Author Topic: Did I get the bad one?  (Read 6723 times)

opticat

Did I get the bad one?
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:31:58 AM »
Up to this evening, everything was going fine with the Genos. I updated the firmware when I got it. The majority of my T5 registrations work well, as I loaded a backup of the T5 onto the stick that fits in the bottom of the Genos. Starting this evening, pressing the power button causes the white gateway buttons to light, then go out and it takes awhile for the "GENOS" to appear in the touch screen window. It actually froze up once. Then the gateway buttons light back up. The volume has decreased now, requiring turning the volume knob to higher, and sometimes when playing a song from a registration, every key that I touch stays on-- even if I press a palm full of keys. The only way to stop it is to power off.

I'm wondering if I should do the Factory Reset procedure, and if it can be done without losing data from my onboard files in the lower memory slot. Also, is anyone saving registrations in "USER" rather than on the detachable memory stick?

I will try a few things, and if it straightens out I will post here.

Offline EileenL

Re: Did I get the bad one?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
I had the same thing happen that the keys stayed on. Found it was a corrupt registration bank that had a voice in that had become corrupt. Deleted that Reg and all has been OK ever since.

Marcus

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »
I had the same thing happen that the keys stayed on. Found it was a corrupt registration bank that had a voice in that had become corrupt. Deleted that Reg and all has been OK ever since.
I hope this issue gets clarified. I will rely on my future Genos for live performances. Never heard of such a thing or experienced anything remotely close to a registration file becoming corrupted and the arranger freezes up.

I hope the issue is referring to a registration bank being transferred from another arranger model, like the Tyros. All my registration banks from my Tyros 5 are going to be transferred to my Genos and reworked to suit. I can understand that there might be a slight possibility that a conflict might occur or a compatibility issue could happen when the Genos reads the registration, but for keys and notes freezing is completely unacceptable.

So is the issue, incompatibility with something within the Tyros registration or the actual registration bank got corrupt in the transfer process. If an incompatibility issue, Yamaha needs to correct and update the Genos firmware, where instead of just freezing on the user, at least a warning or pop up window notifies the user of the problem (warning that a certain voice doesn't exist) instead of just freezing.

Sometimes when I transfer folders and files from a USB stick to my Tyros, a warning pop up tell me if perhaps you might have too many files within certain folders to allow the transfer as a protection. This same protection must exist for these so- called registration transfer problems. An arranger should not just freeze up.

It would be inconceivable to me that if the registration was created on the Genos first, it could in anyway possibly corrupt. Since this occurred on both your Genoses, Yamaha needs to look into this and correct it. Obviously Yamaha knows most Genos users are going to transfer previously created registrations and files.

If anyone still saved a copy the actual corrupt registration bank file, please contact Yamaha and sent it to them for examination and hopefully a correction in an updated firmware updated. Thanks for informing us of this issue.

Regards, Marcus
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:14:48 PM by Marcus »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:10:18 PM »
What it was is that I had used a user voice from my tyros and the effects did not carry across Somehow voice set was showing release full on so the notes were sustaining. As I am not going to use that voice any more I just replaced it with another voice in my registration. No big deal.
   The way people are putting everything down to bugs I think the poor Genos should have a can of bug spray supplied with it. Quite a few things I am sure are just user error as we all get used to the new functions.
  Like all new keyboards time is needed to get used to them.

Marcus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
What it was is that I had used a user voice from my tyros and the effects did not carry across Somehow voice set was showing release full on so the notes were sustaining. As I am not going to use that voice any more I just replaced it with another voice in my registration. No big deal.
   The way people are putting everything down to bugs I think the poor Genos should have a can of bug spray supplied with it. Quite a few things I am sure are just user error as we all get used to the new functions.
  Like all new keyboards time is needed to get used to them.

Okay, that makes more sense to me. The Genos was operating normally, the held notes was merely the sustain command from a suspect user voice. So not an issue with Genos at all then. There was no corruption or freezing of notes going on.

I will go over all my Tyros 5 registrations and custom voices very carefully when I transfer them to my Genos. Any issues, all just correct and re-save the registration banks as I go on. Thanks for the clarification.

Marcus

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
Yes Marcus,
  We all know this can happen from time to time especially if we have had theses things for a long time.

opticat

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:41:18 PM »
I know it is not the Genos (or the Tyros back in those days), but it is having an understanding of an operating system that is like a computer, but really is not. I believe that understanding the file path is of great importance— selcet the category first (style, voice, registration, etc.), then the particular parameter or item you are seeking. My problems are created from me!

Marcus

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 04:53:58 PM »
I know it is not the Genos (or the Tyros back in those days), but it is having an understanding of an operating system that is like a computer, but really is not. I believe that understanding the file path is of great importance— selcet the category first (style, voice, registration, etc.), then the particular parameter or item you are seeking. My problems are created from me!

Please don't hesitate posting any questions or concerns. That is one of main reasons for this great forum. Even Yamaha can learn from "all" concerns discussed here, as they might monitor and help improve the product or make the operating system more user friendly in future models or firmware updates.

It always took me a little time to learn the operating system from each upgraded arranger and time to re-work my previous work. Considerable changes with the Genos upgrading to the touch screen. For me, Yamaha exceeded all my expectations with the new Genos and I can't wait to get my hands and my fingers on the touch screen and ultimately the keys.

Marcus