Author Topic: Genos with styles and lead settings  (Read 5747 times)

Offline ugawoga

Genos with styles and lead settings
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:24:35 PM »
Hi
Since I have upgraded my speaker system to a higher spec , I am finding the bass on styles too heavy and also bass resonance coming off the main drums being the kick.
Also when you set up a style to a lead the pan settings need adjusting to give a fuller sound in stereo, otherwise the leads can sound thin and out on their own.
I am finding with more clarity that quite a bit of balancing needs doing.
I will have to lower the numbers on the kick drums on certain styles and contain that bass as that can almost drown out a good style with mud.
I suppose on lower spec speakers like the Genos ones the bass may match because the lower end may not be so pronounced.
What a difference sound can be when you get over a bad cold!! :)

All In all I am getting there and lots to delve Into In the coming weeks.
Older styles are great and need a little adjustment which came from the tyros 5
There Is a lot more expression in the Instrument section and I am wondering when the saxes ,Tenor and Alto that will be tweaked by Yamaha In January, will beat the onboard saxes.
The sound does take a little time to get used to, but the more you delve the better It gets.
Just doing a Beatles song Here There and Everwhere with a Concert Guitar and a low orchestra lead and that sounds great as you can hear all the detail in the guitar.
Also having a go at Samba Pati Santana. The style and guitar with that dual sound on the grace notes sounds like the original, but have to get that timing right as you cannot hurry a song like that. This weekend all my Tyros styles will go In and will tweaky tweak them all to suit.
Ten times better than an electric train set!! ;D

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:37:50 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

Re: Genos with styles and lead settings
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
Hi John,
  Don't forget that now you can change individual drum sounds from one kit to another with the new drum editor. Sometimes just changing the kick drum from another kit will do the trick.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
Hey John,

What speaker set have you decided on?

I've set my EQ to Flat and Compressor to Off. Maybe that helps?

Maarten

DavidB

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »
Hey John,

What speaker set have you decided on?

I've set my EQ to Flat and Compressor to Off. Maybe that helps?

Maarten

Does that make the pianos sound like the real pianos of their names or are they still dead as a dodo in the lower ranges?

Offline hammer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
I have also found that the style parts are not well balanced on the Genos.  I use a Bose L1 compact on gigs and there is way to much bass with many of the styles.
I set the master mixer first frequency to -4DB and it solved the problem.  At home I use either a head set or a Bose Companion speaker system and I flat settings work ok.  I often replace the factory drum kit with a brush kit in many styles and it sounds great and makes a big difference.

Maybe we should ask Joe to start a section for "reworked" genos styles where we could send in our styles.

Deane

Offline JohnH

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
HI DEANE-----I play a 970 & carry it in a Bag with a shoulder strap when i play my gigs----I also use the Bose LT1---Questions----do you think i can still do that with the Genos---suppose to be only 3 1/2 pounds heaver ??   Does it sound good with the Bose ??      I also use Bose in the ear buds for at home practice---does the Genos sound good that way ??   I noted your comment about your master mixer change-----Is the Genos --SOUND a big change in the SOUNDS???       Do you think it's much better than the Tyros5 --pertaing to the sound---Hauling it around is my big concern because of the length & weight----Have you got a video of you performing with the Genos ??     Any other comments welcomed------The Genos is back ordered until mid January---I'm leaning toward getting one from Frank V-------THANKS !!---------------JohnH from Michigan

Offline hammer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
HI DEANE-----I play a 970 & carry it in a Bag with a shoulder strap when i play my gigs----I also use the Bose LT1---Questions----do you think i can still do that with the Genos---suppose to be only 3 1/2 pounds heaver ?? 
I doubt you can carry the Genos on your shoulder.

Does it sound good with the Bose ??
Yes.

I also use Bose in the ear buds for at home practice---does the Genos sound good that way ??
Yes

I noted your comment about your master mixer change-----Is the Genos --SOUND a big change in the SOUNDS???
Yes.

Do you think it's much better than the Tyros5
Never had a Tyros 5 long enough to judge.

The following users thanked this post: JohnH

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
Quoting John U
"There Is a lot more expression in the Instrument section and I am wondering when the saxes ,Tenor and Alto that will be tweaked by Yamaha In January, will beat the onboard saxes."

Hi John, the SA2 Alto and Baritone premium saxes are now part of the presets  Obviously I haven't installed the premiums to Genos as they are not available yet but nevertheless the presets get called by registrations I made on Tyros using premium voice nos. and they sound as I originally designed them to. As far as TenorSax is concerned I never installed it to Ty5 as I judged by ear the preset SA2 Tenor sounded the same. Ditto for Genos.
So I am not sure what extra the Genos updates are likely to offer assuming these are going to be made available. The Premium Trombone is not already included in Presets so it will be a useful addition.
I Find the Genos SA2 saxes not optimised for my playing as they are, and the BigBand versions seem to go over the top with vibrato,  but being meaty samples can be edited to deliver the goods.
JohnW
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:46:42 AM by jwyvern »