Yamaha Keyboards (4 Boards) > Yamaha Keyboards - General

The ideal arranger

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jean Abdou:

--- Quote from: Seagull29 on December 05, 2017, 09:15:26 PM ---Hi,
Just a simple question:

For you, what should the ideal arranger do? (functions, editing etc....)    8)

--- End quote ---

Should be capable of arranging music! Simple! but no manufacturer will ever create one. If you take a look at any flagship arranger keyboard, you will realize that you can never create and arrange a piece of music professionally on any of them.

For voice creation, you need a synthesizer not an arranger. The ecosystem is intentionally implemented ill-conditioned so that you buy a new keyboard every year.

mikf:
Not so simple - the term 'arranger keyboard' has been adopted to describe portable keyboards with advanced onboard accompaniment, not because they were meant to arrange music. Maybe the term is misleading, but that is nonetheless the case.
Mike

travlin-easy:
I never thought a keyboard arranged anything. Instead, the person using the keyboard does the arranging and composing using the tools at his or her disposal. As for the voices, there are thousands to select from, all of which can be modified to fit any need. No need to create new ones, IMO. I would be hard pressed to find a synth created voice that sounds as realistic as any I have heard from the TOTL keyboards available today. I guess if someone wanted to sit down at a synth or PC and create his or her own special voice, one never available in the past, and something that has resemblance to a real instrument, well have fun. Most folks could care less about this when it comes to playing or creating an arrangement on their arranger keyboard.

All the best,

Gary 8)

valio7771:
Universally ideal arranger is both very hard and easy to produce.

Why hard?
Because every person have different requirements and different approach to the keyboard, depending what music you play, how you play it, how advanced of a player you are, how technically advanced you are, and many many other aspects.
For some, simple MP3 player is more than enough (even keys may be optional), there are people that only play with styles, people that use MIDI's, or the combination of those three.

Why easy?
Now we're entering 'the twilight zone' where every keyboard manufacturer is afraid of, and will never dare to make this suicidal move and create such thing, because that's gonna be the last keyboard that they'll ever sell. There where some some attempts in this direction from hand full of companies back from the late 90's like Open Labs with their NeKo and MiKo that where running Windows XP, there where few others that I can't recall right now, and currently available Studio BLADE, Kami XL and ES models up by Music Computing, but they where all focused in studio application, and still portable enough to be used on stage if you wish to.

To recap:
It's not absolutely impossible to create such Arranger keyboard from engineering point of view, for both hard and software, although such creature would rely mostly on software than hardware. I would imagine more than 2 or even 3 fairly big touchscreens and some hardware knobs, sliders and buttons, all highly configurable. Writing proprietary software for it would be the most challenging part I think, since it have to be extremely flexible and universally compatible. It would need to be able to load any kind of VST or any other kind of sounds of your choice. There a currently available processors that are more than capable for such task, and are capable to cope with the demand of driving such software. Hi-class computer processor today have as much as 16 cores, 4.0ghz per core of clock speed, and total of 32 threads. So, yes...from the hardware point of view, we have the power to fuel such thing TODAY. And if you take into account that those numbers will be doubled in no more than a year with the current rate that technology evolves, it's crazy how much power we can have in a keyboard.
Still, the chance of such beast to be created is fairly low since the BIG names in the industry that produces such class keyboards have no interest of doing so, and even if they do, the niche market is not that big and they would not make much money from it anyway, even if the price tag is very close to $10,000 or slightly more.

They have it all sorted, fellas...that's why they'd like to grind us slowly into the next model they'll produce with mere cosmetic changes and handful of new features from the previous model, and have a solid piece of money every other year...it's that simple.

So, anyone willing to write some arranger software?  :P

Seagull29:
Hi, very interesting replies but my question was very simple about ideal arranger keyboard. It was just to know what you'd like to find as usefull functions to compose or editing, or create styles and, eventually, sounds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version