Author Topic: Wishes for FAVORITE VOICES  (Read 6156 times)

gerarde

Wishes for FAVORITE VOICES
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:54:42 PM »
It would be good if you could save modified USER voices to FAVORITES.
It would be good when you called up your FAVORITE voices, it did not automatically load the first voice in your FAVORITES.
It would be good to have DIRECT ACCESS to FAVORITE voices.
Currently, you have to press voice on the main screen, and then FAVORITE.

Gerard

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Wishes for FAVORITE VOICES
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »
Hi Gerard,

Regarding the automatic loading of 'Favorite' voices, have you checked the 'Category' setting on the pop-up window called up by touching 'Menu' on the Voice Selection display?

You can set this to 'Open Only' and then when you open the voice selection display, it will simply open on the page containing the currently selected voice, but will not select a voice.

I suspect that this setting won't apply to the Favorite selection screen, but it might be worth trying.  :-\

I agree with you about the inclusion of USER voices (or styles for that mater) as Favorites.  Restricting it to Preset is obviously another example of Yamaha doing what is the easiest to for them to implement, rather than what is genuinely useful to users.

Of course you can make your own 'Favorite' function by simply setting up one or more folders on the USER drive or USB, and put your favourite USER voices/styles, along with copies of Presets into it.   That way they will be in alphabetical order too, rather than the unhelpful order(?) that they appear in the Preset folders!  Although this will involve some wasted space if you copy Presets to a user folder, with the huge amount of available space, this should not really be an issue.

Regards

Ian

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:51:36 PM »
I built up files of user voices (and styles) in the folders and order that I wanted with Tyros and these are now used with Genos. I haven't looked very closely at Favourites yet but offhand I can't see what advantage Favs would have especially if they only can list Presets. In my case almost all the most used files (the ones on the above user lists) are presets that had been "usered" (edited) so not eligible as "Favourites" neither for the Genos system nor for me!  Maybe they are a work in progress and Yamaha intend to update them later.
Having said that user voice files seem less capable of holding all voice data that Genos is now capable of generating. For instance with some quick tests I have done if you add more than 1 insertion DSP to a voice, saving as a user will only keep one of the DSP's. The same apparently applies to OTS (based on 1 quick test). To keep all, you have to save voices in registrations so a change in method may be required for those who find a need to use more than 1 DSP in a voice. I am looking for a need but so far no obvious benfits for non-guitar voices, but early days yet :).
John 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:08:04 PM by jwyvern »

gerarde

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Thanks for the info....
I did set the Category to OPEN ONLY and it worked for the FAVORITE voices.
I can work with that.
Advantage to FAVORITE is you can put them in the order you want them in rather than A to Z.

I also like the idea of creating folders and put what you want in there.
They will be in A to Z order.

Gerard

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
It would be good if you could save modified USER voices to FAVORITES.
It would be good when you called up your FAVORITE voices, it did not automatically load the first voice in your FAVORITES.
It would be good to have DIRECT ACCESS to FAVORITE voices.
Currently, you have to press voice on the main screen, and then FAVORITE.

Gerard

Good suggestions and I too would like to see those implemented.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 05:46:52 PM »
It would be good if you could save Expansion Voices to FAVORITES.
Regards, Michael

Online EileenL

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »
An easy way is to save them to registration banks. Then you can always find them quickly.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Yes, that's how we did in the days of the Tyros...

The favorite flag is a very good idea borrowed from the synths (Motif, MOXF...), which makes life much easier und is much more handy compared to loading registartions, but unfortunatly in Genos it is poorly implemented. Expansion voices cannot be added and there are no categories for quick navigation. Again, room for improvement.
Regards, Michael

Online EileenL

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »
I think in most Yamaha keyboard these sort of things only referred to on board Items. User items you had to deal with differently, mostly by saving into folders for easy use. I don't find pack items to hard to find. Just press Expansion and there they are. Some of my favorite UVN files I use I put into one pack so I can find them quickly.