Author Topic: First Gig With Genos  (Read 23120 times)

Offline stephenm52

First Gig With Genos
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »

I had a great reaction today playing the Genos at a Friday gig!  It as an annual Christmas open house gig at an upscale assisted living facility I play all Christmas music.  I usually setup near a fireplace in the lobby, the buffet of food and drinks that’s served is one door over but people come in and out of the facility to visit have some food, relax and listen to me play.  I’ve been paying this gig every year for the last 5 years and I’ve used the T5, Pa3x and Pa4x, but today’s reaction was fantastic.  More people lingered and sat in the lobby to listen to me play, applause was  constant not the occasional applause you get playing at an event like today’s.  WOW is all I can say.  I used my Bose Compact to amplify the Genos.  Lots of great alive styles  I love the acoustic blues style and used it for ‘Blue Christmas” wow using the harmonica and the acoustic resonator guitar.  When I played Blue Christmas and went from the guitar to the harmonica, people stopped and really took notice!  AMAZING!!!!!

What made my day was  there were 2 musicians in the audience, one a pianist and the other a solo guitarist, the guitarist made it a point to come talk to me while I was breaking equipment down.  The pianist sat near me and told me he was just amazed at not only how great the Genos sounded but the command I had over working the board to get the most out of it.   
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline alans

Re: First Gig With Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »
Hi Steve

Thats great to know it went so well,I suppose with your first gig with Genos you were feeling a bit anxious,but now you have broken the ice you can feel more relaxed when playing out.

Good wishes for the future with Genos

Alan 😀😀
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »
Hello Stephen.
Congratulations on your gig with the Genos. And I wish you many more happy gigs like this one.
It seems like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

Even more interesting is that the 2 musicians in the audience were absolutely blown away by the sound and your playing abilities. I wish I was there too.
I love hearing about personal gigging experiences like this one.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas in advance.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:19:40 PM by Pianoman »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »
Pianoman and Alans thank you for your comments.   After using the Korg at this gig for the last couple of years I was a bit hesitant of changing boards but the ice was broken for sure. 

Pianoman the 2 musicians were really put the icing on the cake.   Merry Christmas right back to you Pianoman!

I don't think I posted this thought, when I arrived home with the Genos, my wife took one look at it said, " I don't know why you wanted another keyboard, they all look the same?"   Then I fired the Genos up and played a couple of tunes.  Her reply then was "WOW this is the best sounding one out of all of them you've played." 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
Stephen,

Once you manage to convince the wife, you know that you've got it made.

My wife has been making similar noises, and saying that the house is full of keyboards already.
I even have my Roland G800 still.

She handles knives like a maestro Chef. I'll have to lock them away in a cabinet every night, once I buy another keyboard.
I still have nightmare visions about Lorena Bobbitt.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:25:36 PM by Pianoman »

Offline hammer

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:02:24 PM »
Stephan,
I am getting the same reactions from audiences when playing the Genos.  I too have been playing Christmas gigs and it seems the overall sound has been improved so much over the Tyros 4 that even those with little to no music background notice a difference.   Kind of makes you wonder where Yamaha will go next with the Genos 2???

Deane

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Stephan;
Congrats on your Geno's  :D
Makes you feel really good knowing that your efforts are appreciated especially from musicians as well as the people there in general. Musician's usually can pick up on the details of an instrument or technique a general crowd wont. The people like you Steve  :)

Regards
Craig "Keyboardist"
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 04:43:17 PM »

Hi Steve and Deane --

Thanks for sharing your experiences with Genos. I'm looking forward to playing it more than ever!

I'm willing to bet that your musicianship had a lot to do with drawing applause.

All the best -- pj

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments.   

Pianoman, funny, yes you better hide those knives.  I guess when it comes to toys even though we may use them as a source of income wives can frown on the purchases.

Deane,  Glad to hear that your audiences are taking notice of the improved sound as well.  My wife did make another comment when she heard the Genos she said, “ they all sounded good and I’d never thought the sound could get any better.”  Your comment about Genos2, just makes us wonder.

Craig, Thank you when musicians pick up and notice that goes a very long way.

PJ, You played the Genos at Frank’s so you know you’re gonna love the Genos!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline manuel

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
I am so glad for you Stephen!!....I got almost a mirror reaction too......the people knows what they hear..!!!

