Author Topic: Genos, avoiding fingerprints on the screen  (Read 12111 times)

Offline Oxford1035

Genos, avoiding fingerprints on the screen
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:05:31 AM »
Just taken delivery of my Genos a couple of days ago  :D l saw it mentioned elsewhere about fingerprints all over the touchscreen being annoying. l bought a screen protector for a tablet and cut it to size. It's basically just a thin film, but it doesn't affect the touchscreen at all, and no fingerprints are visible  8-)

Offline Will49

Re: Genos, avoiding fingerprints on the screen
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:47:38 AM »
It's basically just a thin film, but it doesn't affect the touchscreen at all, and no fingerprints are visible

But doesn't the protective film itself get a bit messy after a while? I've always had screen protectors for my smartphones, but they all end up needing a good wipe from time to time. Brilliant idea though (and something I would certainly be doing if I had a Genos), as it will keep the screen always like new and free from any tiny accidental scratches (from fingernails?)... better still if it means fingerprints somehow aren't going be so obvious on the film as they are on the screen itself. 😊
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:55:36 AM by Will49 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
When you have the keyboard on and are using it you don't see the finger prints. When switched of just polish with a micro fibre cloth and all is well. I had such a job putting a protector on my I pad without getting those little annoying bubbles in it that I don't want that to happen on my Genos.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
I had such a job putting a protector on my I pad without getting those little annoying bubbles

You can put a glass screen protector on your iPad.  That gets rid of the bubbles issue.  I placed one on my iPad, it is easier and more durable.   

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:13:49 PM »
We sell the adhesive protector also for Genos, we have sold al lot  for PA4x montage kronos ...
You find them on eBay...

Greetings from Germany
Frank

See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1kqRu-xCQA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:17:34 PM by frankmusik »
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »
Being made of glass, unless you scuff it with your diamond ring, isn't that already the best transparent material to keep dry-clean with a micro fibre cloth? In other words leave it as is, with the occasional wipe. Finger prints are not going to degrade it-  unless you dip fingers in hydrofluoric acid first. ::)  :) :)

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:51:54 PM by jwyvern »

Offline zionip

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »
I have been using a rubber tipped stylus on the touch screen of Genos, and periodically wipe the touch screen with a micro fiber cloth.  I feel there is no need for a screen protector for the touch screen of Genos for myself.

Paul

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:17:20 PM »
We sell the adhesive protector also for Genos, we have sold al lot  for PA4x montage kronos ...
You find them on eBay...

Greetings from Germany
Frank

See: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1kqRu-xCQA

Frank
this is great. Perfect.  I watched the video/link and went to the musik-city.de web site but could not understand the language.

So, how do we order in the USA and how much including shipping  . . .  ?  I am in San Diego, California, zip 92101

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 02:10:35 AM »
l have no air bubbles, it's just a case of applying the film slowly laying it on the screen. No messy marks showing and no need to use a micro fibre cloth every time l finish playing.

For anyone interested this is the link for the ones l got. 2 protectors for £2.30 including p&p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CLEAR-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-FOR-9-ANDROID-4-0-TABLET-PC-ALL-WINNER-A13/181102024980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:07 AM »
I am a bit confused by this subject.

In fact, I am actually at a loss for words. Wouldn't a screen protector eventually also have fingerprint smudges all over it?

And wouldn't it also impact visibility, maybe a teeny weeny bit?

Isn't the Genos screen made of a kind of glass that is tough enough to withstand scratches,
Unless one, in a fit of rage, attacks it with a carpet knife?

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:22:14 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Will49

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 04:16:41 AM »
Wouldn't a screen protector eventually also have fingerprint smudges all over it?
Hi Pianoman,

Great idea as for protecting the screen from any accidental scratches perhaps,  but my thoughts concerning fingerprints were exactly the same as yours (second post on this topic):
But doesn't the protective film itself get a bit messy after a while? I've always had screen protectors for my smartphones, but they all end up needing a good wipe from time to time.

Kind regards,
Will

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 06:54:21 AM »
@al
EBay should translate next days.
Herr the german
https://m.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2056088.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgenos+s.TRS0&_nkw=genos+schutz
@pianoman
There will be scratches on the display .... of you have them on the Film ist is cheaper to put a new Film than the yamaha part....
We learned from Korg customers ....

