Author Topic: usb stick not working like tutorial  (Read 9690 times)

ekurburski

usb stick not working like tutorial
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
OK inserted new usb into 3000 and tried to follow Joe's directions.  The stick has san disk formating and the one folder exFiles on it.  Nothing shows up.

Reloaded original stick that came with the kb and now see it ind all of its folders.  Don't understand though.  The user disk contains hunderds of files.  I thoght it was supposed to only hold 20-30 files.  The sd card aldo has huge # of files.

Earl

Offline XeeniX

Re: usb stick not working like tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Did you check what kind of files are in that folder? As in on your 3000 style wiles wil not show up when you check the folder via teh registration load button (J) same goes for other files. Only the appropriate files for the button you choose will be shown.

There is btw also a limit to the number of files that can reside in one single folder.
Depending on what keyboard you have. I don't know the limit for an A3000 by heart, but test it with lets say 250 style files copied into a folder on that usb drive (do that on your pc) and then connect it to your keyboard. Push the style button (D) and see if something shows up. If not reduce the number of files if they do show up go back to your pc and copy 100 more into that same folder and repat until they do NOT show up by then you will know how many files you can fit into one folder.

Then there is the filename length limit. If filenames are too long (again you can test this by creating some files with long names). Files with too long names will not be shown.

Does the stick work properly on your A3000? Can you for example save a style to it?

Peter

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Earl, you can only see the files in the category you are looking at. For example, if you select style file, then tab to the USB drive, you will not see the registrations, midi files, etc... You will just see style files. If you want to see registrations, you must be in the registration section of the keyboard, same with midi files.  Now, you can see individual folders, but when you open those folders in the wrong area, they will appear empty, when they actually do hold an enormous amount of files.

Hope this clears things up for you,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:49 PM »
Thank you for translating my typo's into English Gary ;)

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »
Now you know why I get the big bucks! ;)

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 12:19:57 AM »
Since it is almost Christmas.... Do you mind sharing some of those bucks? :P

Peter
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:21:16 AM by XeeniX »

ekurburski

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:26:39 AM »
Gary, I know that I can only see what I'm  looking at.  Not that simple.  The stick that you sent with the kb seems to be working fine.  I am trying to follow the instructions on the site for the file systems.  I d'led the files ExFiles and saved it to a new stick.  I did not do anything else.   I did not format the stick.  I can see the the file ExFiles on the stick and its contents on my computer.  When I insert it into the kb I can see that I have a usb stick but when I go to the different menus they are all empty.  I also tried to save the Garys usb to an empty stick but the kb doesn't seem see that at all.  I have been getting around on the stick you sent and am finding the files you had on it. 

I didn't want to try and save anything to that stick as I have not been able to copy it and back it up.  I would hate to screw it up and not have the stuff you sent with it. 

I hate to admit it but I'm afraid I'm going to have to bother you and call you and have you walk me through it.  Didn't want to admit I'm to dumb to figure this out myself.  Have to go to see Doc in the am tomorrow but might try and call you in afternoon if you don't mind.

Earl

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 03:10:34 AM »
Hi Earl,

The example download 'ExFiles' is a zipped archive, and although you will be able to see it's contents on a computer, your keyboard will not be able to use the files until they have been extracted (unzipped) from the zip download.

If you have not unzipped the download, this is likely to be why you can't see the files on your 3000.

If you have a PC running Windows 7 or later, you can unzip the download without needing any third party software, but however you do it,  you will need to unzip them before you can use them on your 3000.  This will also apply to any other downloads that you make in the future that are zipped!

Regards

Ian

ekurburski

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »
Ian.
Duh...  When I click on the zipped file in win 10 it opens the file as unzipped and I copied that file to the stick.  Are those files in fact not unzipped?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:55:56 AM »
Hi Earl,

As I said, Windows will open a zipped archive and show the contents in Windows Explorer (or whatever), but if you check the details or properties of one of the files listed, you will see that it shows the compressed size and other details which suggest that it is actually compressed. Compare that with the properties shown for a file that you know for sure is not zipped.  Whilst some programs seem to be able to use files in this form (I think that Windows refers to them as being 'deflated'), I don't think that your 3000 will be able to use them unless they are properly extracted.

The easy way to check is to simply unzip the download, copy the files to the USB and see if your 3000 now lists them.  If it does, then you will know what you need to do in future with zipped files.

Edit:  I have just tried copying a few of the styles in the ExFiles download from the files  shown in Windows Explorer after just 'opening' the zip archive without specifically extracting them.  I pasted them into a folder on a USB stick and tried it in my Tyros4.  To my surprise they were listed by the keyboard and I was able to select and load them!  So this may not be the cause of your problems.  However it is probably still worth trying unzipping them first.  I have learned something from this, but I think that I will continue to extract files from zipped archives before putting them to the keyboard!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:19:24 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
Earl, I have to go to the VA Hospital tomorrow morning, but I should be home by 5 p.m.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:15 AM »
Ian, I have been thinking about this off and on all day & I think we may have discovered my problem.  I will check this out tomorrow and get back to you all.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 06:13:33 PM »
Hi Earl,

I have looked into what Windows Explorer can do with 'zipped' files, and in the version included in Windows 7 at least, it does indeed 'extract' them if you first 'open' the archive (double click on it), select files or folders from the display, and then move them to another location.

You can use Copy (or Cut) & Paste or even just drag the selection to the new folder.  The files in the new location are fully extracted and should then be usable on your 3000.

However if you simply copy or transfer the 'zipped' folder to a new location, it remains zipped.

So if you transferred the complete 'ExFile' download to a USB stick, the files in it will still be zipped and your keyboard won't be able to see or use them.  If you actually opened the archive in Explorer and selected/transferred the files from there to USB, they should be OK. 

I have always extracted zipped archives before trying to use their contents, either using Explorer's 'Extract All...' function, or using '7 Zip' for more control or for other compressed formats, and I will probably continue to do so even knowing the above.

Even if your problem is not because the files are still compressed, at least your query has taught me something about Windows that I didn't know, so thanks for that!   ;) ::)

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:24:02 PM by tyrosaurus »

ekurburski

Re: SUCCESS!!usb stick not working like tutorialSUCCESS
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:47:37 PM »
That was it!!  You MUST actually extract the files from the zip file for them to be seen on the 3000!