Keep it going !!

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
Steve, I knew you would love what you heard coming from the Genos. Sure wish I were younger - I would have one by now.

Merry Christmas old friend,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 11:09:47 PM »
Manuel, Thank you, I know you can speak first hand since you’ve been playing a Genos for a few weeks!

Gary,  Thanks buddy, it was great to speak with you by phone yesterday.  Your timing was impeccable you called as I was just about to load my gear into my van after the gig so you got to hear  first hand about the gig.  Merry Christmas to you and family.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 11:07:42 AM »
Hi Stephen,

Glad to hear you had a positive reaction for your Genos debut.
Getting other musicians, entertainers to even get a nod or wink is quite flattering.
Smiles all the way.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »
Thank you Elaine :)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 01:33:52 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for sharing your gigging experience. Question: you said you used one Compact? How did the pianos sound? Normally, they sound "boxy and out of phase." I always use two Compacts for stereo. I'm curious to hear your comments about using just the one. Thanks!

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
Hello Stephen.

I forgot to mention this story. There was a Psr Tutorial member who goes by the name of The Wizard, who was in the audience listening to my music here, in June or July of this year I think.

He is a musician himself but also with inside knowledge about upcoming Yamaha keyboards.
For the sake of his privacy, I can't say how or why he has that inside knowledge.

He came over to talk to me when I had finished playing, to tell me how impressed he was by the gig and my handling of the T3.
I told him that I was thinking of upgrading to a T5 soon.

He then told me that it's all secret at the moment, but there's definitely a new Yamaha arranger coming out soon, and it will be called Genos.
And that it would be even better than the T5, so it would be worth my time to wait a little longer.

Other people, probably on this forum, may also have known about the Genos way back in advance, but I had not scanned the music world for new products since 2010, when the T4 was launched, so I knew nothing about new keyboards.

I heard about the T5 by chance, when an electrician,  who came to fix a problem at my apartment, saw my T3, and told me that he owns a T5.

I had received a PM from him in October, saying that he knew it was me when he saw a post under the name of Pianoman.

I've just conducted a search in the members list though. It seems that apart from the PM, he hasn't posted anything else.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:19:27 PM by Pianoman »

HalUnlimited

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
Hi Stephen. Congratulations on your Genos acquisition and your totally successful first gig.  I especially liked your post because you reported receiving new positive reactions to your new keyboard.  This directly addresses all those other web comments by people that don't have the Genos, and broadly claim, that no one in the audience can hear the difference between which TOTL keyboard we play.  I never believed that to be true, and your observation verifies that.  Even if it were true  that most could not distinguish between the Genos and another brand or even versus a Tyros 4/5, the important thing IMO is that we, ourselves, can definitely hear it.  And I’m not even saying that one TOTL keyboard is better than another.  Only saying that we are free to have a personal preference.  As we play these instruments, we can discriminate and appreciate the difference for ourselves. I don’t underestimate the value, reward and satisfaction that we get from playing on something special. Who doesn't like working with great tools that fit us well? It's definitely a motivator to want to continue using those tools creatively. Best wishes for continued performance success and enjoyment.   P.S. Just acquired my first arranger, the Genos.  Hal

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 06:35:58 PM »
Lee, I find using one Compact the pianos have improved, however having the 2 with stereo it sounds better. I have an LD Maui 5 too, but for most of the size venues I play hauling 2 systems doesn’t make sense. 

Pianoman,  From what I’ve seen of your videos you’re at the top of the heap on the way you handle the T3. Great story on the heads up on a new arranger.  From what I’ve heard there are some exciting things that are going to happen with Genos come early 2018, I was told that from a reliable source......it wasn’t my dealer either. :)

Hal, Great to see you posting here welcome to the PSR forum.  Congratulations on your new Genos too!  Great post too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

DonM

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 07:01:25 PM »
Steve, if you ever have a powered speaker fail at the job, you'll  wish you had brought two of them!  :)  I had a Bose Compact fail on two occasions, never a Maui yet, and I changed about two years ago. 
Beside I DESERVE to here my wonderful sound in stereo!  :)
Merry Christmas my friend!

