Author Topic: Transition of non-Yamaha expansion packs (CPF) to Genos  (Read 8011 times)

Offline bluali

Transition of non-Yamaha expansion packs (CPF) to Genos
« on: December 01, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
There is a hard challenge for me regarding of transitioning from Tyros5 to Genos. I have several non-Yamaha customized packs (in CPF format) which only works in my Tyros5(using the n27).  I wish I could transfer them to my new Genos using the same procedure that I do for my Yamaha Exp packs via the YamahaMusicSoft web service. I need my CPFs since I have made so many new styles based on the those voices and drumkits since last 3 years.  I guess many people who are also using customized non-Yamaha packs might have the same problem. unfortunately it may be a big negative point when you decide upgrading to a newer keyboard. I do support Yamaha initiative for protecting those who make music and styles but I think when you have paid once for the pack combined with your n27, you should be able to register it with YamahamusicSoft and it must be movable to the new device that you have registered with Yamaha as well. Meanwhile, I have found some ways around that but it takes lots of time to re sample all the dram-kits and voices. I hope Yamaha offer a simple solution for that soon.
Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Transition of non-Yamaha expansion packs (CPF) to Genos
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 06:25:24 PM »
Surely if the makers/sellers of these packs have chosen to supply them in protected form, they are doing so to protect their copyright.

You can't seriously expect Yamaha to provide any way of unprotecting such packs, thus potentially allowing them to be 'shared' openly!  ??? :o

Have you checked with the sellers of your packs to see if they are offering a free upgrade to a Genos version, similar to Yamaha's policy?

Regards

Ian

Offline manuel

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
Hello everyone.....

Using the same packs that I had for the Tyros5 (CPF), I did transfer them to the Yamaha Expansion Manager (Free Software from Yamaha, make sure you get the latest one that was just posted couple weeks ago), and I made a single .CPI file to load into my Genos with NO problem at all, I merged all my Premium Expansion packs, plus all the PSR S expansion packs that I demo/use (7Since is 100% compatible), plus one more pack that I made, so, all together about 18.

All the packs work perfectly in the Genos.
Of course, make sure you have your own Genos Export ID number into the YEM.

I mention this because, I found out that EACH Genos generates it's own ID number, unlike the PSR S PPI files, that you can install the PPI file in many PSR S of the same model with no problem, this do NOT apply to the Genos.....I did try to install my CPI Genos file into a friend's Genos, and it was not possible, and on a hunch, I got my Friend's Genos ID and did again the CPI file into the YEM with the appropriate ID number, made the new CPI file, and works like a charm....

My 2 Cents

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

The following users thanked this post: motifes

Offline manuel

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
Just to be clear, I used The CPF files from my Premium Tyros 5 files (Latin, Entertainer, US+EU Organ, ChoirVocal, Vintage, Pan FlutesS.A.2, Trombone S.A.2 , etc.... and the PPF files are from the PSR S series Expansion Packs (mariachi-Norteņo, Banda, Mexicano, Cumbia Latina y Mas, Salsa, Colores de Iberia, Russian, etc...,) I Used BOTH (extensions of those packs) to merge them with the YEM to make a single pack to install in the Genos.
And I repeat, works Perfectly.

Manuel
My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
You should not have a problem loading in non protected packs. Once you update the YEM it will still show the packs and Tyros 5. You must now import your ID number from Genos for it to show on the left hand side of YEM. Press it and you will still see all the packs. You can now get rid of the Tyros 5 section. You now make a pack just as you did on Tyros 5 for Genos. You must have updated the Genos OS before doing this of course.

Offline bluali

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Thank you all for the inputs. If you just look at the topic, I am talking about NON_Yamaha packs, I do not have any problems with transferring my Yamaha packs.  Also I absolutely support the copy protection that Yamaha has added to the YEM . I did not want Yamaha remove the protection from any CPF files.  I just need to transfer my CPF packs that I have already paid for it to my new Yamaha keyboard like Genos while it still will remain protected and can not be installed in any other persons keyboard. the same way that we all have transferred the Yamaha CPF packs to our new keyboard so far. it does not violate any copyright law and Yamaha has been doing it for everyone who has registered with YamahaMusicSoft web site. By the way I have tried to find the person who has made some of my expansion packs(includes about 35 drumkits) and I couldn't find him which means that I am stuck with my tyros 5, or I have to rebuild more then 400 of my styles with the new drumkits, or spend lots time re-sample the CPF packs myself to be used in Genos.   8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:37:49 PM by bluali »
Yamaha (since 1977): YC10, PSR500, TYROS 3/4/5, Genos, GENOS2
GM: WK8,
Korg: i5S, Pa80, PA1X, PA800, PA2x, PA4x, PA5X
Technics: KN3000