Author Topic: Why is the S650 totally absent from all the website collections?  (Read 539 times)

Offline ChrisH

Hi Guys

I'm puzzled that the Arranger keyboard S650 is not mentioned at all the collections on the website ..The S650 which came out in 2010 seems to be missing from any line up.  Anyone know why earlier keyboards have quite a few downloadable styles (even SFF1) but the 550 and 650 seem to be glaringly left out?? 

Thanks for any advice?

Offline overover

Re: Why is the S650 totally absent from all the website collections?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 11:00:55 AM »
Hi Chris,

The PSR-S650 (which was introduced in 2010) already uses the "SFF GE" (=SFF2) style file format (and can also load/play SFF1 styles of course). This means you can basically use all existing Yamaha styles with the S650.

Only styles from Genos models that use Revo drum kits cannot be used directly on the S650. But there are now many Genos styles here on the Psrtutorial site that have been converted by our members for use on earlier models.

Of course, newer/larger models have (much) more Voices and Effects than the S650, but the basic compatibility of the style files is still given. If the loaded style uses voices that are not present on the keyboard, the keyboard will first automatically try to use similar voices. If necessary, you can also change the voices of the style parts and/or OTS yourself at any time and then either save the style again or save the changes in registrations.

By the way, the Preset styles of many models can be downloaded for free on the Psrtutorial main site. Most of these styles can also be used with the S650.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 11:03:48 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 11:03:16 AM »
hello ChrisH,
It's hard to say why's that.. One of the reasons could be, that S750 was maybe more attractive at that time (price/features wise) and so maybe not that many decided for S650. I mean, the more keyboards of certain type are sold, the bigger is the chance that we get more feedback from owners. And as time goes by, the chances for that to happen, decrease.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks guys ..much appreciated.  I just found it weird that the S650 along with the S550 which are pretty comprehensively featured keyboards are never mentioned on the site yet keyboards that are 10 years older feature quite prominently.   I actually had an S550 and then upgraded to an SX900 but we then decided to live on a houseboat so the SX900 had to go (no space) and I just went for an E373 but was really disappointed with the features with just an intro/ending and only Aand B variation and no OTS so I found an S650 which has some almost SX series features (3 intros, 4 variations and 3 endings and OTS which I love .. and also over 700 music finder files too)   Sadly the 550 and 650 are in the same batch of models that Jorgen still needs to add to his music finder database software so I can't modify any fake book MFD files.  Again the replies are greatly appreciated !!

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 01:10:16 PM »
Hi Chris

I have compiled all the keyboards “Music Finder” lists into this spreadsheet. You can search by song name and see the recommended style to use.
Playlists for all keyboards up to Genos 1
https://app.box.com/s/rc4oo7visj2lkwx8irul8x4ev542d2in

Play list for Genos 2 styles
https://app.box.com/s/g6azwa2lgtrzau3bhbzgbzp1o4hds7sl

You may download 261 of  the new Genos 2 styles that I have converted to use in older keyboards here:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/collections/drake.html

Drake

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, SteveL, kaimei19, daikatana

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 01:44:59 PM »
Awesome Blake ..Many thanks!!

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 07:31:52 PM »
I can answer that: If I recall correctly (it's been a while since I've had my hands on either one), the s550 and the s650 are the only "pro" PSR's (not entry level like the PSRE series) that doesn't use the modern interface (modern as in the PSR9000/2000 through the Tyros 5 and PSRs975 used the same interface). The s550 and s650 us an OS very similar to the previous generation PSRe (like the PSRe463) which means: you can't copy and paste styles or just read files from the flash drive like you can with all the other modern Pro PSR's: you had to first load a style into the user style slot (like the way Korg PA is setup, but instead of hundreds of slots to load into, you only get 5, I think? It depended on the model as well, some using this interface only let you save 1 user style at a time, some let you save up to 5; I'm pretty sure the psrs550 had 3 user style slots)

The even crazier part, is that we take for granted we can copy internal style files onto a usb for the modern (i.e. since the early 2000's) arrangers; but by using the older OS on these 2 models, you can't. You *could* edit a preset style, and after modifying, save that to USB. But this is insanely slow compared to doing a single copy and paste command.

Having said all that, I hope somebody did go through the bother of copying, editing and saving the on board styles. And no, the PSR550 and s550 are very, very different.

And probably not surprisingly, those are also the only to PSR-S series I can think of that didn't have proper line outputs (just a combo headphone/out jack)

Mark

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 09:11:16 PM »
The PSR-S500 had the same limitations.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 11:06:41 PM »
You're right! I'd forgotten that even existed!

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 09:04:37 AM »
Thanks Guys once again

My main use of my S650 is using the music finder and sadly Jorgen who wrote the Music Finder Database software doesn't have the internal style numbers for the 550, 650 plus the A500 and A3000 keyboards so until he manages to sort those out one cannot successfully edit the Database. I believe it's a mammoth task to actually save the internal style numbers to an MDB file so he can add it to his software but he has been very helpful up to now!  Yeo the PSR500 is nothing like the S550 and S650  (PSR500 sell here for less than $100 whilst the 650 is a LOR more !  Hopefully one day I might be able to take the Fake Book MFD files on the site that have been converted for Tyros and S950 and convert those so they work on my S650.