Author Topic: 48 years and still learning the simplist things!  (Read 8868 times)

ekurburski

48 years and still learning the simplist things!
« on: December 12, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »
I took my first computer course in programming (fortran) in 1969 at Central Texas College.  Even got an A in it.  But today I learned that although Win10 appears to automatically open zip files when you click on them it doesn't work on everything.  I j\have been fighting trying to use the EXFiles.zip file d/led from the files lessons here on the site.  My 3000 refused to see the files.  Finally after a week of back and forth here on the forum we came up with the solution.  Interestingly I am registered for 2 programming classes this coming spring semester at my local junior college.  I have more books on programming on my personal bookshelves
than my college library has.  I like to tell folks I have read trough the first chapter or two of each one of them and understand that much.  I got a AA in IT with a concentration in Programming 8-10 years ago and quite frankly can't program 'Hello World" in anything but html without opening a book.  I hope that I might change that with these courses.  Anyway, thank you PRS Tutorial for helping me learn something rather important about the Windows 10 OP.

Earl

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: 48 years and still learning the simplist things!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
Hi Earl,

I too once used fortran in my engineering and land surveying practice, along with about a dozen other languages.  There's always something new to learn.  My dad's words still ring in my ears today, as he was always saying; "Never stop learning, son."

Here's a link to PeaZip, which I believe you will find very useful in extracting the file contents of a Zip file.  It will extract Rar files also.

http://www.peazip.org/index.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 07:36:43 PM »
Roger, mt problem does.t seem to be learning.  It's forgetting!

Earl

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 02:06:48 AM »
My wife told me the my mind was the second thing to go - I don't remember what the first was!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 02:35:26 AM »
My wife told me the my mind was the second thing to go - I don't remember what the first was!

Gary 8)

LOL...  ;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »
Even got an A in it.  But today I learned that although Win10 appears to automatically open zip files when you click on them it doesn't work on everything.
Actually, that behaviour has been in Windows since (at least) Windows XP. The Explorer "opens" the file, which works fine for simple viewing of pictures etc. But if you actually want do so something more complex with the content, you'll have to extract it first, or copy/paste it from the "opened" view, or use a third party tool. I've been using 7Zip for many years, which opens Zip, Rar, 7z and several other formats.

By the way, I've been in software engineering myself too, graduated in computer science 1997. No Fortran, but we did get Cobol, Pascal, C++ etc :)  I've always kept my knowledge up-to-date. One cannot master all tech in detail, but it is enough to know that tech exists and when to use it. You can then master it on a need-to-know basis. And with Windows, I always make sure to know in-depth of all new features in a release, to make sure I use it as efficiently as possible.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:31 AM »
Earl, when you stop learning is when there are bunch of older folks looking down at you resting in a casket saying "Don't Earl look good!" Another reason I no longer attend funerals.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
To learn is to live :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page