Author Topic: TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS  (Read 928 times)

Offline alans

TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS
« on: December 24, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
Hi all

Just read a post on Eileens forum about a Genos owner removing a plastic ""screen protector " or rather what  he thought was a screen protector.He said it was difficult to remove and now his touch screen does not operate,probably meaning an expensive repair !!

New Genos owners PLEASE BE AWARE if your new Genos arrives with a thin plastic film over the screen (mine didn't ) please take care that it is NOT  part of the screen itself ,that  must NOT be removed !!

Alan
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:52:28 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline Bill

Re: TOUCH SCREEN PROTECTOR! !! PLEASE READ THIS
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 02:44:55 AM »
Hi Alan

Thanks for letting everyone know.

It is such a pity that this guy was told (with some authority) that it was perfectly safe to remove the protection.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline alans

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:10:20 AM »
Hi Bill

I do not know if some  Genos' are shipped with a screen protector,I seem to think not,mine certainly didn't, but this owner has probably invalidated the warranty so therefore will probably have to pay for a repair.I just thought owners needed to know this to avoid any expensive repair bills

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline Michael R

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:18:58 AM »
Alan is quite right. I am the unfortunate party. I probably should have warned people myself but its been to painful to even think about!!!

This is the first and last time I will EVER do anything Iím unsure about without proper advice from Yamaha Tech support. Having said that, I do wonder if the screen was faulty in someway for it to show a ripple at the top Centre, which moved as the finger moved on screen. If this hadnít been there I never would have dreamt it was removable!!

Michael

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 05:07:27 AM »
Hi Michael

Thanks for responding to this post,I'm very sorry you've had this experience.
Always best to seek the help of Yamaha tech if you think something is not as it should be with your keyboard.
I hope something can be done for you with minimum cost.

Regards

Alan

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:43:30 AM »
Hi Michael

I know the damage is done, but it would have been common decency if the guy who gave you the advice had at least came back and offered an apology.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »
a ripple at the top Centre, which moved as the finger moved on screen.

Dear Michael, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I'm shocked! I don't get it, if it moved with your finger that means it couldnt
be a part of the screen? I mean, the screen shouldnt have anything that can be removed with your finger, it should be a one piece thing...do you happen to have a picture of that or something? It must have been a faulty screen otherwise I cant explain the mobility of that layer...
Tyros 5 - 76 (2GB)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 03:56:33 AM »
Dear Michael, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I'm shocked! I don't get it, if it moved with your finger that means it couldnt
be a part of the screen? I mean, the screen shouldnt have anything that can be removed with your finger, it should be a one piece thing...do you happen to have a picture of that or something? It must have been a faulty screen otherwise I cant explain the mobility of that layer...

It is a resistive touch screen, so it is not "one piece", there are two pieces... One of them decodes X axis and other one decodes Y axis.
HERE you can read about how a resistive touch screen is build.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:57:21 AM »
Zionip has apologised to Michael on my forum as that is where the problem was first mentioned.

Offline Michael R

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 10:07:01 AM »
Thanks to excellent service from my dealer in the UK, A&C Hamiltonís of Preston, they have arranged for Yamaha UK to repair my Genos. This is the first and last time I will ever meddle with something Iím not sure about. When I noticed that the screen didnít look quite right, I should have contacted my dealer straight away for advice. My Genos has now gone to be repaired and I hope to have it back very soon. Thanks again A&C Hamiltonís and Yamaha UK!!

Michael

Offline alans

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »
Hi Michael

Pleased that you're getting it fixed,at no or minimum cost to you I hope

Alan

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the Info.

Last week I sold a Genos to a customer and we transferred his T5 Datas ... after we done that I said "letīs fix a protecting film...

(You know that I sold that years for t5 and PA4X ...) B.A.B.E. brought me to the idea to build it for T5 all over.....

But back to last week.... I cleaned the display from our fingerprints  ...  and we looked both like dumb boys :-((
We already did it, and made two small "scratches" .. on the display  :-( I tried "polish" out .. but no chance ...

The Film I already sell ist not perfect (I know that!) but better than nothing .. also If you cut a pcs Protection film by yourself ist fine to avoid scratches ... It IST not a GORILLA Glas we know from mobile phones!!!

AND it ist not the "fingerprints" Problem .. it ist dirt and stuff .. on the display .. bringing up scratches...

greetings from Germany
frank .... still searching for the PERFECT Protection ....
Genos and Tyros Support in Germany - Europe with more than
160 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at home!

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 01:35:46 AM »
Is it that easily scratched? oh my...
I saw a Genos screen protector on Ebay, but it seems like it covers the whole thing, what happens if I want to replace it one day?
I might get the actual screen scratched/damaged by trying to remove the protector, isnt that a bit risky?
Tyros 5 - 76 (2GB)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 03:00:10 AM »
I'll bet Genos 2 will have capacitive touch screen... ;)

Offline StuartR

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:19 AM »
I'll bet Genos 2 will have capacitive touch screen... ;)
. And perhaps USB 3.x support. But I have to say that I've been very pleased with the touch response of the Genos screen. It's the best of any of the capacitive screens I've used. Much better than the one on the Korg Kronos or even the Yamaha Montage.

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:22:53 AM »
But I have to say that I've been very pleased with the touch response of the Genos screen.
Is it easily scratched? do u use a screen protector?
Tyros 5 - 76 (2GB)

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 12:54:20 PM »
No it isn't easily scratched... but it can... ( and I did...)
Frank
Genos and Tyros Support in Germany - Europe with more than
160 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at home!

Offline StuartR

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
No screen protector for me. I'm careful to use only the fleshy tip of my finger on the screen. It helps, of course, to keep your fingernails properly trimmed and smooth.

Offline Keyboardister

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 11:58:55 PM »
Is this screen similar to those used in car multimedia systems?
Tyros 5 - 76 (2GB)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »
Is this screen similar to those used in car multimedia systems?

Almost 99% of multimedia car navigation systems are now on capacitive touch screens... This is resistive, is more flexible as capacitive!

... It helps, of course, to keep your fingernails properly trimmed and smooth.
Personally, I cannot sing if I have big fingernails... ;)