Author Topic: MIDI to Style  (Read 16682 times)

Offline Oldden

MIDI to Style
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone think that there will be a midi to style covertion program one day for the Genos. I know that there was one called midi2style but I think that was only for psr keyboards. Korg seem to have one built into some of there keyboards, but a stand alone one would be nice. Not too sure that Yamaha would ever put on in one of their keyboards as it might lose them sales.

Offline Jørgen

Re: MIDI to Style
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:11:10 PM »
Hi

From midi2style web site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/midi2style/index.htm -> Compatibility Issues

Compatible with:
Genos
Tyros: 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
PSR: S970 - S950 - S910 - S900 - S770 - S750 - S710 - S700 - S670 - S650 - S550 - S500
PSR: 9000 Pro - 9000 - 8000 - 3000 - 2100 - 2000 - 1500 - 1100 - 1000 - 740 - 640 - 550 - E433 - E423 - E413 - K1 - A3000 - A2000 - OR700
CVP: 709 - 705 - 701 - 609 - 605 - 601 - 509 - 505 - 503 - 501 - 409 - 407 - 405 - 403 - 401 - 309 - 307 - 305 - 303 - 301
DGX: 650 - 640 - 630 - 620 - 530 - 520 - 505 - 500 - 305 - 300
YPG: 635 - 625 - 535 - 525

Regards
Jørgen  ;)
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: Jacob, Oldden

DMT Dave

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:59:21 AM »
Good day, how do i setup Midi2Style and does it work better than Style works universal ?

What is the purchase price for Midi2 Style ?

Do i need any additional software

Also, would it be possible for a step by step guidance to install ?

Kind Regards

Dave

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 07:17:59 AM »
Good day, how do i setup Midi2Style and does it work better than Style works universal ?

What is the purchase price for Midi2 Style ?

Do i need any additional software

Also, would it be possible for a step by step guidance to install ?

Kind Regards

Dave

Midi2style is freeware.  Just visit Jørgen's website as posted above.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

DMT Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 07:31:04 AM »
Hi Roger, thank you, does this work better than style works ?

Much appreciated

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:04:32 AM »
Hi Roger, thank you, does this work better than style works ?

Much appreciated

Why don’t you try it and see? It’s free.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Gleston

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 05:15:21 PM »
Just a user opinion:  the software is good , I use it a lot.  But, as always, there´s a learning curve.

DMT Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 05:34:03 PM »
Thank you guy's, do i need to download java i think i have seen in posts on here ?

I have Genos and Korg PA4x, the Kork will convert midi to Korg Styles but Genos requires external program

Is it a matter of downloading and running the setup etc.... ?

If i get stuck on anything, would you great guy's help on setup ?

Kindest Dave

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 06:21:02 PM »
Thank you guy's, do i need to download java i think i have seen in posts on here ? ...

Hi Dave,

yes, JRE (Java Runtime Environment) ver. 8 is required to run the "midi2style" program.

You can download the latest JRE version here:
>>> https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jre8-downloads.html

Edit:
Unfortunately, you currently have to register / log in on the Oracle site in order to download "JRE". Please use the following link instead to download "JRE" without logging in:
>>> https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

By the way: If "midi2style" does not start even after installing the current JRE version, the program probably cannot find the "javaw.exe" file. If you get this error message, you have to "show" this file to the program. In Windows 10 (64-bit) it is located in the folder "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.x_xxx\bin\

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:08:15 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

DMT Dave

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 07:12:46 PM »
Hi Chris, thank you very much for this, I am going to try this now :)

DMT Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 07:19:23 PM »
Do i have to create Oracle Login ? that has what has popped up, i have used the 2nd link from the bottom ?

jre-8u291-windows-x64.exe

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 07:25:22 PM »
Do i have to create Oracle Login ? that has what has popped up, i have used the 2nd link from the bottom ?

jre-8u291-windows-x64.exe

No, you don't have to register/login on the Oracle site. If you get such a pop-up just close or ignore it. :)

P.S.
Java JRE is for free private (non-commercial) use. Commerial users have to buy a license.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

DMT Dave

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 07:28:00 PM »
Ah ok. thanks Chris sorry for being naive, the window that pops up asks me to tick the oracle read terms box before the download link becomes available!!!!! 

