Author Topic: value of T5 Trade-in for Genos ?  (Read 8794 times)

Offline Al Ram

value of T5 Trade-in for Genos ?
« on: November 29, 2017, 04:32:21 AM »
I am considering getting the Genos.   Already sold my Tyros 4 and looking into selling vs trading-in my Tyros 5 for a new Genos.

So, i am looking at the numbers $$$.   I already have an idea of average value of selling it.

I believe that in terms of dollars, it is probably better to sell the T5 rather than trading it.  However, selling is not that easy.   Trading is probably easier faster.

But i have a question . . . .   For those of you in USA that traded-in a T5 for a Genos . . .

can you please tell me what was the trade-in value of the T5  ? 

I am not asking for the price of Genos, just the trade-in value of T5.

If you do not feel comfortable here, can you please send me a PM.

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: value of T5 Trade-in for Genos ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
I can only relay the info I got from my dealer, and that is that I would need to pay an additoinal EUR 2100-2300 to my T5-76 for a Genos. The price for a Genos is around EUR 4600, so a T5-76 trade-in will yield EUR 2300-2500.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline Ingar

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »
I can only relay the info I got from my dealer, and that is that I would need to pay an additoinal EUR 2100-2300 to my T5-76 for a Genos. The price for a Genos is around EUR 4600, so a T5-76 trade-in will yield EUR 2300-2500.

I read that the Genos prize is about to drop to about 3900 Euro .  Maybee sit on it or a while?
Ingar
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:02:40 AM by Ingar »

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
That's possible. Apart from the fact that I'm not yet convinced of the added value of the Genos, I never buy such a complex and expensive device so soon after market launch. I always wait a few months to see actual user reviews and possible wait for the first firmware update to fix v1.0 bugs.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

The following users thanked this post: bluali

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
I read that the Genos prize is about to drop to about 3900 Euro .  Maybee sit on it or a while?
Ingar

It should been dropped long time ago to compete to the "TOTL market".
Here in Norway T5 price increased a lot just before Genos was announced. If look at musicstores now, in fact Genos is lower priced than T5-76.
(Genos NKr 43 550,00 - T5-76 NKr 45 393,00).
Both are priced way above the PA4X-76 and SD9 that are at approx 25% lower price.

I can see a few T4 and T5 at local ebay now, but it remains to see how it sells. Also to see what dealers will do with the "old" items when sell as 2.nd hands.

Normally, as seen earlier when new models are ready to sell, past model drop about 20-25% to empty the stock, and as a trade in it would be around half of that price.
But nothing seems to be "normal" anymore.........  ???

Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
Al Ram, I would never trade-in any keyboard for an upgraded model.  I have had lots of success selling here in the USA thru Craigslist.   I've been very fortunate and have received a much better price than if I traded.  I also live just outside Boston, Ma where there is a large population of musicians and students who attend Berkley School of Music.  When I sell I meet the buyer in a public location for the safety of both of us.  I prefer Craigslist because there are no fees like Ebay.   I always sell for cash only.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline markstyles

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:11:49 AM »
I'm still holding on to my T5, just haven't gotten around to it.. Yes, you'll get a better deal selling it yourself.. Did you try looking on Ebay, Craigslist, or other similar sites?

For some owners, they'd rather not bother with selling it themselves..  Here in NYC, when I sell an important piece of gear, I sell it for cash only, with a signed written receipt, stated 'as is'..  I've sold three Tyros's, and all the buyers knew exactly what they were getting into it.  I let them play if, or I play it, I point out any flaws, which at the most has been a scratch or something.. I also manage to have a 'friend over' at the time. Just in case some thinks of ripping you off.

Sad society has come to this..  Hence, the popularities of trade-ins.. but doing it yourself, can gain you more $$$$.   All the Tyros's were roughly the same price as I remember.  I sold them for about 60% of what I paid for them..  I look at all the for sale prices I an find,  and price accordingly.   I'd rather  move  them quickly..

There is always some fool, who thinks he can sell a 3 year old instrument for $300 less. 

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34:41 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. 

I have been asking dealers around and it looks like i would be better off selling it rather than trading-in.   Of course there is more work in selling it but it is probably worth it.

I am looking forward at ordering the new Genos, still working the numbers. 

thanks a lot. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 08:05:08 AM »
Ingar

I don't think so
IF Yamaha did so that would be unfair to the early adopters and pre orders.
IF they decided to do so, with next model everyone would be sitting there not ordering till the first price drop
Yamaha is not known for changing their prices over the life course of a product
Official price will stay as it is. Advertised price to.

The only thing that may change is dealers giving a better deal.
Butt hat deal is cut of their dealers share of the earnings.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »
I looked on Ebay to sadly discover two T5's going for $1400 each (different sellers, or at least a different ad..  I sold my previous Tyros's for $1900.  Considering I paid about $3700 for them from Frank at Audioworks, I felt it was an acceptable depreciation.   Of course someone of Ebay was also selling there T5 for $5000.

When I sell something in that price range, I am generally willing to knock $200 off or so on the spot. if the person has the cash, and is ready to do business.

Maybe the $1400 was too cheap, maybe those T5's were banged up.. When purchasing an expensive piece of gear, keep the box and manuals in good condition, It is really a boon for the sale. It's another sign you took really good care of the machine.

I personally feel an affinity towards the musical instruments I buy.. So if I can see the potential buyer really wants it, and is going to give it a home as good as I gave it, I might accomodate his price too. When I first started buying instruments, some were used, and the seller did that for me. I have always been thankful for that. One guy even gave me a fairly decent used upright piano.  I had to pay to move it of course. But it shaped my future in music.

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »
I looked on Ebay to sadly discover two T5's going for $1400 each (different sellers, or at least a different ad..  I sold my previous Tyros's for $1900.  Considering I paid about $3700 for them from Frank at Audioworks, I felt it was an acceptable depreciation.   Of course someone of Ebay was also selling there T5 for $5000.

Out of curiosity, I just searched used Yamaha Tyros 5 on Ebay, the asking prices that came up were US$2,750 + $100+ shipping and up.  I wonder how you found the $1,400 deals for used Tyros 5?  Or, how did you find the real prices / the final bids on the recently sold Tyros 5 on Ebay?

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:57:15 PM by zionip »

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
Ingar

That was me Ingar.
A dealer here is selling me a Genos for 3900€.
Their official website shows a price of 4300.
But they told me I can have it for 3900€.
Mind you, I buy all my gear from them. And have been doing so for 20 years.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 10:11:19 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 11:36:05 PM »
I looked on Ebay to sadly discover two T5's going for $1400 each (different sellers, or at least a different ad..

$1,400 for a Tyros 5 in good/acceptable condition is an unheard of price . . . . I searched the internet and lowest price I could find for a used T5 in good working condition is $2,850 including shipping.    If anyone purchased a good T5 for $1,400 they were extremely lucky . . . .

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana