Author Topic: Trading keyboards plus cash for a T5  (Read 4803 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Trading keyboards plus cash for a T5
« on: December 11, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
I finally played a T5, for second time. After the first time, a few years back, I had a sneaking suspicion that the T5 was a bit better for me than T4. Other than the volume sliders, I cannot quite put my finger on what makes me think the T5 is better for me.

Guitar Center has a used T5 selling at approx $3200+. I forgot that precise amount, but mid 3200.
I am thinking that price is, what, maybe $500 more than I could find one used. But $500 is not too bad, IF I can trade in a number of keyboards.
I own a number of boards including the T4..
Your thoughts on trading up to the T5?
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline XeeniX

Re: Trading keyboards plus cash for a T5
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 02:26:40 PM »
Hi,

I switched after 3 years from T4 to T5 in May this year (Genos was still a rumour and there was no exact release date known). I can't tell you anything about pricing since that may differ from region to region or even country to country. I didn't switched from a used T4 to a used T5. Mine was probably one of the last ones left that was brand new :)

I can tell you though that it was worth my money. It took a few weeks to get used to the different sound and I needed to fool around with the EQ settings as well. The T5, for me, is not an instrument that is plug and play like my T4 was but I never regretted switching. It has quite a lot more to offer depending on your needs of course. I guess that you have to decide for yourself if you can miss the cash and if you want a tad more keyboard :)

Peter
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:25:40 PM by XeeniX »

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
Interestingly, the previous owner left all his numerous registrations in his T5!!
They are quite nice!
I am cash light.. but own a number of boards I could trade in.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 03:36:41 AM »
Can you give a bit more detail on what aspects and sounds or voices in T5 require a few weeks to manage? And how that makes t5 different from t4? And what specific voices you prefer to t4?

Are any new t5's available?

What is a typical asking price for the 61 note t5?
Typical selling price for fair to good condition t4?

I cannot put my finger on why I like t5 better than its predecessor the t4, but I know I do. Any details about why I like it better ( and I am not even dealing with the extra organs nor the ensemble voices.. no, I know those make t5 better) t5 better, would energize my efforts to sell a lot of my gear to get it.
I played a t5  a few years ago, and never could get it out of my mind.

Thank you

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »

I had to get used to what sounded to me as a too flat overal sound. That part was solved after lowering the mid freq. a little and boosting the high and low freq. The string section is great but sounds a little err bright/sharp? in my ears. It took me a few weeks to get used to that sound but now that I have I  like them and tweak with effects and bright filter etc. to change them when needed. My personal favorites on the T5? I don't really have one in particular but for sections I think the brass section, woodwind section are the ones where quite a lot of new great voices are located compared to T4. The jazz trumpet, muted trumpet and orch trumpets and horns. The new jazz and Classical flute and the new SA tenor sax to name a few. Fun to experiment with is organ world and of course the ensemble voices. The sounds are awesome! Tough to play though those ensemble voices, since they require the player to use special techniques and I have uhh many "techniques" ;) but none of them that fantastic when it comes to ensemble voices. I'm learning though.... :)

The above is what I think causing me to choose the T5 over the T4. It is very personal though and other people will undoubtedly have other points which perhaps come closer to your personal taste. I think though that the end result is the same though. The T5 wins. The only thing you have to do is to go to a store with an interesting offer and play the keyboard again then deciding if it is worth it;s money and you trading in so many other things for it. There's no-one who can advise you on that....

The price is a tough one and differs per region but here in Holland a 2nd hand Tyros5 at a dealer will cost about 2400 - 2800 euro depending on it's age and condition. Trading in a T4 will hand you around 1600 euro but perhaps less when traded in on a 2nd hand Tyros 5. I don't know if there are still is a new Tyros 5 for sale but unless a shop was overstocking the Tyros 5 at the last minute which is doubtful I think not many to none. You should ask around in your region though since I'm only guessing :)

Peter

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:53 PM »
XeeniX

So nice of you to provide all this feedback. I appreciate it.

I went on YouTube last night to hear more T5 demos. While there I happened upon another Genos video. That darned thing really sounded really good! 

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »
True, but the difference in price probably is something that will hold you back. Unless of course you have a truck full with other keyboards to trade in ;) Guessing the difference in price will be somewhere in the range of 1800-2000 euro's extra.

Peter