DMT Dave

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »
Hi Chris, i have managed to download and install from a different location :), will let you know how i get on thank you Dave

DMT Dave

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 07:45:18 PM »
Hi Chris, yippe , im in there

Thank you indeed :)

DMT Dave

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 07:50:11 PM »
I have imported a Midi File and gone to export as Yamaha sty file, it is coming up with:

Error No Main A part was selected for conversion

Any chance of you kind helpful guy's what the procedure is to do that please ? i can't even see a help file....

Much appreciated

Dave

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 08:03:04 PM »
Ah ok. thanks Chris sorry for being naive, the window that pops up asks me to tick the oracle read terms box before the download link becomes available!!!!!
Hi Chris, i have managed to download and install from a different location :), will let you know how i get on thank you Dave

Thanks for your hints regarding this download problem, Dave! Obviously you have to log in "since recently" on the Oracle site to download "JRE". On the following site you can still download "JRE" without logging in: :)
>>> https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

(I also updated the link in my first post.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 08:10:16 PM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
I have imported a Midi File and gone to export as Yamaha sty file, it is coming up with:

Error No Main A part was selected for conversion

Any chance of you kind helpful guy's what the procedure is to do that please ? i can't even see a help file....

Much appreciated ...

Hi Dave,

On the product page of "midi2style" (use the link in Jørgen's post "Reply #1") you can find detailed information about the program. Please click there also on the links "Program Help", "Conversion Demos" and "Musical Problems".

I think that Jørgen explained everything there wonderfully, but of course you should also deal with the Yamaha Style File Format (SFF1 / SFF2) or the programming of Yamaha Styles. Without any background knowledge, I think it's pretty difficult to create usable styles.

Here are some important links about style programming:
>>> http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/stylefiles.htm
>>> https://heikoplate.de/structure-of-style-files.html
>>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_creation_course.pdf
>>> http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/keyboard_and_style.pdf

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

DMT Dave

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2021, 08:30:59 AM »
WOW thank you Chris, i will take a look at some of what you have advised and have practice on using the program, thank you again for your kind help

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »
What i usually do is to make a midi file in Cubase OR edit a midi file in the DAW and place the elements in a new template for creating my styles. Finally i convert it to .sty in StyleMagicYA. That's very easy but if you want to get better results then it's time-consuming.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

Online Dave Nuttall

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 05:15:52 PM »
What i usually do is to make a midi file in Cubase OR edit a midi file in the DAW and place the elements in a new template for creating my styles. Finally i convert it to .sty in StyleMagicYA. That's very easy but if you want to get better results then it's time-consuming.

It would be very interesting if you could "document" the steps you take to create a style from MIDI up to the point of converting it in StyleMagic.

Several people (over time) have posted videos, but videos alone are extremely hard to follow.   Instructions on paper are always better in my opinion.

Thanks in advance if you decide to share your knowledge/ideas.

Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator, Drsun19

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »
It would be very interesting if you could "document" the steps you take to create a style from MIDI up to the point of converting it in StyleMagic.

Several people (over time) have posted videos, but videos alone are extremely hard to follow.   Instructions on paper are always better in my opinion.

Thanks in advance if you decide to share your knowledge/ideas.

Dave

I'll try to make a manual of how to do it this way.

Most of midi files need to be tweaked to sound great in Genos, most of the midi files i work with were recorded more than a decade ago and usually were recorded with a high level of quantization and velocities of 127 and so on...so in the DAW i need to modifiy most of these values including effects or add new ones.

You can create your own styles with Revo!drums as well...I've been trying to create my rex2 styles but i haven't found how to do that and instead, i have sampled sf2 files and adapt my styles by using these drumkits (just as an example).

It's a full science!!
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

DMT Dave

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
Hi Guy's thank you all fro your input, im still working out how to save a midi as style file.