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 07:15:56 PM »
Steve, if you ever have a powered speaker fail at the job, you'll  wish you had brought two of them!  :)  I had a Bose Compact fail on two occasions, never a Maui yet, and I changed about two years ago. 
Beside I DESERVE to here my wonderful sound in stereo!  :)
Merry Christmas my friend!

Don,  Great advice from a guy who is a seasoned pro like yourself, thanks for the tip.  Merry Christmas to you as well!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
I guess I have been extremely fortunate in that I have never had a gear failure on the job. The only thing that every failed was me! One afternoon just over a year ago, my lungs and back both gave out during a two hour job. I had to end the job about 15 minutes earlier than scheduled, but the management completely understood and I still got paid. The following day I was hospitalized with Pneumococcal Pneumonia, just three weeks after receiving the Prevnar 13 Pneumonia shot at the VA Clinic. After three days in the hospital, I decided that retirement was in order - I was right.

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 10:25:09 PM »
With the wonderful effects and voices in these high-end arrangers, I can’t imagine anyone not playing in stereo.  Yes, it’s an extra speaker to tote.  But, the results are worth it, despite that extra trip to the car, loading the elevator, hauling stuff to the 3rd floor restaurant, as I do weekly.

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 11:18:27 PM »
Thanks for the review, Stephen (mono vs. stereo Bose).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 11:21:58 PM »
Hang in there, Gary. We're stronger with you than without  ;D!! Just glad you're back  on your pins.

J.Larry, fortunately today you can get excellent gear that doesn't weigh as much as a 1961 VW!!

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 03:26:09 PM »
Wow.

With the conversation about the Bose Compact system above, I decided to have a look at what Thomann charges per column.
The L1 Compacts cost 1045€ each over here. Two will cost 2090€.

My entire sound gear costed me 1500€ new, probably less now, but the output is 3000 Watts of sound, if you include the Subwoofer.
I have looked at both Thomann, and the Bose website. It seems that both have made a choice of leaving out any details about power output.

So how much sound output does each Bose Compact column have?

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 03:30:14 PM by Pianoman »

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »
I think my Compacts each produce about 135 watts RMS. Don't go by wattage. It's often an unreliable indicator of how many people you can serve with music and voice.

I have a pair of vintage Altec Lansing A-7 800, Voice of the Theater domestic enclosures with original components. I use them for my home theater. At 45 watts, they'll rip your eyes out of their sockets at 30 feet away. I've heard speakers that need 500 watts just to start sounding interesting. There are a lot of variables!!

* I just opened the datasheet for my Compacts. They are 130 watts with SPL (Sound Pressure Levels) of 106 dB continuous, 112 dB peak.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:11:32 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »
Pianoman,  Based on the rave reviews of the Maui LD5 at about $500 less than a Bose compact, I bought one, gotta say it’s great value for the money.  Earlier this year I met up with a friend who is also a one man band entertainer we did an A/B test and although both the Bose and Maui sounded excellent we both agreed we preferred the Maui just a little bit better, but based on $500 less her in the states, you cannot go wrong.

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/maui-5-ultra-portable-column-pa-system-with-mixer-and-bluetooth/

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
Thanks Stephen.
Thomann sells those too over here.
I would have to buy 2 of these.

http://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/maui-series/maui-28-g2-compact-column-pa-system-with-mixer-and-bluetooth-black/

Best Regards,
Pianoman
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:42:13 PM by Pianoman »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
Abby, I have used the Bose L1 PAS and L1 Compact systems for more than a decade. With the L1 PAS system, I performed some huge venues, with up to 1,200 people, most of which were drunk out of their mind and wanted nothing but gut thumping rock and roll music. I had absolutely no trouble handling that crowd, it was an outdoor venue at a large marina, and folks who where in the next marina said they were really enjoying the music as well.

Using a single Bose L1 Compact, I have performed for crowds to 150 people, the coverage far exceeds anyone's wildest dreams and the falloff at 100 feet is less than 10 percent. Additionally, it eliminates the need for a monitor, because you hear exactly what the audience hears. You don't have to crank up the volume for the person in the back of the venue to hear the music. They hear the same volume as the person sitting at a table 6 feet from the keyboard.

