Author Topic: Peter Barkmann and The Genos  (Read 4358 times)

Rolf Lindell

Peter Barkmann and The Genos
« on: December 09, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
I found this on youtube. It's in German but I Think it is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVq81hUkoEk

Offline DrakeM

Re: Peter Barkmann and The Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Too bad you can't really read the Big Screen to see what the name of the style is that he uses for each song.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
Too bad you can't really read the Big Screen to see what the name of the style is that he uses for each song.

I really like the style and slider progressions with it that he uses for One More for the Road. The screen is impossible to read precisely but I believe the style shows as OneforxxxxxxxxxxxxxBallad. This name does not exist as a Genos preset unless I have missed it on many occasions. So I think Peter sometimes renames styles for his demos.
The icon  shows as Jazz and the most likely candidate I think is CoolJazzBallad for the accompaniment, although not the default OTS. That style does not come across with the presence in the demo until you start playing with the sliders. You can also have fun applying Distortions or Compressor DSP's to the drums to bring them more into prominence where useful.
John
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:19:20 PM by jwyvern »

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:59:22 AM »
I really like the style and slider progressions with it that he uses for One More for the Road. The screen is impossible to read precisely but I believe the style shows as OneforxxxxxxxxxxxxxBallad. This name does not exist as a Genos preset unless I have missed it on many occasions. So I think Peter sometimes renames styles for his demos.
The icon  shows as Jazz and the most likely candidate I think is CoolJazzBallad for the accompaniment, although not the default OTS. That style does not come across with the presence in the demo until you start playing with the sliders. You can also have fun applying Distortions or Compressor DSP's to the drums to bring them more into prominence where useful.
John

Hi John,

I downloaded the Youtube video, took a screen snapshot from VLC media player, cropped and upscaled the monitor display, ran "Focus Magic" plug-in on Photoshop, and the style Peter used was a user style that looked like "OneforroadBallad".

Other recognizable section is:  Song A  Game of Thrones

Thanks,
Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: dragon

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:09:38 AM »
That is not the CoolJazzBallad style that he used. I have that style on my S950 and when he hits the drummer fill in at 10:06 (2nd Main) that roll is totally different with a flurry of hits. Also the Bass line is much fancier too. I think it might even be an 8 bar part that is playing and not the typical 4 measure pattern in an ordinary factory preset style.

I am just curious as to what Yamaha is using when they demo these keyboards. As you have pointed out the style name is not a Yamaha regular style or even something set up using a registration. The song is "One for my Baby (and One for the Road)", which jazz isn't my genre of music and I am not that familiar with the styles in the jazz section.

I did find a YouTube video of Willie Nelson and Leon Russell covering it.   ;D

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:21:51 AM by DrakeM »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
Thanks Paul and Drake,
I was initially expecting all out-of-the-box features in line with what used to be reported as the case with Tyros demos, so tried to mentally force the style into being one of the presets. The bass accomp helps to really make that song and unfortunately I can't find a PS style that seems to come close and as Drake says, it is not CoolJazzBallad. Never mind it sounds good if you are prepared to put the work in I guess, or maybe find and pay for the style! I wonder what Peter did!
John