob settles on the "1+5", and he wants to know how to access it.  That is why I provided the path for him to know how.

If you want to be able to play actual 5ths with one RH finger plus LH chording the standard auto harmony includes 1+5 among the options on Tyros's which I assume is also on the PSR's.

John

Thanks John,

This sounds like what i am looking for.
Now I must find out where "Auto harmony" is located.

Rob

Thanks,
Paul

robfigee

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 10:48:53 AM »
Thank you all for your support. It works fine like Ian suggested. Indeed what i was looking for is not 1 + 5, but trying out the options I found what I was looking for. I made a registration of it so I can quickly activate it.
I wish you all a very fine and merry Christmas.

Rob