Author Topic: Early Present for my Birthday Christmas Day iPad Mini 4 128Gb :)  (Read 4514 times)

stitch-up

Early Present for my Birthday Christmas Day iPad Mini 4 128Gb :)
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
Yes, I'm one of those unfortunate ones that shares his birthday with Christmas Day!

My gorgeous wife just asked me to open my birthday present early as, if it's not a suitable model she has a limited time in which to exchange it.

She bought me an iPad mini 4 128Gb with WiFi  :)  :)  :)

So, my question - will the iPad mini 4 work with the Tyros 5? I understand the iPad works with MIDI files whereas Android doesn't. I can change this for another model withing the next few days.

Any advice would be gratefully received :) :)

Regards

John
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:51:29 PM by stitch-up »

stitch-up

Re: Early Present for my Birthday Christmas Day iPad Mini 4 128Gb :)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
It had been about 20 years since I purchased my last keyboard, a Technics KN7000 - I loved it :) At that time Technics were a great Keyboard brand and rightly or wrongly, I always considered the Yamaha offerings as a lesser keyboard!

So roll forward 20 years, last May, I started searching for the latest keyboard from Technics not realising they'd dropped out of the market, so I started widening my choice of other brands which of course included Yamaha. After much reading and listening (Youtube) I decided on the Tyros 5. *** do I love it :) :) :) it's given me so much enjoyment and I'm quite overwhelmed with it's features and I've not even 'scratched the surface' yet.

So now to my iPad Mini 4. Today I downloaded the Yamaha app Repertoire and, to be honest, I'm blown away by the additional features it's given me.

I absolutely love my Tyros 5.

Thanks to reading this forum I continue to discover so much more - so thank you :)

John

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:23:16 PM »
John

Congrats on your new iPad. 

Not sure to understand your question.  Not sure if you want to play midi files on the new iPad or want to use midi files to communicate the iPad to the Tyros 5.

I have an iPad and I connect it to the T5 using a physical cable.  I also use midi files to select a registration on the T5 and via the midis send commands to the iPad to open PDF files.  When selecting a registration on the Tyros 5, this connection automatically opens the PDF files on the iPad showing lyrics, chords, etc.   I use the SongBook+ app.

thanks

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jtrue

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:54 AM »
If you're going to use it to display pdf or jpg files of sheet music you might prefer one of the larger screen models.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

stitch-up

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies,

I guess I'm still wondering what the iPad can do :) As I didn't buy it, I hadn't done a lot of research. However, Yamaha's Repertoire works brilliantly via a wireless connection. If that's all it does, I'm very happy.

John

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
John,

I agree with J. If you plan to make all your sheet music digital and do away with paper, you may want to consider the iPad Pro, or iPad 2nd Generation. These won't do anything more then the mini will do, but you will be able to see it better.
Fred Smith knows the benefits of using an iPad with your keyboard more then most people do. I use mine mostly to display sheetmusic. I believe he uses Songbook which will match the sheetmusic to your registration or vice versa. Fred correct me if I am wrong!
I also use Yamaha Chord Tracker which pulls all the chords from your Mp3 music. I use Yamaha Notestar which you can purchase sheet music from that has backing tracks and vocals which you can just use the vocals to play along with. I use Musicnotes for my sheet music. You can buy sheet music at the site or scan all your own sheet music into PDF's and upload them. This app will not change the registration of the keyboard to match the song.
Then you can purchase a Bluetooth pedal call an Air Turn to turn the pages for you.
Give your wife a big hug, that's a great present!
Welcome to the 21st Century!

Rick D.