Greetings frank
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:56:23 AM by frankmusik »
Genos and Tyros /PSR Support in Germany - Europe with more than
280 keyboardscouts helping in D-AT-CH-NL at your home!
Monday 18:30 (6:30 pm german time) Live tips on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBxOTmwqvDGu5QavFWeaQfQ

Offline Ingar

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 08:49:43 AM »
I am a bit confused by this subject.

In fact, I am actually at a loss for words. Wouldn't a screen protector eventually also have fingerprint smudges all over it?

And wouldn't it also impact visibility, maybe a teeny weeny bit?

Isn't the Genos screen made of a kind of glass that is tough enough to withstand scratches,
Unless one, in a fit of rage, attacks it with a carpet knife?

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
Obviously, the screen protector becomes stained in the same way as the main screen. The point of a screen protector is to protect the screen to be worn and not stained.

Regards Ingar

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Hello Ingar.

I get your point, but it still doesn't answer my question.
That is, isn't the screen glass tough enough to withstand scratches?
Most mobile phones and tablets nowadays use a kind of glass called "Gorilla Glass" that is supposed to be very resistant to scratches.
Wouldn't Yamaha also use this kind of glass for the Genos that is strong enough to withstand wear and tear, knowing that Genos owners will be using their keyboards for at least the next 2 to 4 years?

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Even if the protective film gets icky after a year or so, can't you peel it and apply a new one?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
It suddenly occurred to me that I may have read a similar thread a while back.
Not too similar in the sense of discussing fingerprints, but still similar.
Anyway, I managed to find it.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41272.0.html

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:53:49 PM by Pianoman »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 08:55:12 PM »
Hello Ingar.

I get your point, but it still doesn't answer my question.
That is, isn't the screen glass tough enough to withstand scratches?
Most mobile phones and tablets nowadays use a kind of glass called "Gorilla Glass" that is supposed to be very resistant to scratches.
Wouldn't Yamaha also use this kind of glass for the Genos that is strong enough to withstand wear and tear, knowing that Genos owners will be using their keyboards for at least the next 2 to 4 years?

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

Genos screen is not made by glass. Only capacitive screens are made by glass.
Genos screen is Resistive Touch Screen. Read HERE about resistive touch screens. It has been a good idea making capacitive, but resistive is a little bit cheaper than capacitive :D

BTW, I didn't see till now glass-made resistive screens! Maybe exists, but I've didn't see! (By definition, those two surfaces must press one each other, than it seems to be a bit flexible. Glass is rigid, not flexible! )

Regards!

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
Hello Valimaties.

I know the difference between Capacitative and Resistive touch screens.

Please read below about Resistive versus Capacitative touchscreens.

https://techexplainer.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/resistive-vs-capacitive-touchscreen/

But maybe I should rephrase my questions.

Would Yamaha deliberately make a screen that they know would deteriorate and wear out before or within the full term of the instrument,
and risk facing the consequent loss of faith among it's faithful consumers as well as a loss of prestige?

Would they manufacture an instrument where the user, in order to keep the said instrument in a pristine condition,
would have no other recourse than to add a cheap, badly trimmed, plastic film or glass on a beautiful instrument?

And would they do this, knowing it would subject the user to the dismay and frustration of installing a protector film, only to have to rip it off and redo the whole procedure again, every few months,
after the previous film has deteriorated.?

Wouldn't that plastic or glass appendage somehow affect the touch response of the instrument, even if only for a millisecond?

I am intrigued as to what the bigger majority of Genos owners might think about this topic.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:29:50 AM by Pianoman »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 01:32:03 AM »
Abby, the protective screens are micro thin and usually have no effect whatsoever on the response of a touch screen. However, they do provide quite a bit of protection by eliminating the possibility of scratches on the surface, which can have a detrimental effect on the touch screen by decrease it's touch response.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »
Hi Gary.

I don't know man.
There have been topics about everything between here and the moon. Some educative, some self evident and some just stating the obvious.
Everything else except the subject of music.

There was a nice composition by a guy called Ryszard yesterday on the Performer's section that was such a refreshing change.

