Author Topic: Are Genos 2 styles bang up to date for modern tunes.  (Read 386 times)

Offline Ron

Are Genos 2 styles bang up to date for modern tunes.
« on: April 23, 2024, 02:44:44 PM »
I find that the limiting factor with Yamaha keyboards is that the stock styles do not keep up with modern music. More styles are added with every new model release but the content still tends to favour old and mostly favourites from yesteryear.  How is Yamaha going to persuade young players to purchase a keyboard on which most of the styles relate to tunes that they do not even know?  To be fair, the majority of modern pop music is unplayable to most people but how can a young up and coming musician be expected to buy an expensive “ band in a box” keyboard which does not cater for modern tastes.  This does not affect me or most of the players that I know as we are all deeply rooted in the music of years gone by and I only have a Tyros 3 but still manage to find built in styles for the sort of music I like to play. It is possible to create one’s own styles but this needs knowledge and experience which would not automatically be available to most players.  Styles can also be bought or downloaded from various forums etc but if I was now starting from scratch I would choose a keyboard which was not classed as a work station but meant to be played as a musical instrument.  No styles available if using this route but if playing in a band, as I used to do, then built in styles are not needed.  Any thoughts on this topic?

Offline DrakeM

Re: Are Genos 2 styles bang up to date for modern tunes.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 06:53:42 PM »
I am not sure what you are calling music of today.

If it is hip hop ... I think that music is all one chord songs with just different drum patterns changing during the song.

Pop music is just repeating the same lyric line 3 or more times in a row, add one verse and repeat until you have a 3 to 4 minute vocal take.

With today's country music you can use your 26 country styles and steal parts from your Pop&Rock, R&B and Ballad styles to make styles to fit what they are calling today's country music.

All the parts are contained in the styles, you just need to move stuff around to make styles for what ever you want.  ;D

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 07:18:38 PM »
Why do retirement homes not have hip hop playing on the background music, or a video games gallery. If they did they might attract a lot more young people to stay there😏
Yamaha know the market for these instruments. As they know the market for all the instruments they sell.
Mike

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 10:41:09 AM »
I mentioned this in an earlier thread   
In Genos 2 there were basically NO new Dance styles BUT a lot of new styles from the 80's
So yes Yamaha know the age range they are targeting

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:06:25 AM »
Why do retirement homes not have hip hop playing on the background music, or a video games gallery. If they did they might attract a lot more young people to stay there😏
Yamaha know the market for these instruments. As they know the market for all the instruments they sell.
Mike

As a registered carer, I think as you get older, and your joints start to give out, your eyesight starts to deteriorate, and your memory starts to fade, ANY music is very welcome.

You won't be HIP HOPPING anywhere my friend.

It's called Old Age!

Keith
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:16:20 PM »
I find Yamaha Keyboards have there fair share of head banging styles Plus the DJ ones that are suitable for todays so called music.

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:59:17 PM »
Ron,

I don't think young people have $5500 to spend on a keyboard and besides that there is not too much new music out there worthy of it's on Style.

I am still holding off on the Genos 2, I will likely make my move in the fall as I normally wait a year after the release of a new keyboard to see popular opinion and until they get the bugs worked out. Also the price will come down a bit. This strategy has worked for the last twenty years.

Rick D.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 04:57:15 PM »
We have been lucky with Genos2 No real bugs and have only had one update so I am well pleased with mine.

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 05:37:02 PM »
Mike

Mike is right on. EDM, hip hop, etc. are an afterthought on Genos/PSR. The few styles are there in case a performer gets a request at a wedding reception or whatever.

Yamaha makes instruments which are targeted at contemporary genres -- the Montage/MODX synths and now the SEQTRAK groove box. The SEQTRAK is styled like the popular Teenage Engineering products and is teen-to-twenties affordable: $399 USD (MAP/street). The workflow and companion app support the "beat-making" production process.

As to musical genres, I'm not about to yell "Get off of my lawn" at anybody.  ;D

Peace and playing -- pj