Anyone had issues trying to recieve Style works universal from EMC Software ?, i bought it on Friday last week and sent numerous emails to ask for download link and Pins to setup and can't get a response!

Anyone had a similar issue ?

Offline pjd

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2021, 10:47:04 PM »
Hi --

Here are a few MIDI to style conversion articles:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mox-perf-to-psr-style-part-1/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mox-perf-to-psr-style-part-2/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mox-perf-to-psr-style-part-3/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/arpeggio-to-style-conversion/
http://sandsoftwaresound.net/mega-voice-in-psrtyros-styles/

Conversion starts with a Standard MIDI File (SMF) created on a MOX/MODX synthesizer. Everything after initial creation of the SMF should apply to any old MIDI file.

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline wersianer

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:37 AM »
Hi Guy's thank you all fro your input, im still working out how to save a midi as style file.

Anyone had issues trying to recieve Style works universal from EMC Software ?, i bought it on Friday last week and sent numerous emails to ask for download link and Pins to setup and can't get a response!

Unfortunately, there is a sad answer to this question:
Mr. Grosser died on March 9 of or with Corona.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »
Hi
You purchased EMC Styleworks .WHAAAT!!!!
Emc Styleworks is so buggy now and i cannot get it running on Windows 10 and Genos
I was told by Klaus that i have to download win amp and that was it for me. Winamp is from the ZX Spectrum days!! Big Lol!! :) :P ::)
I paid top money for that program and it is now utterly useless
You should not have to use winamp with a expensive program.
To me it is lazy programming.
I have looked for updates and nothing ever gets better, only worse.
Always get an exception. I get an exception with Midi to Style and that freezes on me. My i7 computer is fast and reliable and runs perfectly with the top programs.
I still do not know why i get an exception and i now given up on them. No other programs are like these two. Midisoft Yamaha runs perfectly , but harder to use to make a style.
It is great for adjusting styles .
You really should ask for your money back, because you will find out that this program which was once good is now totally rubbish.
I run Cubase and have Arturia synths, Sampletank etc and no problems. All very fast.
EMC Styleworks is only midi and uses the keyboard for sounds and they cannot get it right.
Midisoft software is the only program that gets anywhere near making a style properly, but it is a little long winded.
I wished that someone could make a program like Emc Styleworks for Genos the way it used to be as it was the easiest route to make a great style.
The layout of the program is great, but unfortunately the programmer is a businessman more interested in his career job and no time for the program.
This also is why it is so slow getting answers.

Ps From what i read above if Mr Grosser is Klaus I would send my condolences to all family if that statement is right.
This is a bit of a shock and i did not know of this.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:33:13 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

DMT Dave

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »
Hi John, thank you for your reply and the post about Mr Grosser is Klaus Grosser, condolences go out from me also!!

I have reported on PayPal so i may need to leave it for a week or 2 and follow up again

In the meantime, i may try some of your suggestions all much appreicated

Kind Regards

Dave

Offline wersianer

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 11:21:56 AM »
There is no successor for Klaus Grosser. This means that there will be no more new versions of Styleworks XT in the conversion scene ... and inquiries will go unanswered. He'd been working on something revolutionary ... something like audio drums for everyone.
But that's it then ... I'm very sorry and the individual fates are terrible ... especially for the relatives.
Klaus Grosser was a nice person and a brilliant guy.
I think I'll buy StyleMagic.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:44:35 AM by wersianer »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 03:59:27 PM »
... Anyone had issues trying to recieve Style works universal from EMC Software ?, i bought it on Friday last week and sent numerous emails to ask for download link and Pins to setup and can't get a response!

Please let us know if you do get a response. I have an issue I would like to get resolved if there is someone who resides over his software / estate.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
Follow up...

FYI... I sent a message through EMC website and via Klaus' EMC AOL account.  If I get a response from someone I will post it here.

