Author Topic: what am I doing wrong?  (Read 5536 times)

Rolf Lindell

what am I doing wrong?
« on: November 21, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
I have Always recorded my music to a USB-stick as separate wave-files. I do this so that I can listen to my self a try to improve my playing (there is much to improve). However, I now have 70 recorded wavefiles on this USB-stick. Today it stop av 8 sek recording. Telling me that this divice was no good?.

I tried a bland USB-stick and that was no problem. Then I put the stick to a computer and copied the wave-file to my original usb-stick. Once inserted into my keyboard I was able to play back my recording.

My question: Am I doing something stupid or is there some kind om max wavefile?

Geria

Re: what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Rolf, A while back I had the same problem. I use a 32gb stick for all my files, registrations, midi files etc, and when I started to record it would not take it. I'm not a techie, but I've been told that the speed for recording directly to a stick that has a lot of data is problematic. I'm using a dedicated 2gb stick for all my recordings and then transfer to my 32gb one. Just as you have experienced it is working well. To speed up I have a short USB cable plugged in my PSR S950 that can receive 2 sticks and so I transfer through the keyboard. Hope this helps.

Good Luck,
Gerry

Rolf Lindell

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip. I was not clear that the PSR S770 could have 2 usb stick at the same time. I will try this as soon as possible

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
You need a basic USB hub (they are not expensive) then you can plug in 2 USB at the same time.
Genos

Rolf Lindell

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:32:27 PM »
There is USB-hubb 2,0 and 3,0. My keyboard is s770. Which Hubb do I buy?

Offline frankia

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
Hi Rolf.

Either should work well. USB 3 is backward compatible to 2 so get the 3 and you can use it for other things which require the faster speed of a 3.

By the way I use a 32 gig on my 970 and have no problems but did have a problem with an 8 gig stick. - the 32 is a good quality stick with a good speed rating though and I am inclined to think the 8 that I had problems with was not a good quality model.

One other thing occurred to me. When the 770 & 970 models came out they did have a problem writing to USB but after the first software update that problem was fixed. Have you updated the software since new? The current firmware version is 1.06. You may want to take a look here https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/firm_psr-s770.html to check out how to check which version you are running and how to update if you are using an old version.
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:54:21 PM by frankia »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
This is a well known problem with PSR's over the years.

However Yamaha claim to have improved this in the latest firmware version (1.06) for the S970 and S770.

I don't have a PSR so I can't confirm that it improves things in this respect.

Here is what the 'Version History says about it on the Yamaha downloads website...

[V1.05 to V1.06]

Improved the Lyric views when playing back Song data which has many chord events.
Fixed a problem in which Kit Voices in specific Multi Pads would be transposed.
Improved the install speed of Expansion Packs.
Improved the stability of audio recording when recording to USB flash drive.
Fixed minor problems

So you might want to check to see which firmware version is currently installed in your S770, and update it if necessary!

Regards

Ian

Rolf Lindell

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
Thanks for your Quick answers. I try to figure out which version I have om my keyboard. I haven't done any update since I bought it (march 2017). The keyboard Always record on USB1. I have no trouble to copy and paste to USB2. So the USB2 stick is working great but I can't record to it. Fells a bit funny

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 03:36:17 PM »
To see what version of firmware is installed on your S770,  press 'FUNCTION' > tab to 'Menu 2' > 'SYSTEM' > tab to 'OWNER' > 'VERSION' (#7 or #8 buttons).

The latest version is 1.06 which was released on 26/10/2016, so your keyboard may already have it installed.

If you do need a copy of 1.06, you can get it from the Yamaha UK web page at this link (or the equivalent page on your local regional Yamaha site if you prefer)...

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s770/downloads.html#product-tabs

Regards

Ian

Offline Denn

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
Hello, have just upgraded my S770 to version1.06. Took ages for me to remember to do this. Put the USB stick with the PRM data on into the kbd.From "OFF" hold the STOP?START button as you switch ON. Follow instructions and watch the line during the 6 stage install. Regards, Den.
Love knitting dolls