I also used the L1 Compact for a huge marina NYE party about 5 years ago, while cruising the Florida Keys and living aboard my sailboat. I set up just outside a big tiki hut, and while the party started off with just a dozen couples, by the end of the night, I had more than 350 people there, which was well above the area's occupancy capacity. People a quarter mile away in anchored sailing yachts and motor yachts came ashore the next day and said they were dancing on the decks of their boats to the music and could hear it just fine. I was blown away. :) The only complaints were from local nite club and bar owners, claiming that I drew people away from their establishments and they did not get the NYE crowd they normally get because there was no cover charge where I was performing at the marine. I played for tips that night and managed to make about $600. It was a fun night.

At the end of the night, a half dozen musicians came up to me and asked about the sound system. When I pointed at the Bose, they said "No. Where are your other speakers?" They were astounded at how much power and clarity came in such a little package.

I have only heard the Maui 5 system one time. It had a bit more bass, but not significantly more, and while it was fairly clear, I don't believe it was as clear as the Bose L1 Compact or L1 PAS. It does not have the horizontal coverage of a Bose. Bose is 210 degrees while Maui is just 120 degrees.

Now, the Maui 5 is about half the price of the Bose L1 Compact, which I guess is a plus, but price was the last thing I was concerned about. I wanted my audiences to enjoy the highest quality music I could provide, and Bose definitely provided that for me.

In this part of the world, Bose has outstanding service, especially for those of us who are making a living as musical entertainers. Most of the time, if you have a problem, which I never had, but I know others that did, they overnighted a replacement system to them so they would not lose a work night. I know of no other company that would do that for an OMB entertainer.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
Great review, Gary. Extra neat hearing about your NYE venue. I must have been out when you phoned :)!! I'm sure a seasoned second T5 player like myself, would have been a blast.

I too am VERY pleased with my two Bose Compacts. I added a 15 inch sub, of my own design, which does the heavy lifting for larger venues. I drive it with a Behringer iNuke 6000 with built in crossover and filters. My sub is made from a 15 inch Eminence neodymium driver. As older guys, I'm sure you agree, that gear weight becomes priority. My 600 watt sub weighs in at only 40 pounds. The iNuke 6000 is 7 pounds and rides separately. I feed a line out signal from my SoundCraft mixer to the amp, and then on to the sub. Great combo!

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 11:26:54 PM »
Gear weight was brutal when I was young. I had a pair of Peavey SP1G speakers that tipped the scales at 105-pounds each and the mixer/amp weighed in at about 50 pounds. Had to use a refrigerator dolly with balloon tires to move the speakers into the venue, and they barely fit through the door.

Then I downsized to a pair a SP-5Gs, which only weighed 78 pounds each. Of course, I was in my 30s back then and the weight difference was great. When I purchased a pair of 450-watt RMS Barbetta Sona 32SCs that only weighed 32 pounds, I thought I died and went to heaven, and damned near did one night when some drunk tripped over one of the cables and one of them came tumbling down on my head rendering me unconscious. They hauled me off to the hospital that night and I ended up with a half dozen staples in my noggin.

Now, my 23-pound Bose L1 Compact was a dream come true. Only a couple pounds heavier than the keyboard, easy to pick up and put in place, they sat right next to me so no wires for anyone to trip over, and I sold my Yamaha monitor for what I paid for it a couple years earlier. Life was good! :)

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:09 AM »
Ah, I too remember those days Gary. You're one or two up on me. My heaviest PA was two 15 inch Yorkville Pulse PR 350s. They were great speakers and only 70 pounds each, but I had to place them on top of speaker stands.

I love the weight of the Bose Compacts. The only problem I have is, in the the seniors' venues, the old folks love to come over for a chat after the show and lean on the speakers like a friggin' lamp post!! Bob (my music buddy - guitar and vocals) and I have taken to packing gear bags around the base of the Bose so people can't get close enough.

I've even had people come over, stand right beside a Compact, and ask where my speakers are!!?? How times and gear have changed!!

