Genos (12 Boards) > Genos - General

My Pa4x failed last week. How reliable is a made in China Genos?

<< < (6/6)

travlin-easy:
Wow! I must really be old. I remember when all capacitors were made by Sprague Corporation, which was US based. Amazing!

Keep in mind that most electronic products are no longer bench tested before being released. The reason is that the failure rate of electronic devices is less than 1/10th of 1-percent. Bench testing before releasing would be cost prohibitive for most products, including keyboards and computers.

My first exposure to electronics was when I was just 10 years old. I used to gather old radios from the sidewalks on trash day back then, take them home, strip down the chasis for the parts, vacuum tubes, sockets, capacitors, resistors, coils, transformers, etc..., then sort them out into small boxes. I eventually collected enough parts to construct my own short-wave transmitter and receiver and at age 12 I took the exam for my General Class Short Wave License and passed. Back then, it was a very difficult examination, and you had to know how to draw schematic diagrams of transmitters, receivers, power supplies, etc..., all from memory and electronic theory in order to pass. Additionally, you had to be able to send and receive Morse Code at 20 words per minute. Not so today. Today's Ham Radio license is much, much easier, and with a few nights of studying, most anyone could pass.

How things have changed,

Gary  8)

MarkF_48:

--- Quote from: travlin-easy on December 15, 2017, 12:27:01 AM ---
My first exposure to electronics was when I was just 10 years old. I used to gather old radios from the sidewalks on trash day back then, take them home, strip down the chasis for the parts, vacuum tubes, sockets, capacitors, resistors, coils, transformers, etc..., then sort them out into small boxes. I eventually collected enough parts to construct my own short-wave transmitter and receiver and at age 12 I took the exam for my General Class Short Wave License and passed. Back then, it was a very difficult examination, and you had to know how to draw schematic diagrams of transmitters, receivers, power supplies, etc..., all from memory and electronic theory in order to pass. Additionally, you had to be able to send and receive Morse Code at 20 words per minute. Not so today. Today's Ham Radio license is much, much easier, and with a few nights of studying, most anyone could pass.

How things have changed,

Gary  8)

--- End quote ---
Your childhood pretty much mirrors mine. Weekend trips to the local town landfill with my Dad, I collected radio and TV chassis for parts salvage to build various projects. Was also fortunate that a couple of local electronic manufacturers also discarded some of their parts and test gear at the same landfill. Didn't build a shortwave transmitter, but one that broadcast on the regular AM band and I played the part of a 'radio DJ' for a month or so until complaints of radio interference (harmonics) in the neighborhood led the local police to my doorsteps. I even remember the output tube as being a 6BQ6 from a salvaged TV. Heathkit and Knight kits were the usual Christmas and birthday gifts. First transistor project at about age 13 was using a Raytheon CK722 germanium PNP that my Dad had gotten for me. Worked a few summers part time for a local radio/TV repairman. Never went on to get the ham license as the code part was my stumbling block.
At age 69 I still collect a few old tube record players and similar occasionally to do conversions to low power guitar amps.

mus07:
Korg PA4X is made in Italy but like just about every electronic device in your house there are very likely some components from China - nothing wrong with that at all. Often the reliability of musical instruments (especially electronic) falls back on the care of them (- road crew too!!!). I doubt there is much between the reliability of Genos and PA4X - two amazing instruments.

(One batch of Tyros 4s were faulty due to shipping conditions - so problems can be caused at any time)

Cheers

Pete :)

tangothomas:
Please do remember that the quality problems with things from China in heavily dependent on us in the western countries. We want cheep goods so we can consume a lot. The more the better. The one who has the most things when he dies win! We are always looking for best prices. Thats why the "Workshop of the world" massproduces plastic toys, electronics, tools - you name it.

And many of the problems in China is related to consumers in our countries, pollution, working conditions an so forth. (Iīm talking about you and me). And China can produce really good quality if that is desirable and can have really good QC. I have been there and there is High and Low just like in Russia and US. And I have had many cars during the years from "Over There" and the Chevys and Jeeps didnīt offer the same build quality as Volvo and Saab.

(I assume you know that China today has subcontractors in poor countries in Africa where the workers are cheaper than chinese laborer so they can push the prices further down.)

Robert van Weersch:

--- Quote from: Will49 on December 14, 2017, 06:33:21 PM ---(...) they much preferred to say that the Rolls "failed to proceed". (...) "elected to remain stationary"!

So perhaps a time will come when people reporting to Yamaha that their keyboard has broken down, or won't power up, they will hear this reply... "no it hasn't sir, your keyboard has merely elected to remain silent"!!! ;D

--- End quote ---
Or, to use another quote: the keyboard is in an advanced state of non-functionality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version