Author Topic: Genos wont play styles or mp3s from hdd only flash drive  (Read 11333 times)

Mikey

Genos wont play styles or mp3s from hdd only flash drive
« on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

Yamaha support seem to be stumped when i spoke to them today.

Genos plays files easily from a flash drive but for some reason they seem to have overlooked the internal hard drive access as my Tyros 5 has.

I have given them to tomorrow and if no soloution, I will be sending my Genos back and just using my Tyros 5.

They are calling me tomorrow after an engineer tries some tests but it look like, if me, you have all your songs on internal hard drive and all the custom pack/styles etc, they will NOT be accesible.

Anyone else tried this?

on a sub note, what then is the point of the internal hard drive if you can only play from an unreliable flash drive?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:30:14 PM by Mikey »

Online Fred Smith

Re: Genos wont play styles or mp3s from hdd only flash drive
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
I have no trouble playing styles and mp3s from my user drive.

What specific problem are you having? Can you find the files on the drive?

What do you mean but "can’t play"?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
I have transferred a lot of my Audio files to the USER section of my Genos and some MP3 files All play fine.
When you select song A or B make sure it is on Audio. Sometimes it will be on Midi so just change it. Then select the song from User which is now in the place of the Hard Drive and press play.
  I have most of my packs loaded to Expansion and this dose not stop my songs from playing. They also play fine from my USB stick.

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
I have MP3 + CDG I use for karaoke. If I download them to the user on the Genos, it will only play the MP3 audio, no lyrics / graphics. But if I play them from a flash drive, then I get the lyrics. But all my MP3's play fine from the user.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »

That is not normal, Mikey.

Do you know that the Genos doesn't have a HDD anymore? It's flash memory now and called User memory. Not to be confused with the small User memory on Tyros!

Copying MP3s from memory stick to the User memory of the Genos and playing from there works perfectly for me.

Maybe you can make a short video showing your problem and post that on YouTube so we can see what's happening?

Maarten

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:42:27 PM »
If you are moving these MP3 files from the stick then you will probably have to re link the Lyrics.

Mike2

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 02:46:38 PM »
It's not a problem, I just leave the usb stick plugged in, and play them there. If I move the file MP3 + CDG from the usb stick to the user section, the mp3 file plays. The MP3 + CDG looks the same as a regular MP3, I cannot see anything like CDG, even on the usb stick.
Thanks

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
I think the Genos filters the CDG file out, when you make a copy only the mp3 is copied.

Try to copie with the USB transfer mode.
And look if the CDG is in the same folder and have the same name as the mp3.
Best Regards,
Wim

Mikey

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »
That is not normal, Mikey.

Do you know that the Genos doesn't have a HDD anymore? It's flash memory now and called User memory. Not to be confused with the small User memory on Tyros!

Copying MP3s from memory stick to the User memory of the Genos and playing from there works perfectly for me.

Maybe you can make a short video showing your problem and post that on YouTube so we can see what's happening?

Maarten
''the tech at yamaha spoke to me again and apologised for calling it a hard drive. He said he was lead to believe it was a ssd hard drive not flash thanks M

Mikey

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
OK a simple question (maybe),

on the Tyros 5 i find a beat i like maybe even a custom one, i think it sounds like something so i used to click "Add to mf", named it and saved, simple.

How do we do the equivalent on the Genos anyone?

( I'm asking as this is how i made my mff and i found it simple, quick and easy)

Thanks in advance

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:55 PM »
OK a simple question (maybe),

on the Tyros 5 i find a beat i like maybe even a custom one, i think it sounds like something so i used to click "Add to mf", named it and saved, simple.

How do we do the equivalent on the Genos anyone?

( I'm asking as this is how i made my mff and i found it simple, quick and easy)

Thanks in advance

The "equivalent" on a Genos is to create a registration.

Memory, Reg1, Save, Name.

Same number of steps.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Mikey

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »
I'll try that in the morning thanks

Mikey

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
Now here's a thing, I use registration memory at every gig for 8 particular sounds.
Eg I always have piano/strings in 1.
How does this affect saving a particular song to the playlist as you described?

Mikey

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
Maybe I should give an example just to clarify.
I find  a beat, want to save as a particular song on the playlist, then when I look up the playlist I pick that beat, it picks that particular beat again but I still want ALL my 8 registration sounds to be the exact same.
Is this possible and am I being dumb?

Mikey

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »
Been at this for hours lol.

Finally found a way but it's a long process.
I find a beat I think resembles a particular song, copy it, paste it to user drive, rename it then just have to search for it.
Tried appending playlist or adding items it just takes me on a runaround.
Now when I click playlist its just empty aaarrrggghhh.

Tyros coming back on tuesday

Offline maartenb

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »
Hi Mikey,

Your question is off topic. This thread is about playing MP3 files. It's better to start a new thread with your question. But I'll still give you an answer here.  ;)

Storing styles and voices for songs in MusicFinder is a bad idea. It works, but comes with many disadvantages (as you have discovered).

The "Yamaha way" is to use registrations for remembering settings. Use one registration bank per song. This gives you ten settings per song. Give the registration bank the name of the song. Make a folder on the User drive, named "REGISTRATIONS" for example. Put all your registration banks in this folder. Now you have one place where you can find all your song settings in alphabetical order.

When you want to play registration banks in a certain order (not alphabetical), you order them in a playlist. If registration banks are beads, a playlist is the string through all the beads.  ;) In each entry in the playlist you can set which registration of the registration bank should be selected.

Playlists are a great addition to the arranger!

Maarten

Offline maartenb

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:25 PM »
I find a beat I think resembles a particular song, copy it, paste it to user drive, rename it then just have to search for it.

This is very creative! And very impractical...  ;)

Just use registrations (see my post above this one).

Success!

Maarten

Mikey

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
aaarrgghh my head is bursting lol.

I'll try M, thanks and wish me luck

tyrosman

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 03:21:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D so you are having fun do you want Tyros 5 and give Genos to me