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 08:24:09 PM »
Hi Joe

If someone takes this program on and develop it properly it would blow away the competition.
I could not understand when i had exceptions that it was suggested that i use winamp.
With a program £200 i was not happy at that and it did not work properly when i tried it.
Midisoft is a great program but stylemaking isa little long winded and difficult deciding where everything lands up at CM7.
When EMC Styleworks was working great with the Tyros you just had to choose what you want and and add the bar count to each section.
Then just shift the song until correct. it took about 30 minutes to get somthing decent from a midi file.
I still cannot fathom out why i got that exception box keep popping up every time i chose a midi file. ( error:  INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263() when importing a midi file into Yamaha emc styleworks)
The Java  Midi-to-Style. I got a Null pointer exception . I could never solve that. I am really not a big fan of Java programs. I am not having a go at program as it does work for others. Computers seem to like what they want and have a mind of their own. I run quite a few programs and vst with no problems at all.
It does not happen with Midisoft, so i stuck with that for now, but i mainly use it to change styles, effects and volumes or change the order of things.
I now tend to buy Style files from  https://www.d-o-o.de/
I then change them to my liking. This does save a lot of bother.

I wonder how Yamaha makes styles ?? I would like to see their programs.

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:43:12 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 08:54:25 PM »
Hi John, thank you for your reply and the post about Mr Grosser is Klaus Grosser, condolences go out from me also!!

I have reported on PayPal so i may need to leave it for a week or 2 and follow up again

In the meantime, i may try some of your suggestions all much appreicated

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave
I know it is tragic to hear that Klaus is no longer here, but they do have a so called tech department.
To get the Universal, you have paid out a considerable sum of money and i hope that you are covered by paying with a credit card.
EMC Styleworks is a business after all and you should be entitled to a refund if not happy. Especially if there is no more backing for the program.
Normally with goods there is a 14 day cooling period.
I do not know whether they will disolve the business , but i would not hang around too long as they may have no more further obligation.
My program was just the XT Yamaha one and that was £200. After the Tyros i did not have much luck with this program, so i gave up as a lesson to learn.

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:56:00 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 10:48:49 PM »
John,

you wrote: If someone takes this program on and develop it properly it would blow away the competition

I can say the same thing about Style Factory... it is a fantastic way to create new styles from the "Phrase Library" built into the program. (several thousand phrases) You can also extract phrases from any style (using XG or GM2 Voices... a bug) you load into the program and add new phrases (and new categories of phrases) to the Phrase Library.

I bought a copy of Style Factory last year.  It has several bugs in it (the most serious is it does not save the CASM settings correctly... I have to run the style through StyleMagic to fix the CASM settings) and I had to rewrite the manual to make sense out of the program. I also have to do several "work-arounds" to use it effectively.  The program does not support the PSR S970 but I found a way to make it work with the S970 instrument definition file (tricked the program by replacing T3 file with the S970 file) and also got it working with my several expansion pack Voices. 

Klaus was not interested in fixing the bugs.  It's too bad.  My personal issue is that if my computer quits working I will have to reinstall the program from scratch which requires a 2 PIN copy protection scheme in which Klaus provided the PIN 2 after registering the program on line so the program would boot. I will try cloning my MIDI machine HD and hopefully the program will run on the clone drive.

I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent today to EMC.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:10:06 PM by Joe H »

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2021, 03:54:08 AM »
There will not be any response from EMC as Klaus was EMC, no one else!
I sent him numerous emails over the last 2 months, and obviously, there was NO response, sad!
I don't foresee any support for Style works.

:(

Uday

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

DMT Dave

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2021, 01:44:44 PM »
Hi Joe H yes please if you have Klaus AOL Email would be fab :)

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2021, 04:52:15 PM »
 Hi
For learning to convert midi to style using my midi2style software please read http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/midi2style/howto.htm
The examples will teach you the bacis in the process.
Regards
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline Joe H

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2021, 10:27:09 PM »
Hi Joe H yes please if you have Klaus AOL Email would be fab :)

I just checked, it's the same as his website:  emcsoftware@aol.com

I've asked someone located in Germany if they could try to establish a contact with a Klaus associate or family member.  I'm waiting to hear back. It's a long shot though. I'm not hopeful.