DonM

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 03:06:30 AM »
I had the big Bose L1s, two of them.  Overkill for everything I did.  Got two Bose Compacts when they first came out and found them outstanding.
Two years ago I sold the Compacts and bought two LD Systems Maui 5s.  They are half the price of the Bose and sound better.  They have deeper bass, e.q., more inputs and outputs including Bluetooth and are easier to transport.  They make a great system for a reasonable price.
If you do really large venues the Maui 11s are a great choice, but I haven't found anything the 5s can't handle, up to 150 or 200 people, even outdoors.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2017, 03:12:59 AM »
I’ve not experienced people leaning on the speakers, yet.  But, how about those folks (not necessarily old), who like to chat and lean on your keyboard, with a drink in their hand?  I’ve got two keyboard-playing friends, who both had to send keyboards in for repairs from drinks that drunks spilled directly into the keybed of their instruments.

DonM

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2017, 03:38:11 AM »
These days I have a steel rail around my setup.  In the past, this wasn't possible, but when somebody started to do that, I would stop what I was doing, stand up and tell them they couldn't! 
I have had a couple people try to grab the poles on the Bose or Mauis.  Same thing, you have to tell them politely, "Hey that won't hold you and it might SHOCK you!".

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 05:13:49 AM »
I've had dozens of people try to lean on my Bose L1 and L1 Compact columns. I solved the problem by attaching bright red signs that said "Danger - High wattage - do not touch" It didn't stop everyone, but most of the offenders backed off when they saw that sign.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
Maui doesn't seem to have a Canadian dealer. I typed in "Toronto" in their dealer search, and nothing came up.

I'm with you Don. I'll stop playing when someone gets too close. I haven't had any issues yet, but I tell them it's at least $400 to have a tech open one of these keyboards (don't know the real figure). That gets their attention. I've also stopped playing in bars with rock bands. The customers are often too rude and ignorant. It's all corporate work for me now :)!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:01:17 PM by Lee Batchelor »

jgriffin

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
Yes Don....I'm still enjoying your old Bose speakers!!  And they are even light enough for girly work.   :)

DonM

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2017, 08:55:48 PM »
Yes Don....I'm still enjoying your old Bose speakers!!  And they are even light enough for girly work.   :)
Janet, when you bought mine, I went to a larger system, but soon bought another set of the Compacts, and continued using them for a couple of years.  Bose was the pioneer in this technology, but now several other companies have jumped aboard and some have even made improvements, and they all seem to be more economical.  Competition is great for the end users!

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Janet, I clicked the link in your reply, but the link is dead. Would you check it? I'd love to hear your stuff. There's only a handful of female players on this forum. Thanks :).

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
Great review Gary.

I would need two Boses or two Mauis. When buying sound equipment, I always choose the one with maximum power.  I may not use all that power, but I'll know it's there if I may need it. The places i play in are diverse.
Some are indoor lounges, while others are outdoors with huge crowds.

My current gear is a 1000 watt Yamaha powered mixer, 2 JBLs, a 2400 watt Behringer Subwoofer, a Stage Piano, a Tyros, and other paraphernalia.

The Subwoofer weighs 42 Kilos, followed by the Tyros which comes in at 15 kilos, the mixer at 12 kilos, the Piano at 32 kilos, the piano stand at 10 kilos, the speaker support stands at 12 kilos, the JBLs at 30 kilos, an extra Power Amp and mixer at 28 kilos, plus other paraphernalia.

All in all it comes to 185 kilos. The extra Power Amp and mixer remain in the car as backup in case of emergency.
This is the stuff I've been lugging around all summer, 28 gigs a month, including
setting up and breaking down.

The Boses look good and so do the Mauis.
I would, of course need a pair, and since I use 2 keyboards, which sound their best in Stereo,
I would need to look for something with more inputs.

I've noticed that each Maui and Bose has only 2 inputs for instruments. So I would need a mixer with at least 8 inputs.
I'm not a big fan of connecting a Microphone to a keyboard.

I tried it once in somebody's house in Abu Dhabi UAE, and that was the only time.
I connected my keyboard to the owner's HiFi system, for a bit of afternoon fun before lunch.

Anyway, I loved your review.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas.
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:46:06 AM by Pianoman »

Marcus

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 01:28:09 AM »
Great review Gary.

I would need two Boses or two Mauis. When buying sound equipment, I always choose the one with maximum power.  I may not use all that power, but I'll know it's there if I may need it. The places i play in are diverse.
Some are indoor lounges, while others are outdoors with huge crowds.

