Author Topic: Problem when turning off Genos  (Read 9759 times)

Offline vlbrgt

Problem when turning off Genos
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:48:10 PM »
Hello,

I have a strange problem. It arrived once last week, but today It already happened 4 times !!!
PS: firmware v1.10 is installed.

When I turn off my Genos the screen stay freezed, nothing is happening anymore.
All the other buttons are unlit, but the screen stay's on but freezed.
Waiting about several minutes does not change anything. The only thing I can do is shutting down the power.
Are there other members with the same problem ?
Is there a solution ?
Would it be possible and/or good to reinstall firmware v1.10 ?

I'm a bit worried about this issue.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Marcus

Re: Problem when turning off Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:12:50 PM »
I noticed that the Genos on/off button is not instant off. There is kind of a delay before the shutting off procedure. Not sure if there is flaw in your off button, but I made it a habit now to hold the button down for about 2 seconds, when you see the popup on the screen. Try that technique and observe if that freeze issue happens again. Possible if one were to press the "off" quickly or without a certain positive press, the shut off procedure gets somehow interrupted and freezes the screen.

Doesn't sound like an adequate solution, but many modern electronics require that delayed press to shut off. Maybe the new Genos just requires that slight press delay when shutting off. Keep us posted. If worst comes to worst, at least your Genos is under warranty.

Marcus

I just checked the Genos Owners manual.
After you finish using the instrument, turn off the power by
pressing and holding the [ ] (Standby/On) switch for about a
second.

So by design, the user must hold the off button down for at least a second. If just a quick press, as I stated above, that interruption could potentially disrupt the shut down and maybe explain the freeze. Again, keep us posted. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:21:36 PM by Marcus »

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 08:03:50 PM »
Hi Etienne,

From your description, the fact that after you push the power button to turn Genos off, the lit buttons became unlit, but the screen was still frozen, it is not that your power down procedure was incorrect, it may be a data corruption related issue.  You may want to contact Yamaha customer support to walk you through the debug procedure to test the health of your Genos.

Before you contact Yamaha customer support, please make sure that you backup your Genos first, because during the debug procedure, some of the tests will effective wipe out your custom settings.

Backup path:  Menu -> Menu2 -> Utility -> Factory Reset / Backup -> 2/2

The backup will be written to the USB stick plugged in the front USB port of Genos.

Thanks,
Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:30:18 PM »
Hello,

I did some interesting tests and i was surprised of the result !!!
First of all I reinstalled firmware v1.10 (you never know it could help).

Genos ON/OFF  --> Freeze screen several times.

Removed all the USB, so no USB connected --> Auto power OFF set to 5 Min --> auto power off OK after 5 min (tested 3 tiems)

USB in front connector --> Auto power doesn't work. No auto shutdown after 5 min. (tested 3 times)
Genos ON/OFF --> Freezing screen.

THEN I REMEMBER I HAD ALSO A USB/VGA ADAPTER FOR MY EXTERNAL MONITOR.

Removed the USB/VGA adapter and a USB in front --> No Auto power OFF
BUT Genos ON/OFF --> OK no more freeze (tested  8 x)

Then USB in back connector --> Genos ON/OFF  --> Ok no freeze (tested 4 x).

Reconnected my USB/VGA adapter --> Genos ON/OFF -->  1 x OK   3 x Freeze

Again without USB/VGA adapter --> ON/OFF Genos --> 4 x OK no Freeze

So my conclusions :
1. apparently Auto power off is not working if there is a USB stick in one of the ports.
2. My USB/VGA adapter ITEC USB2HDTRIO is making my screen freezing when Genos is put OFF.
    PS. The used adapter is in the Yamaha list of compatible adapters.

I will continue to work without my USB/VGA adapter and will see if it solves the problem for a longer time...

I will keep the forum informed ...

Perhaps other members could do some tests, to see if it is particulier for me or for all Genos.

I will also inform Yamaha about these tests and hope that they have a solution.

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
Hi Etienne,

Thanks for your update with the tests, which points to the frozen screen at the USB VGA display adapter only, indicating your Genos is working fine.

i use the Startech USB2VGAPRO2 (DisplayLink DL-195 based) USB to VGA display adapter daily and tested a Plugable UGA-2K-A (USB 2.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI, DisplayLink DL-165 based), both without any frozen screen problem when powering Genos off.

