Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Recording & Song Player

Editing the Chord Track

<< < (4/4)

jerrythek:
Thanks for the kind words Jeremy, and glad you're making use of the transcriptions.

The review is for Electronic Musician Magazine, Keyboard only lives online now. I wish it were the old days when I had a lot of space to go deep, but magazines are woefully small these days. So the review references and assumes that you read my last review of the Tyros5 and the Korg Pa4X. So many things I couldn't fit in to mention this time.

I still am absolutely blown away by the Ensemble feature and it's intelligent voice assignment. I can start to fake that with other keyboard using one voice with high note priority and one voice with low note, but there's no way to get a third (of fourth) voice to play properly. Once you've tried the Yamaha method you can never go back to simulating horn sections etc. again on "lesser" systems.

I'll let you all know when the review goes live.

Happy Holidays.

Jerry

Wim NL:
Still got no access in SongRec > Multi Recording > Chord Step Edit

[attachment deleted by admin]

Salleke:

--- Quote from: pjd on December 06, 2017, 06:42:40 PM ---Hi Jerry --

First, I've gotta say that I'm looking forward to your review! I enjoy reading your comments and analysis. Thanks for taking the time from your writing to send such a thorough reply.

Needless to say, your suggestions are right on and I like the approach which you described for working with SysEx (and other difficult low-level data) in a "humanized" way. Hopefully, Yamaha will adopt this approach (and other techniques) now that they are free of the old UI and its legacy code. You're right -- it will take more work and effort on their part to craft all of the dialogues.

I'm not much of a songwriter myself, but I see the need to try different chord progressions. Again, your observation is spot on. Since Yamaha are pitching the Genos to songwriters and composers (in addition to its traditional customer base), your observation might encourage them to improve the chord track.

Yamaha received a patent (U.S. 9,142,203) on a method that translates a textual chord chart to an accompaniment. A chord chart might look like:

Title: AAAAA
    Composer: BBBBB
    Key: CMajor
    Style name: Pop1
    Musical time: 4/4
    Tempo: 120
    [A]
    | C | C F | F G7 | C_G7 C |
    | C | C F | F C  | F G7 C_ |

| C | C | F C | C G7 |
    | C | C | F C | G7 C |

Not that different from chord charts found on the Web.

I mention this because it would be so much easier to enter a lead sheet or experiment with chord progressions if the incoming representation was more compact and musical than the chord track editor in Song Creator.

Perhaps Yamaha envisions the chord chart translator as a tablet-based tool that sends the accompaniment to an arranger workstation? I guess we won't find out until Yamaha finally releases a tool based on the patent. Yamaha's Chord Tracker app can send an accompaniment to an arranger workstation, so the transfer part is definitely do-able.

The discussion got me reminiscing about the QY-70. The QY's chord and pattern track inspired me to check out Yamaha's arranger workstations and that got me into this whole thing!

Thanks, again -- pj

--- End quote ---

Hello PJD,

I know that this is a very old topic but I would like to know if YAMAHA meanwhile have done
something with this:

Yamaha received a patent (U.S. 9,142,203) on a method that translates a textual chord chart
to an accompaniment. A chord chart might look like:

Title: AAAAA
    Composer: BBBBB
    Key: CMajor
    Style name: Pop1
    Musical time: 4/4
    Tempo: 120
    [A]
    | C | C F | F G7 | C_G7 C |
    | C | C F | F C  | F G7 C_ |

| C | C | F C | C G7 |
    | C | C | F C | G7 C |

Thank you in advance and again sorry for using this old topic.

Salleke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version