Author Topic: Convert .RGT Files from earlier keyboards to work on T5  (Read 13477 times)

Offline adrianed

Convert .RGT Files from earlier keyboards to work on T5
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:14:38 AM »
Hi Folks, I could do with a bit of help to convert Registration files to suit a T5
I have say a list of .Reg files on my computer and don't know which keyboard some of them are meant for and others are meant for a Tyros 2
I want to use them on a T5
I have Murrays Registration Manager loaded on the Computer but cant make it work
I think it is just that I haven't got the idea how to do it even though I have the instructions
The instructions keep referring to registration Banks but of course I simply have them on my computer so they are banks as we know them on a keyboard they are just Registrations in a folder
Any words of wisdom would be welcome
The thing is I have many bought registrations that I bought for my T2 and now want to use them on my T5
I also have many registrations that have been given to us on this website and want to push them through a converter then I will have a better idea if they will work for me
Adrian
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:19:03 AM by adrianed »

Offline overover

Re: Convert Reg Files from earlier keyboards to work on T5
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 04:39:27 AM »
Hi Adrian,

the file extension .REG was used on PSR-9000 models and OLDER. Tyros1 and newer models use .RGT extension for Registration Bank files.

To my knowledge, the only way to make a .RGT file from a .REG file is to use "Tyros2 File Converter" software program. The resulting .RGT files should can be loaded directly into the T5, or you can convert it once more, by using Murray Best's Registration Manager.

You can also use "Tyros3 File Converter" in a second step  before (to convert Tyros2 format into Tyros3 format).

BUT you should NOT expect too much from converting these VERY OLD Registrations. It could be that the result is completely useless on the T5!

----> Download Tyros2 and Tyros 3 File Converters

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:48:19 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dick Rector

Re: Convert Reg Files from earlier keyboards to work on T5
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:06:02 AM »
Mmmmmm, as Chris mentioned, I don't think it will be as good as the original from the old keyboard. I have been trying to convert REG's to RGT's a few times but the result was not worth the effort and it still needed a lot of tweaking.
Some parts sound more or less okay but it is quicker to start from scratch is my opinion. Use the originals as a guideline to create new.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline adrianed

Re: Convert .RGT Files from earlier keyboards to work on T5
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »
Hi Chris and Dick,

Sorry I made a mistake in the Subject Heading

The files I want to convert are .RGT

Adrian  :-[ :-[

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:45:38 AM »
Ohhh that makes a big difference. In that case you can use Murray's RGT converter program. Works like a dream. Just put in the destination keyboard, load an RGT from an older model and hit convert. Done!
If you don't have it you'll find it on the homepage somewhere.

BTW the two Yamaha converters mentioned earlier don't convert REG's either. Long ago but I tried connected Midi In - Midi Out with two keyboards. Not very successful.

Have fun.
Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:52:54 AM »
Thanks Dick,
I must try it again, it didn't work I must have done something wrong

Adrian

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »
Adrian,

I think the best way if you have many of these rgt's from older keyboards would to use the batch convert option. For this type of conversion to work I always create a main RGT folder and under that a folder called source and one called target. When you have created those folders copy as many of your old registrations to the newly created source folder (that way when something should go wrong you still have your original registrations).

Now start Murray's Yamaha Registration Manager (YRM). In the main screen select your target keyboard (in your case either Tyros 5 (61 keys) or Tyros 5-75 depending on your model. The difference is the extended split point you can pick in the 76 key version. The rest is exactly the same. Once done click select to confirm your model.

Now click on the button that says Batch Banl Conversion and a new screen will pop-up. Click on select at the source folder and go to the new RGT folder and select the newly created folder called source (the folder where you copied the old rgt's to) Click ok and now click select at the target folder. Go to the new RGT folder and point to target and clock ok again.

Once back in the batch convert screen do not click convert just yet but enable the options Real Time Missing Item Substitution and enable the Problem Registrations to Directory:  option.
- Real Time Missing Item Substitution -> will give you a pop-up window every time the program encounters a missing voice, style pad effect etc. giving you the opportunity to pick a T5 alternative voice, style, pad et cetera ON THE FLY and remembering that choice for future missing items which can be VERY handy if you do lots of conversions since for example if you encounter a missing style called PianoSlowBallad and you choose a JazzPianoBalld to replace it, it will do that for all other styles with the same name.
- Problem Registration to Directory -> Will move all registrations with problems which YRM can't solve right away to a folder inside the target folder named PROBLEM. Very handy since now you don;t have to search to sometimes hundreds of registrations to find one that needs extra attention from you to manually solve problems.

Now click convert and the conversion process of the entire source folder will start. It will convert ALL registrations in the source folder to T5 registrations which can be found in teh target folder and moves ALL the "broken" registrations to the problem folder. After the conversions are done I advise you to SAVE the audit report to the main folder called RGT. It is a log file in plain text format that is easier to search with notepad for certain information then to scroll thru sometimes hundreds of lines of text in the YRM log screen

My advice to you is to test run it with let's say 25 registrations first before doing your major batch process. Also do not do ALL f them at once but keep it somewhat limited (100 or so?) if you use the real time substitutions. Although very handy it can take quite some time in the beginning when teh substitution table doesn't have much substitutions in it. By converting this way the table will fill very fast and after a few batches will not need much attention anymore.

Last tip: If you want to know which source keyboard the registration is from simply load it in YRM once loaded it will show you on which keyboard it was created in teh main screen directly above the spot where you had to select the target keyboard.

