Author Topic: What are the different sounds?  (Read 6352 times)

Offline shezza

What are the different sounds?
« on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
Hi, I know the 970 has more sounds than the 770 but what are these sounds? When I look at the online manual it is for the 970 and 770  But I can't find a list for what the extra sounds are. I am not to concerned about drum and rhythm sounds but am interested in the extra sounds like trumpet, sax, and all wind instruments as I will be using a midi wind instrument to play them. So just wondering if there is an actual comparison list of sounds.........Thanks

SeaGtGruff

Re: What are the different sounds?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »
The easiest way to find out would be to print the pages for the PSR-S970 voices and the PSR-S770 voices from the Data List, place the pages side-by-side (S970 to one side and S770 to the other), and see which voices are listed for the S970 but not for the S770. This might sound like a lot of effort, but the voices are arranged in the same categories and order for both keyboards, so it should not be difficult at all to place the corresponding pages side-by-side for comparison.

Offline shezza

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
Thanks! this is what I was looking for but obviously not hard enough...............Merry Christmas.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
I would have done the comparison myself and posted the results, but I was preoccupied with something else. I may do the comparison later and post it, because it's the sort of thing I'm interested in, too-- although I usually focus on comparing the voices on different PSR-E models. :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
I will be using a midi wind instrument to play them.

Hi Shezza --

That sounds interesting! Please let us know how that works out. Which MIDI instrument is it?

All the best -- pj

Offline shezza

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:17 PM »
It's the Akai EWI 5000  I have used one with a selection of Technic and Yamaha keyboards over the years and then I went onto using sound modules but now I am going back to using a keyboard with it because of being able to store the sounds and call them up via the panel buttons, and of course the speaker saves on using external amps. The Keyboards in the past have all had amazing wind and brass sounds although even today the Technics sounds take some beating but the KBs that are still around are very old now and for the price people are asking I may as well buy new.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
Thanks! this is what I was looking for but obviously not hard enough...............Merry Christmas.

I should have posted a link to the Data List, just in case you hadn't actually found it. I don't want to post a direct link to the PDF file, but it can be found here:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/downloads.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »
It's the Akai EWI 5000.

Thanks, Shezza. Sounds like fun!

-- pj

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Hi, I know the 970 has more sounds than the 770 but what are these sounds? When I look at the online manual it is for the 970 and 770  But I can't find a list for what the extra sounds are. I am not to concerned about drum and rhythm sounds but am interested in the extra sounds like trumpet, sax, and all wind instruments as I will be using a midi wind instrument to play them. So just wondering if there is an actual comparison list of sounds.........Thanks

Hi shezza,

The direct download link for PSR-S970/S770 Data List manual:
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/437559/psrs970_en_dl_b0.pdf

I did not compare the voices between the S970 and the S770, but I went ahead and got the Data List of S970/S770 PDF converted to Excel spreadsheet so you can compare them more conveniently.  The first tab / worksheet is the combined page 1 and 2 of the Data List PDF, second tab / worksheet corresponds to page 3 of the PDF, and so on.

Thanks,
Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shezza

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to go for the 770 my local dealer is doing it for £775 and the 970 is exactly double. so for what I want it for it makes sense to go for the 770. Should be delivered to the dealers just after the Christmas break. So Merry Christmas to you all.