Author Topic: Genos bug?  (Read 5660 times)

Marcus

Genos bug?
« on: December 23, 2017, 05:52:36 PM »
Having a great time exploring the Genos when I have time. Working flawlessly so far and slowly getting use to the new touch screen OS. Can anyone confirm the following issue?

If you have an active style playing with the coresponding style screen and the style highlighted, if you were to scroll with the navigation wheel through the style list highlighting the next style selection as you scroll, within a couple of seconds whatever style is highlighted automatically replaces and starts to play without actually selecting it.

The next style selection should not play until you physically press the selection on the screen or press the enter button. It doesn't not do this on the Tyros 5. If I am playing a style or while it is in it's ending, I want to be able to search and scroll to another style without that style automatically playing and interrupting the current style until I actually selected it.

Just a typical bug, that is easily corrected in the next firmware update. Just need to know if others are having the same issue. Doesn't matter if the OTS Link button is on or off.

Thanks,
Marcus
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 05:54:00 PM by Marcus »

Offline Bill

Re: Genos bug?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:57:50 PM »
Hi Marcus

I think you need to go into the Genos setup and ensure that style selection is NOT Automatic.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Marcus

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
Hi Marcus

I think you need to go into the Genos setup and ensure that style selection is NOT Automatic.

Bill
Thanks Bill for the quick response. Do you know off-hand what menu might have this setting?

Marcus

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 07:16:20 PM »
Marcus,
When you use the wheel to access the style or the voice displays, whatever style (or voice) is highlighted is loaded. I have rarely accessed them in this way (Tyros included) so was not aware this happens. I have not found a setting on Genos that lets you change this.
For voice selection you can set whether going to a voice category just opens the category or whether it opens and automatically selects/loads the voice, but this is somewhat different. That was available on Tyros too.
John

Marcus

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »
Marcus,
When you use the wheel to access the style or the voice displays, whatever style (or voice) is highlighted is loaded. I have rarely accessed them in this way (Tyros included) so was not aware this happens. I have not found a setting on Genos that lets you change this.
For voice selection you can set whether going to a voice category just opens the category or whether it opens and automatically selects/loads the voice, but this is somewhat different. That was available on Tyros too.
John
Hi John
Never had that automatic selection on the Tyros. When scrolling a selection with the wheel, you make the actual selection with the scroll wheel enter button. Should be the same on the Genos. What practical reason would there be to have an auto-selection feature, since the user has no control what selection it chooses as the users slows down one's scrolling speed. Must be a bug, unless someone has an explanation or there is a menu to shut that function off.

My Tyros 5 had File Access Memory buttons that I used to use to quickly access style or song folders. These memory buttons don't exist on the Genos, so I am compensating somewhat by placing more styles within a folder and scrolling quickly to the next style, but I don't want the Genos to automatically choose and play a style at will as I slow down my scrolling to the style selection I want.

I was thinking of contacting Yamaha to request the added function of assigning folder memory link selections to the assignable buttons, to mimic that function that was on the Tyros series. It only needs to be added to the Song and Style selection buttons as an extra function for the assignable buttons.

Marcus

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
Thanks Bill for the quick response. Do you know off-hand what menu might have this setting?

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

At current firmware 1.10 of Genos, there is no provision for "style selection is NOT Automatic".

I regard this as a new feature instead of a bug, depending what your expectation is.  :)

Now that we have a touch screen on Genos, if we want to peruse the available styles, we can just use the touch screen buttons P1, P2, P3 etc. at the bottom of the Style selection screen to browse available styles easily.  The Data dial itself now works as a selection confirmation.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
Hi Marcus

I'm very sorry to give you incorrect info.  I thought someone had asked a similar question on another thread and someone had mentioned the answer I gave you.  I must have misunderstood.

Please accept my apology.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Marcus

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »
Hi Marcus,

At current firmware 1.10 of Genos, there is no provision for "style selection is NOT Automatic".

I regard this as a new feature instead of a bug, depending what your expectation is.  :)

Now that we have a touch screen on Genos, if we want to peruse the available styles, we can just use the touch screen buttons P1, P2, P3 etc. at the bottom of the Style selection screen to browse available styles easily.  The Data dial itself now works as a selection confirmation.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul, thanks for your input. The Data dial should not work or function as the selection confirmation, the Data wheel "Enter" button by design should make the confirmed selection. I still think this is a bug overlooked by Yamaha.

If I am performing a style live or waiting for a MIDI song to complete, with data/scroll wheel being the quickest means of navigating through a large folder of styles or used to navigate to a certain page, any delay on my part deciding or double checking a name will have the Genos automatically selecting that particular highlighted style. The audience doesn't need to suddenly hear bits and pieces of certain highlighted styles as I navigate.

The Tyros used to have the alternate detail view for folder navigation and selection. I guess I might have to get used to not using the scrolling wheel if this behavior is normal.

Marcus

Bill
No problem at all. Thanks for clarifying.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:03:26 PM by Marcus »

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:05:28 PM »
Hi Marcus,

I know what you meant. 

On my PSR-S970, there are 2 ways of browsing available styles similar to the Tyros models:
1.  By turning the Data dial, an outlined cursor follows the turning of the dial on the styles - good for intra-page browsing.
2.  By pressing the buttons below the screen corresponding to the style pages, P1, P2, P3 etc. - good for both intra-page and inter-page browsing.

So, on Genos, we loose option 1, and we can see it as a compatibility bug.  Under current firmware 1.10, our only option is to use option 2, page browsing.

Thanks,
Paul