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:35:25 PM by Joe H »

DMT Dave

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2021, 11:05:01 PM »
Hi Joe, thank you, will keep a watch on your posts

Much appreciated

DMT Dave

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Hello Jorgen, thank you for sending the help on Midi2Style, i think on my part a lack of understanding the method

I am stuck on what values and how to add the values as attached

In your demo for Under The Boardwalk, you have values in Into A,B,C,D Main A, B,C and D of 1/1-1/2-1/4 Mains > A 26/4 >> B 19/4 >> C 36/4 >> D 48/4

What are the first part of these values ? i guess it the bar number ? and how do i add them from Part Selector as you can see i can only get one value ?

Thank you and sorry for being naive

[attachment deleted by admin]

DMT Dave

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Hi Jorgen, this is the part i am struggling how to add voice settings ??

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »
John,

you wrote: If someone takes this program on and develop it properly it would blow away the competition

I can say the same thing about Style Factory... it is a fantastic way to create new styles from the "Phrase Library" built into the program. (several thousand phrases) You can also extract phrases from any style (using XG or GM2 Voices... a bug) you load into the program and add new phrases (and new categories of phrases) to the Phrase Library.

I bought a copy of Style Factory last year.  It has several bugs in it (the most serious is it does not save the CASM settings correctly... I have to run the style through StyleMagic to fix the CASM settings) and I had to rewrite the manual to make sense out of the program. I also have to do several "work-arounds" to use it effectively.  The program does not support the PSR S970 but I found a way to make it work with the S970 instrument definition file (tricked the program by replacing T3 file with the S970 file) and also got it working with my several expansion pack Voices. 

Klaus was not interested in fixing the bugs.  It's too bad.  My personal issue is that if my computer quits working I will have to reinstall the program from scratch which requires a 2 PIN copy protection scheme in which Klaus provided the PIN 2 after registering the program on line so the program would boot. I will try cloning my MIDI machine HD and hopefully the program will run on the clone drive.

I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent today to EMC.

Joe H

Hi Joe
Get yourself a terrabyte usb external drive           I have two external drives and put a backup on each so that i can regularly update and have a previous image just in case or what if..
On Windows 10 go to Control Panel
Choose File History

Go to bottom of page and select System Image Backup

Finally Create Sytem Image

You will get a pop up box and it will find your new drive, then follow instructions and your whole computer and everything on will be saved including a partition drive, D in my case.
At the end it will say success do you want to create a boot cd.

You have to make sure you keep the image on the drive saved to or things will not work when you want  Recover your drive.

When you want to recover your drive -----------restore

Go to Start
Gear wheel symbol-- Settings

Update and Security

Recovery

Restart Now

You now have blue screen and on it press    Troubleshoot

now press    See more recovery options at the bottom of screen

Now press System Image Recovery

The screen will go black . Do not be alarmed and just wait until machine restarts  and eventally goes to a blue screen with your computer name in white box.

Press that box and you will get SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY SCREEN appear
The scary bit and the one that gets people confused is how do i select password.
No worries . Leave it blank and press CONTINUE

Now you get a re-image screen appear and now you see the drive that you have plugged in with your system image.
Press next  and next again and you will get a screen to say
RECOVER IMAGE

Press start and if you have a lot of gigs on your computer it can take a few hours to re image.
This works every time for me  and at the end it will say success and do you want a cd boot disc made and that is for a computer that will not boot up.
i have never used a boot disc as computers now are pretty stable until a component fails.
For me, if a computer lasts 5 years at least i will buy a new one.

This saves your entire computer and operating windows 10 program and also allows you to transfer that when your computer goes bonk.

You might know all of this Joe but this may help others to save the day if they get into deep trouble on thir computers.

All the Best
John :)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:26:56 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2021, 09:27:22 PM »
Hi Jorgen, this is the part i am struggling how to add voice settings ??