After your batch conversions are done you can either:
- load single files in YRM and fine tune them there by clicking on a bank to enter the detail screen or..
- load them on your Tyros and change them there afterwards re-saving them.

Option 1 is best if you want to change things like bank names and pedals ad such (in teh detail screen is also some sort of batch option that makes it possible to duplicate for example the splitpoint, chord fingering type and pedals to ALL other banks in that registration.
Option 2 is best if you want to change voices, styles, pads and or effects. YRM can do it as well but listening to the changes in realtime on your keyboard is much quicker.

Hope this was helpful to you, don;t hesitate to ask if you need further assistance :)

regards,
Peter

P.S. Sorry for the typo's in my reply, I wish Murray programmed a realtime typo substitution table for me as well ;)

The following users thanked this post: dragon, okeedokee, PSRPETE

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »
Woooowww, Peter! Thanks for this extensive explanation. Some parts are new for me but I don't have to convert much.

Bedankt en vriendelijke groeten.
Dick Rector
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

The following users thanked this post: XeeniX

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »
Hi D,

You're welcome or in Dutch, "graag gedaan" :)
If you ever need help just holler. Murray's program deserves to be used and pushed to it's limits. And I for one am trying to push it there all the time :D

best regards,
Peter

The following users thanked this post: Dick Rector, murrayb

Offline adrianed

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »
Thankyou Peter for that long step by step explanation of how to use the program

That is exactly what I needed, I have not used it before except to just try out a couple as a trial, when I tried it out it didn't work for some unknown reason. I suppose I pressed the wrong buttons

So from your rundown I can now give it a try again, I shall print it out and put it in My T5 how to do it folder

Thankyou

Adrian  8)

Offline marius9

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »
What would be the Path to the Tyros 5 Expansion Styles and Voices?

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Hi,

E-drive. Easiest way to make sure you are using the proper path structure for batch conversions btw is to create a registration on the T5 while using one of your expansion voices, pads andor style and save that registration to a usb drive. Take it to your pc and open the registration with YRM and check out for yourself.... I have all my expansion voices, pads and styles in custom folders. Connect the T5 with a USB cable to your pc and restart the T5 while holding the MF button and it wil start up in disk mode. After a few minutes your pc will recognize the hard drive of the T5 and you can then copy the files you want to move to a custom folder on your hard drive putting for example ALL expansion stuff in for example one voice folder where they will be listed alphabetically. I did that with all my preset voices, styles and pads and all my expansion voice, pad and style files. They are much easier to find that way but I guess that's a personal preference :) The only exception on that are of course the audio styles of the T5 since they can't be copied somewhere else than the internal user drive and space is somewhat limited there.

regards,
Peter
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:33:02 PM by XeeniX »

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 12:33:04 AM »
... The only exception on that are of course the audio styles of the T5 since they can't be copied somewhere else than the internal user drive and space is somewhat limited there.

Hi Peter,

I copied all internal Audio styles to one folder in User drive on my T5. They do not need so much space there, because only the MIDI data will be copied in that case. If you proceed as described, you will also have the Audio styles available in alphabetical order. :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline marius9

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 04:44:15 AM »
Great information. As I cannot do this at the moment, could you please look and let me know what would be the path to a style from your expansion pack (any of them) and a style from the expansion pack?

For example, for S670 the path for an expansion style is:
C:/STYLE/Expansion/"expansion pack name"/RockBallad.STY
For an expansion voice is:
C:/VOICE/Expansion/"expansion pack name"/Flute.S256.vce

Could you please see if you have the same on an expansion reg file? Or attach it here so I can look (but it has to use style and voice from expansion memory)?

Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:18:01 PM by marius9 »

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 05:25:23 AM »
What would be the Path to the Tyros 5 Expansion Styles and Voices?

Hi marius9,

on Tyros5 the folder "Expansion" is situated in the Root directory of the internal Hard Disk drive (HD1). Therefore, on Tyros5 the pathes to files in Expansion Packs always are as follows (for example):

E:/Expansion/expansion pack name/filename of a Style file.sty

E:/Expansion/expansion pack name/filename of a Voice Set file.vce

E:/Expansion/expansion pack name/filename of a Reg Bank file.rgt

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:32:33 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: marius9

Offline marius9

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Thank you very much overover! Very useful information!

Offline marius9

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
And for Genos would be the same path? Meaning: E:/Expansion/

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 11:53:18 PM »
And for Genos would be the same path? Meaning: E:/Expansion/

No, Marius, the internal User drive (on all Yamaha Keyboards) is internal drive letter C:/

Therefore, the correct path to Genos Expansion folder is:

C:/Expansion/

Examples of pathes (in Genos Registration bank files) to files of the Expansion Pack "Dreamscapes":

C:/Expansion/Dreamscapes/Ambisphere.sty
C:/Expansion/Dreamscapes/Ice Surface.S382.vce
C:/Expansion/Dreamscapes/Ambisphere.S332.pad

In the subfolders of Expansion folder are ALL file types of a certain Pack:

P.S.
Normally, the different file types in User drive are in separate system folders (that are NOT displayed directly on Genos):

MULTI PAD
PLAYLIST
REGIST
SONG
STYLE
SYSTEM
TEXT
VOICE

But in Expansion folder, as described above, there are ALL file types "in common".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:41:00 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: marius9

Offline marius9

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 07:14:07 PM »
Hello,

Thank you Chris. Thank you indeed!

Best regards,
Marius