Author Topic: How To Get Nice Warm Strings?  (Read 7294 times)

Offline sooty8

How To Get Nice Warm Strings?
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »
Hi Everyone.
I have tried to get a nice string sound on the Tyros 5, I have fiddled around with the EQ settings, but the best way of describing the sound I am getting is that, the sound is sharp.
When I look at some professional YouTube videos I hear a lovely warm string sound, that is what I am trying to get.
Can someone put me in the right direction, thank you.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline panos

Re: How To Get Nice Warm Strings?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:14:44 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQETKtz1Ws&t=718s
Orchestral Strings - 9:45

I dont know if this video will help you how a proffesional uses the keyboard to sound like real strings.
I ussualy add some release for strings,mess around with the rest and combine different string sounds together.
For warm strings the button "touch" in the voice control better be on.

Offline Telmo

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQETKtz1Ws&t=718s
Orchestral Strings - 9:45

I dont know if this video will help you how a proffesional uses the keyboard to sound like real strings.
I ussualy add some release for strings,mess around with the rest and combine different string sounds together.
For warm strings the button "touch" in the voice control better be on.
Steve, you should take a look at the Church & Christmas  Premium Pack. It has some very nice warm string voices. I love them.
Yamaha PSR-SX-900, JBL EON ONE Linear-Array PA System.
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Telmo3190
"We are Old Too quick... and Wise too late."

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi Steve,

Have a look at this older thread, might be helpful (Marcus's and John's reply).

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,30366.msg224575.html#msg224575

I like to layer up the new strings on the T5 with some of the legacy strings like movie,slow or allegro strings from the legacy folder to get rid of some of that "sharpness" btw.

regards,

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:41:22 AM by XeeniX »

Offline sooty8

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:04 AM »
Thank you to everyone for replying to my thread on string sounds, I thought it was just me regarding the sounds I was hearing.
Looking back on previous links which Peter sent me, I realise  this was quite an issue by many members when the Tyros 5 came out.

Thank You All Again

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi Steve --

One of my favorite warm strings sounds had a generic string ensemble layered with a soft analog pad. It's similar to layering a flute with an oboe in order to file down the oboe's edge.

Take care -- pj

Offline sooty8

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Thank you PJ for replying, I have found the Legacy folder and I am layering previous string arrangements with the Tyros 5 strings.
Its strange really how we get used to a sound on a keyboard, than we look for the same sound on our new keyboards.

But I love my new Tyros 5 very good DSP and sound quality.

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

jgriffin

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
i had the same reaction when I went from my Tyros 3 to the Tyros 5.  The difference to me was substantial.  Thanks for all the tips - I am happy with the Genos but will go back and do some tweaking on my Tyros 5 thanks to these posts.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
Haha Janet,

You must have a HUUUUUGE house looking at all the nice instruments at your signature at the bottom ;)
Have fun tweaking :)

Peter