Hi
Pease read at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/midi2style/howto.htm

Step 4. Select parts and Step 5. Select voices.
Styles can hold a maximum of 8 channels (voices). You have to decide which MIDI channels to use for the style channels (bass, chord etc.)
Click the coloured field below heading Voices (melody voices) or Drums (drum sets)

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline kharri

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2021, 09:34:21 PM »
Unfortunately EMC Styleworks was also copy protected and would only work on a single machine. Once the machine dies, or something changes in the machine the program will no longer work.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2021, 12:22:25 AM »
Not if you make a system image :)

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2021, 03:10:18 AM »
Not if you make a system image :)

Our members need to heed your advice and backup their systems with "System Image", John.  :)

I have multiple systems and they are all backed up with system images.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Joe H

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2021, 03:50:04 AM »
What software do we need to do that.  Is that burning an image to a DVD? Does the system image only include the OS or all programs and data. 

I mentioned above that I intend to clone my MIDI machine HD that will make a verbatim copy of the OS, all executable files, the registry and all data files.  The software I use is easeUS DiskCopy. My MIDI machine has 2 partitions.  Drive C contains the Windows 7 OS and MOST programs.  Drive D contains a few programs and all data files (which are backed up regularly to a USB back up drive).

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:05:40 AM by Joe H »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2021, 04:14:19 AM »
What software do we need to do that.  Is that burning an image to a DVD? Does the system image only include the OS or all programs and data. 

I mentioned above that I intend to clone my MIDI machine HD that will make a verbatim copy of the OS, all executable files, the registry and all data files.  The software I use is easeUS DiskCopy. My MIDI machine has 2 partitions.  Drive C contains the Windows 7 OS and MOST programs.  Drive D contains a few programs and all data files (which are backed up regularly to a USB back up drive).

Joe H

I use AOMEI Backupper Professional, Joe.  There are many good alternatives to this software and I've used several other programs too, but I like this one for ease of use and it's fairly fast too.  The link follows and you can decide if this is for you or not.  :)

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Joe H

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2021, 05:34:57 AM »
Thanks Roger,

I see the software does cloning too.  I like simple.

I bought a brand new (backup - replacement) mother board for my MIDI machine and my everyday PC and I've cloned my personal everyday machine.  My windows 7 MIDI machine is all I will ever need.  It is off-line almost all of the time.

With an extra mb and a clone HD, plus backed up data files on an external USB 3 HD I should be in good shape for years to come.  I can hardly wait to see if my EMC Style Factory program will run on the clone HD.  I also bought a second dongle for my StyleMagic software in the event that the USB dongle gets corrupted.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:36:13 AM by Joe H »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2021, 09:22:07 AM »
Hi Joe

The Windows 10  Back up is 100%.
It always works for me
The main thing is to not change the name of the folder that your back up is in. Always leave the folder alone or the computer will not find the backup.
I made a mistake once in naming my folder to my computer name and moved it to another drive with a backup on my second machine. Disaster for me that was.
Like I said get a couple of terrabyte drives as double backup  so you can always up date one and also have the previous on for that just in case scenario.
This way you always have one back up to go back to if the System image fails (A what if guarantee).
It will save you hours and hours of heartache if you have problems or motherboard and component failure. Computers in my view are good for 5 years of constant use Maybe more if you are lucky. By that time a new computer built for music is the way to go. Eileen once said to me  "You cant take it with you". You would need a 5D computer!! ;D :P ::)
Ok a couple of decent drives for just over £100, but what a life saver. Also you can keep all of your Genos and music things on them.,but do not mess with back up folders.
In trouble , just re-image
Also great for a new machine if old on fails.
Everything the way it was ,even with the Windows 10 Operating system. The whole lot.
Once you get used to it ,it will be a breeze,but if in trouble , just ask.
No need to buy other re-image programs ,Win 10 is good.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:38:34 AM by ugawoga »

Online Dave Nuttall

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2021, 10:51:36 AM »
I use AOMEI Backupper Professional, Joe.  There are many good alternatives to this software and I've used several other programs too, but I like this one for ease of use and it's fairly fast too.  The link follows and you can decide if this is for you or not.  :)

https://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Roger,
A "TechRadar" review claims AOMEI Backupper Pro does NOT do a  good job with LONG filenames.
Have you experienced that?

Thanks.
Dave
Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.