Could this be a monitor related issue?  I use a Dell 21.5-inch S2240T touchscreen monitor with Genos daily and have not seen similar issue.  If you have another available monitor, you can isolate this frozen screen issue to be caused by the USB VGA display adapter, or by the monitor.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:04:56 PM »
@zionip
When I do the test with only the USB/VGA connected it doesn't freeze the screen (6 x OK).

Seems that it is only the combination of a USB/VGA adapter and another USB.

Could you try that with another adapter ?

Regards
Etienne

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:06:05 PM by vlbrgt »
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 09:14:09 PM »
Hi Etienne,

Are you using a USB hub to plug into the USB port at the back of your Genos?  Then you plug the USB to VGA display adapter to one port of the USB hub, and the other USB device, such as a USB flash drive, to another port of the USB hub?

Please answer the following questions precisely so I can run the same test for you:
1.  Is the USB hub powered with additional power adapter, or un-powered, meaning it gets power directly from Genos back USB port?
2.  What kind of USB device did you refer to as "another USB"?  Is it a USB flash drive?
3.  Which port number did you plug your USB to VGA display adapter to the USB hub?  Which port number did you plug the other USB device?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 09:36:37 PM »
Zionip,

Changing the monitor did not solved the problem.
As ITEC USB2HDTRIO has also HDMI i tried connecting via HDMI  --> Stiil freezing.

The USB/VGA is directly connected to the USB port on the back of the Genos. No HUB is used.
This makes that the adapter is powered by the Genos.

Another USB is a USB stick 32GB Kingston DataTraveler USB 3.0.

The USB/VGA is connected at the back USB of the Genos and the USB 32GB stick at the front or under.

Regards
Etienne
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:50:00 PM by vlbrgt »
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
I think i found the problem, but more tests over a longer time, should be done to be sure.

It seems to work with a USB 2.0 stick in combination with the USB/VGA adapter who is USB 2.0 too.

Without the USB/VGA adapter my 32GB USB 3.0 are working, but not in combination with the USB/VGA adapter who is USB 2.0.

So combining 3.0 and 2.0 seems to be the problem.

regards
Etienne

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:57:06 PM by vlbrgt »
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 10:03:41 PM »
Even the Auto power Off seems to work with USB 2.0 !!!

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
Hi Etienne,

I see what you meant. 

All my USB sticks are USB 3.0 and they work fine with my USB 2.0 to VGA display adapters without frozen screen issue when powering Genos off.  Your problem now seems to be isolated to your ITEC USB2HDTRIO USB 2.0 to VGA display adapter.

I have always been using a PNY Turbo 256-GB USB 3.0 flash drive on the front USB port of Genos, and the Startech USB2VGAPRO2 USB to VGA adapter on the back USB port of Genos simultaneously without any frozen screen issue when powering off my Genos.  With this configuration I rebooted Genos for more than a hundred times without frozen screens.

I specifically tested for you the following scenarios with USB 3.0 stick remained plugged in the front USB port of Genos at least 4 times per test case, but all without frozen screen when powering Genos off:

1.  Directly connected Startech USB2VGAPRO2 USB to VGA adapter to back USB port of Genos
2.  Connected a non-powered USB 2.0 hub to the back USB port of Genos, plugged the USB2VGAPRO2 USB to VGA adapter to port 1 of the USB hub
3.  Connected a non-powered USB 2.0 hub to the back USB port of Genos, plugged the USB2VGAPRO2 USB to VGA adapter to port 1 of the USB hub, connected a USB flash drive to port 2 of the USB hub

Perhaps I should also mention that I extended the testing by plugging USB flash drives with different capacities, e.g. 16GB, 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB, only one at a time, to port 2 of the USB hub at the back USB port of Genos.  When Genos got powered up, these USB sticks became USB1, making the USB stick plugged in to the front USB port of Genos changed from USB1 to USB2, which made the Yamaha supplied playlists stopped working.  So, it is a bad idea to have a USB stick installed at the back USB port of Genos.

