Author Topic: Expansion Packs in the Tyros 5  (Read 7290 times)

Offline sooty8

Expansion Packs in the Tyros 5
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
Hi

I am still getting used to my new Tyros 5, I try to learn something new every day.
Today is expansion packs, i have taken out the 1GB flash drive, and replaced it with a used 2GB flash drive , which I purchased  on e-bay. You tubed the instructions, everything went ok, purchased a cheap expansion pack on e-bay, sounds great through the Tyros.
the question I would like to ask is can I just keep adding Expansion packs until I fill up the 2GB drive. I noticed that whilst the first one was loading it was formatting, i DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE THE FIRST PACK I HAVE PUT ON THE HARD DRIVE IF I PUT ANOTHER ONE ON THE HARD DRIVE. I am saving the packs on my MacBook incase I loose them.

I have put this on another thread, but I will ask the same question hear, I have a Church Expansion pack for my S950, will Yamaha upgrade this pack for a Tyros 5, or do i have to purchase the pack again.

Thank You

Steve

Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

Offline emasters

Re: Expansion Packs in the Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:31:00 PM »
The expansion packs in your T5 are determined by the expansion packs loaded/enabled in the Yamaha Expansion Manager app (running on Windows or OS X).  So long as your packs remain loaded and enabled in the Expansion Manager app, they will continue to get downloaded to the T5, even when you add new ones in Expansion Manager.  The formatting takes place each time you updated the T5 from the Expansion Manager.  Basically, it cleans out the expansion memory, then re-downloads each pack you have selected.  You can continue doing this until you fill-up the 2GB of expansion memory.  Amazing how fast it goes, though...

Offline sooty8

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:03:59 PM »
Hi emasters

Thank you for the information, I had a feeling the flash drive  would fill up quickly, thats why I put a 2GB inside the unit.

Regards

Steve
Tyros 5   S950 S975
Bose L1 compact speaker
HS8 Studio Monitors

I Love My Tyros 5

karmacomposer

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:09:59 AM »
I'm surprised that we cannot use the HD or even USB drive for expansion memory - having as much as 256GB thumb drive or 500GB from the HD would allow us tons of room for expansion packs.

Has no one figured out a way to use these?

Mike

Offline emasters

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »
The T5 only uses Flash Memory to store the voices.  The hard drive only has a fraction of its space used.  Why Yamaha did not stream from the HD (like Kontakt, HALion, etc.), is a mystery.  Perhaps on the Genos line and beyond, Yamaha's approach to voice expansion will advance.  But with the T5, you're limited to 2GB of expansion memory max (if you purchase the add-on Flash Memory board).  BTW, one of the reasons I'm done with Yamaha keyboards.  I like the T5, but the insane process with the Expansion Manager (and reformatting Flash Memory every time), has driven me to computer-based sound design.  So much more flexibility and bang for the buck.  Sadly, Yamaha could easily compete with this by updating their voice expansion process (and cost) from the dark ages.  But alas, Expansion Manager is still used with Genos, so I refuse to get one.

karmacomposer

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:09:11 PM »
What is funny is that I went the other way.  I have been using DAWs with samples, virtual instruments and kontakt collections (some I created, many I bought) for years now.  I have not long ago decided to go back to keyboard only as my productions were sounding the same or lacking a more human element and my keyboard playing was truly suffering.  Even though I do not play out at all and am more of a studio/project musician, I still rely on my chops for good playing and now that I am back playing actual hardware keyboards, my playing has vastly improved.

That said, I agree.  Yamaha is doing this on purpose partly to save money and partly to make money.  By keeping everyone at bay by not making more modern flash drive, chips and technologies available, they are forcing everyone to buy their products and keeping us from using any old sample collection in their superior keyboards.  Amazing how great they sound and how lousy the I/O is!!!

I get why they do it, but I disagree with it.  It would take people to stop buying their arrangers in a form of boycott for them to do something about it - but it will never happen.  If the Tyros/Genos was used by a younger demographic overall, I could see some I/O changes being necessary for that age group to be satisfied, but as long as these particular keyboards are used by a more advanced age demographic, it's going to stay right where it is.

Mike

Offline emasters

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 06:42:44 PM »
If the Tyros/Genos was used by a younger demographic overall, I could see some I/O changes being necessary for that age group to be satisfied, but as long as these particular keyboards are used by a more advanced age demographic, it's going to stay right where it is.

Agreed.  The interesting thing is that the Genos is was initially promoted by Yamaha, as a "studio" instrument across demographic groups.  Yet, when one reads the postings in the Genos forums, it's clear (at least here), it's still a similar customer profile.  And watching the YouTube demos, the music also fits the existing demographic.  I suspect given the significant investment required, the buyers who can afford a Tyros or Genos tend to be more settled in career, life-style, etc. -- and thus older.  Not clear how this will change, even if Yamaha pushes to get a broader demographic with its user base.