My current gear is a 1000 watt Yamaha powered mixer, 2 JBLs, a 2400 watt Behringer Subwoofer, a Stage Piano, a Tyros, and other paraphernalia.

The Subwoofer weighs 42 Kilos, followed by the Tyros which comes in at 15 kilos, the mixer at 12 kilos, the Piano at 32 kilos, the piano stand at 10 kilos, the speaker support stands at 12 kilos, the JBLs at 30 kilos, an extra Power Amp and mixer at 28 kilos, plus other paraphernalia.

All in all it comes to 185 kilos. The extra Power Amp and mixer remain in the car as backup in case of emergency.
This is the stuff I've been lugging around all summer, 28 gigs a month, including
setting up and breaking down.

The Boses look good and so do the Mauis.
I would, of course need a pair, and since I use 2 keyboards, which sound their best in Stereo,
I would need to look for something with more inputs.

I've noticed that each Maui and Bose has only 2 inputs for instruments. So I would need a mixer with at least 8 inputs.
I'm not a big fan of connecting a Microphone to a keyboard.

I tried it once in somebody's house in Abu Dhabi UAE, and that was the only time.
I connected my keyboard to the owner's HiFi system, for a bit of afternoon fun before lunch.

Anyway, I loved your review.

Pianoman.

The best power to weight ratio is using the powered versions of the JBL EON system or similar light weight powered speaker system. The matching JBL powered sub is way lighter than Behringer. Don't really need a power mixer either. Run your mic through the Genos and the Stage Piano output into the Genos AUX IN. It will make your setup easier, yet sound great with extra overhead when you need it. I use my JBL sub only for larger venues and only one sub is plenty for a solo performer, plus, low end frequencies are non-directional and are not required to be stereo.

The powered JBLs are so light, no problem keeping a spare in the car. If your power amp goes, none of your passive speakers will work, but using a powered speaker system, each speaker has it's own amp system. I am leery using these small light weight array systems like the Maui or the JBL version called the JBL One, but I guess good for small rooms or venue.

Here is the JBL version to the Maui. (JBL One)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EONOne

Even just one JBL EON515 powered speaker blows the specs away compared to the Maui or the JBL One, plus is lighter.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/jbl-eon515-450-watt-15-powered-pa-speaker

Regards, Marcus

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:04 AM »
Hi Marcus.

I would be more inclined towards the JBL EON 615 if I were to take that route.
What do you think of them?

Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:56:07 AM by Pianoman »

jgriffin

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 04:25:51 AM »
Can't wait to review these last few posts about speakers.   I'm getting another itch now (thanks Don).  Will do that asap.  Working on a new YT video right now (I Wander arranged by Randall Hartsell).  Hey Lee.....I guess I just don't know how to connect my profile info with the actual Performer Page.  Joe will have to help me with that issue.  In the meantime, you can go to the PSR Home page and click on the SONG tab and then Performers and my name is listed there.  That will take you to my section which Joe so courtesouly re-instated for me after a long absence. 

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:45 AM »
Try your PSR Performer's page link now, Janet.  I just repaired it for you.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline zionip

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 04:40:15 AM »
Hi Marcus.

I would be more inclined towards the JBL EON 615 if I were to take that route.
What do you think of them?

Pianoman.

Hi Pianoman,

It looks like the JBL EON 515 is already discontinued by JBL.  The EON 615 is the current model at 17.69 kg (39 lbs) each.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline StuartR

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 07:25:36 AM »
Hi Pianoman,

It looks like the JBL EON 515 is already discontinued by JBL.  The EON 615 is the current model at 17.69 kg (39 lbs) each.

Thanks,
Paul
I bought a pair of JBL EON 515XT, 625W RMS powered speakers just before they were discontinued. I had to get a distributor to find one of them at the JBL warehouse. They and their successor 600 series are great.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

jgriffin

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
THANKS ROGER!!

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »
Hi Pianoman,

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks Paul.

I'm just looking at all possibilities. From Bose to Maui and JBLs.
I've been using and still am using the same pair of JBL EON 1500 passive speakers since 1998. I must say that they haven't let me down even once.

Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:56:37 PM by Pianoman »