Auto Power Saving and Auto Power Off features never work on my US Genos.  As a precaution, I actually disabled both to prevent any possible unwanted data corruption associated with Auto Power Off.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:12:26 PM by zionip »

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:52 PM »
Thank you very much Paul for the tests you've done.
Glad that it is not my Genos that has a problem.

So I use 2.0 USB sticks or I need to change the adapter.
That will be for after new Year.

Wishing everybody Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »
Hi Etienne,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

Paul

Offline ckobu

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »
I had Genos for 20 days. I have played it 10 times in public, of which it has froze 3 times. I always carry an analog LG monitor to these performances, for which I use a Delock adapter.
http://www.delock.de/produkte/G_61787/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en
At home I don't use USB VGA adapter and it has never froze while shuting down. I always have an USB 2.00 stick pluged in on the bottom side of the Genos. The problem is obviously the VGA USB adapter.
I have the 1.10 update installed, but even after the reinstallation it has froze.
Auto Power Saving and Auto Power Off are disabled.

https://youtu.be/17Ga8knhmYA
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:52:50 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Reg

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
  I am getting  a frozen screen  when I use the preset and bonus playlists . This happens  intermittently, so I never know when it will it work properly or not.. Reg

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »
Keep in mind that since the advent of the PSR-S950, the power off is not instantaneous for several reasons. First and foremost, you have to hold down the power button for a few seconds before the keyboard will turn off. This feature was put in place to prevent the keyboard from being inadvertently turned off by mistakenly pressing the power button during a performance.

Secondly, when external devices are plugged in the keyboard apparently goes through a shut down sequence, shutting down the various external memory devices. This too is similar to what a PC does when shutting down. This prevents damage to the external storage/memory device. All of these things take time in a world where everyone wants something faster.

Slow down and smell the roses before someone is placing them on your casket. ;)

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Mike2

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »
This has happened to me once. It stayed froze for 2 hours. I unplugged it, and now I just keep my finger on the off button for 2 seconds. I wasn't holding it down long enough. It's fine now, and hasn't happened again.
**Merry Christmas All**

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
Correct you must push the OFF button for at least 1 sec is written in teh manual.
I'm sure I did that, but as already explained for me it was the USB2VGA adapter in combination with 3.0 USB stick that created the problem.

So I would like to ask if there are other members who uses the 'ITEC USB2HDTRIO' adapter in combination with USB 3.0 sticks.
If they have the same problem and can confirm that the adapter is not compatible.
Or if they don't have the same problem then I have perhaps a faulty adapter and I could perhaps try to exchange it with a new one.

Regards
Etienne

Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 12:01:36 PM »
Well I need to come back to what i had written in this topic.

I have tested another USB 3.0 128GB instead of the ones i used before, and this USB does not give any problem when shutting down the genos.

So it seems to be espacially that type of USB in combination with my USB/VGA adapter that causes the problem ???

Regards
Etienne
Volbragte@telenet.be
Genos

Marcus

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »
Glad your issue seems to be solved. I wonder if it would be a good idea for me to trade up my older USB 2.0 sticks for the newer 3.0 versions, that are normally faster, to avoided issues in the future?

I noticed the typical delays when transferring files from my older USB 2.0 stick to the Genos User Drive. Has anyone noticed if the USB 3.0 version are any faster with the Genos? They are not that expensive, but how many extra USB sticks do I need laying around if I can still use my old ones?

Thanks, Marcus
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 01:42:38 PM by Marcus »

Elarryho

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »
I also see the same problem freeze and can not turn off Genos. I have to unplug the power cord.
I think the problem causing by using the Pariot Memory USB. I don't see the problem with the Samsung 64GB USB 3.0.
But from now on, I copied everything on USB to the internal HD and don't leave the USB in the drive.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 11:36:41 PM »
I also see the same problem freeze and can not turn off Genos. I have to unplug the power cord.
I think the problem causing by using the Pariot Memory USB. I don't see the problem with the Samsung 64GB USB 3.0.
But from now on, I copied everything on USB to the internal HD and don't leave the USB in the drive.

I have a 256GB Patriot flash drive in the hidden slot and it's never affected Genos shutdown.