Author Topic: PSR-S970 Guitar/Amp button below Talk button (see pg 89 ... User Manual  (Read 5400 times)

Todd Marshall

On page 89 of the PSR-S970 user's manual, you can see a button below the "talk" button (F) at the (H) position. It shows a picture of a guitar and an amp. Regardless of what I do, this button always has the same behavior ... which I don't like.

What is it's purpose? Where is it documented.

Offline zionip

Re: PSR-S970 Guitar/Amp button below Talk button (see pg 89 ... User Manual
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Hi Todd,

The "Guitar & Amp" button you mentioned on the "Mic/Guitar Setting" screen is not specifically explained in the PSR-S970 owner's or reference manuals.  It takes a lot of patience to dig out what it does.

Let me walk you through the experiment I did on my PSR-S970 with screen captures to illustrate how this "Guitar with Amp" button works.

When you first press the "Mic Setting / Vocal Harmony" button, the default setup is:
    Mic/Guitar    ON,
    Effect Type (DSP4)    Assign Part: LEFT   Type: Ensemble Detune 2

You can then press the "Effect Type (DSP4)" button to the "Effect" tab of the "Mixing Console" to select your choices of:
    Block
    Assign Part
    Category
    Type

Then press "Exit" button, your will be presented the "Effect" tab of "Mixing Console (Panel)" where you can do more tweaking:

Then press "Exit" button to return back to the "Mic/Guitar Setting" screen and save the changed "Effect Type (DSP4)" to Type "User1".  Suppose now you switch the Mic/Guitar switch at the back of the PSR-S970 to Mic, and press the "Talk" button to talk during your performance / gig, you notice that the "Talk" button on screen is lit up, with no change of "Effect Type (DSP4)" - still at Type "User1":

After you finish talking, you press the "Talk" button on screen to turn off "Talk" and the "Talk" on screen button becomes unlit / grayed out, and slide the Mic/Guitar swtich at the back of the PSR-S970 back to Guitar position, you will notice that the "Effect Type (DSP4)" setting remains at Type "User1":

If you press the mysterious "Guitar & Amp" button, the "Effect Type (DSP4)" setting is changed to:
    Assign Part:  Mic/Guitar
    Type:           Multi FX Distortion Basic

Now you can see that this undocumented "Guitar & Amp" button actually works - to change the "Effect Type (DSP4)" to:
    Assign Part    Mic/Guitar
    Type             Multi TX Distortion Basic

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:27:39 PM by zionip »

Offline ticktock

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »
Hi Paul,
Wow! Your response is much better than Yamaha manual.
Thanks.
Ted
I need a "2xLike" button

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:48:50 PM »
Thanks, Ted.

I took me a lot of thoughts and preparation to post the reply to help but not introduce possible confusion.

Paul

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »
There is a note on page 90 of the PSR-S970/770 Owner's Manual about this 'button' which says:

NOTE
Pressing the [H] button lets you
instantly reset the settings for optimum
use of an electric guitar, as follows.
• [A] MIC/GUITAR: ON   
• [F] TALK: OFF
•[4 ] HARMONY: OFF
•[5 ] VOCAL EFFECT: OFF
• [C] EFFECT TYPE: ASSIGN PART—MIC/GUITAR, TYPE—MultiDistBasic

Regards

Ian

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 03:04:30 AM »
Hi Ian,

You are right.  I found it out through some debugging process.

Thanks,
Paul