It would be nice to hear, now and then, somebody say, "I took style X, added voices Y and Z for the right hand,
and used it to play song G. And the result was good. And you can also do this with style K, and that with style Q" etc.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:26:36 AM by Pianoman »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 04:33:48 AM »
Being quite new to the site, l have to say l'm surprised by some of the negativity towards my idea. l have read elsewhere that some people find a load of fingerprints annoying when the keyboard is switched off. After merely updating the firmware and setting up a couple of other things the screen on mine had loads of unsightly marks. So l fitted a screen protector to save having to get a cloth out and clean the screen every time l play it. And it does also protect the screen from scratches.

With the protector fitted, the screen has more of a satin look and does not show up any marks or prints with the keyboard switched off. When the keyboard is switched on, the screen does not look any different compared to without the protector.

The fact that there is a company selling screen protectors for the Genos,would suggest there is some kind of demand. l've had a look at them, and they cost over £10 including p&p. l bought 2 of them for £2.30, so if the one fitted at the moment does ever get a bit worn, l have a spare to fit.

And with respect, the notion that Yamaha would never make anything that might wear etc is perhaps a bit short sighted. It's like saying no company would ever make a keyboard where half a dozen buttons and switches would break after a number of years ;)

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
Oxford1035 - negativity? I would say "healthy debate based on experience from other similar control surfaces.":)

My question is, can every touch screen function be duplicated by buttons on the Genos? (I'll be able to answer that when Yamaha FINALLY decides to include Canada on their list of customers.)

If so, the subject is somewhat moot. You never need to touch the screen and can continue operating it as you would the T5. If not, then I'm sure Yamaha has built the screen like a tank, knowing full well they can't have response times deteriorate over a few years. It would be corporate suicide.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:32:09 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
Oxford1035,

Everything wears out. Even we humans wear out and spend our last years in peace, or pain, and then die.
So, if that can happen to humans, it can also happen to the machines they create.

I have broken some buttons and switches this year, after hammering my keyboard for over 8 years, playing a minimum of 190 live gigs per year, sometimes under stressful conditions.

The broken buttons were the result of me transferring the same force I had just used on my Piano, onto the T3s buttons.

So I blame myself, for using excessive force, and maybe the old age (over 8 years) of my keyboard for the broken buttons. Not Yamaha.

I am now 62 years old, and have used Yamaha products since I was 17 years old.

I have never had cause to complain about the build quality of their instruments.
I even had a Yamaha motorbike when I turned 18, that I crashed into a truck.

I blamed my wild lifestyle for that. Not Yamaha.

Sure, touchscreens will wear out, but not tomorrow or next year.
It might even take up to 4 or 5 years before they give up the ghost.

Still, I agree with Lee Batchelor, that what we are having here is just a healthy debate on Pros and Cons.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:51:27 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
Pianoman,

That was my point, that everything wears out. Whether it's down to us being heavy handed or not everything has a certain lifespan. And if it is down to being a bit heavy handed, l think l'd rather have a screen protector that may afford a bit of protection to the screen and save it from being scratched etc.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Pianoman,

That was my point, that everything wears out. Whether it's down to us being heavy handed or not everything has a certain lifespan. And if it is down to being a bit heavy handed, l think l'd rather have a screen protector that may afford a bit of protection to the screen and save it from being scratched etc.

Then I have to agree with you there.
What anybody chooses to do with his/her property is their business, and their decision alone.

There may be some advice on the wisdom of a certain decision, or lack thereof, but in the end, it is that person's right to decide what is best for him/her.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.

PS: If these screen protectors are 9" and the Genos screen is the same size, do you still need to cut them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CLEAR-SCREEN-PROTECTOR-FOR-9-ANDROID-4-0-TABLET-PC-ALL-WINNER-A13/181102024980?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 05:37:22 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 03:37:55 AM »

PS: If these screen protectors are 9" and the Genos screen is the same size, do you still need to cut them?

Hi Pianoman,

These protectors were made for a 9" tablet which is a bit bigger than the Genos screen. They have rounded edges, but l used a sharp craft knife and ruler to trim them to the correct size and they fit perfect.

Kind regards,

Russ