Author Topic: Aux line outputs  (Read 925 times)

Offline OmbDave

Aux line outputs
« on: March 01, 2024, 08:33:24 PM »
Hi everyone,
I hope someone can help me before I buy some aux cables. I use the main L & R line outputs to my H.K.Audio Polar10’s P A systems but on some small stages they have to be slightly in front of me thus a need for a foldback monitor. I have a spare active soundbar which is powerful enough for me to hear and I want to use either aux line 3 or line 4 output to send to a 3.5mm line input on the soundbar, so the question is are these aux outputs stereo or not. If they are not stereo I will have to obtain a twin mono standard jack to stereo 3.5mm jack, to get a sereo signal using aux out 3 and 4, not sure if that’s possible. Please give me your views.
Thank you in anticipation.
Dave
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:44:22 PM by OmbDave »
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

Offline pjd

Re: Aux line outputs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 12:48:15 AM »
Yamaha could be more specific about the SUB 3 and SUB 4 signals in the specs. Looking at the service manual, SUB 3 and SUB 4, each, are MONO signals. Thus, I would expect these jacks in AUX mode to form a stereo pair, i.e., LEFT via SUB 3 and RIGHT via SUB 4.

One could verify by placing SUB 3 and 4 into AUX mode and send a stereo signal out. Pan full left then full right. Hear what happens... I'd try it, but it's getting late, here.

Of course, I could be all wet. Neither SUB 1/2 or SUB 3/4 have sum-to-mono (L+R) switching.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. 1/4" TS to 3.5mm stereo cables are quite common (so-called break-out cables, thinking in the other direction). My spouse thinks I have too many such cables.  :D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 12:49:43 AM by pjd »

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 07:07:14 AM »
Hello PJD and thank you for your reply.Your answer confirmed what I thought so today I’ll visit PMT Manchester u.k. and get 2 x 3.5mm to 4” cables and use them into my soundbar.
Thank you for your help
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 07:35:43 PM »
Hi Dave --

If the 3.5mm input jack of the soundbar is STEREO, I would get a 3.5mm stereo plug to dual 1/4" MONO plugs -- a so-called splitter cable. An example is the Hosa CMP-153 Stereo Y-Cable Mini Male - Two 1/4" Mono Males 3 ft.

Plug the Black 1/4" MONO lead into Sub 3 (AUX left) and the Red 1/4" MONO lead into Sub 4 (AUX right) and the cable should send a stereo signal into the soundbar.

I suspect that the soundbar 3.5mm input is stereo...

Hope this doesn't cause you confusion -- pj

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 04:44:36 PM »
Hi PJ and thanks for your second reply. Your suggestion was exactly what I did and it works flawlessly. I purchased a twin 1/4” to stereo mini jack cable for £12 from PMT Manchester U.K and I’m very happy now. Well done PJ your advice as always was first class
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
HK Audio Polar10

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 05:29:36 PM »
Thanks, Dave! -- pj