Author Topic: "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"  (Read 24524 times)

Offline zionip

"Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"
« on: November 20, 2017, 04:33:40 PM »
A Genos owner Paul Jones discovered that "Auto Power Off" did not work.

The Genos came with "Auto Power Saving" at 5 min and "Auto Power Off" at 30 min, but these two options did not work on mine. I turned on "Auto Power Saving" to 5 min, and "Auto Power off" to 10 min as testing. Both did not seem to work, the Genos stays on.  Then I tried different combinations of time values for these two options, and they both did not work.

I personally prefer both "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" to be disabled though.  The owner's manual page 24 shows short cut to disabling both features "Turn the power on while holding down the lowest key on the keyboard. A message appears briefly and Auto Power Off and Auto Power Saving are disabled."

Paul
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:09:23 PM by zionip »

Offline markstyles

Re: "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
Auto Power off works on my Genos.. I've tried different times too. I leave it at 2 hours now.. Since there is no hard drive, I see no problem, other than using electricity..

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
Auto Power off works on my Genos.. I've tried different times too. I leave it at 2 hours now.. Since there is no hard drive, I see no problem, other than using electricity..

Interesting.  That is good for you that "Auto Power Off" works on your Genos.

Which time values did you set "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" to?  I was impatient, and so only tested the shortest time settings, which did not work.

I still prefer "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" to be disabled anyway.  It is out of curiosity that I want to know why these options work for you, but not me.   :)

Thanks,
Paul

Offline zionip

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:21:56 PM »
I got an interim post on this thread that confirmed that the "Auto Power Off" for Genos works, with initial setting of 30 minutes.  I tested my Genos using the same setting for "Auto Power Off", together with 10 minutes for "Auto Power Saving", these features still do not work for my Genos.

When I returned to this thread, the interim post was deleted.

Personally, I prefer these "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options to be disabled.  Just curious why these published features work on some, but not all Genos. 

Maybe I should stop trying to know whether these options work or not, and move on.

Paul

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »
And I thought something wrong with my Genos when I went back to my music room and the Genos was turned off and I know I left it on. Didn't know there was such Power Saving feature. Thanks for this info!

Offline zionip

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
And I thought something wrong with my Genos when I went back to my music room and the Genos was turned off and I know I left it on. Didn't know there was such Power Saving feature. Thanks for this info!

I'm glad it works for you.

What are your time value settings on "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"?  Menu - Menu2 - Utility - System.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »
I'm glad it works for you.

What are your time value settings on "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off"?  Menu - Menu2 - Utility - System.

Thanks,
Paul

I am at work at the moment but I'll check later on tonight after work, got 5 more hours to go. Thanks

Offline maartenb

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:52:12 AM »
My Genos turns off after 30 min. I haven't tried the other values.

I have no idea what the "Power Save" mode does.

Maybe a wild idea: When my Genos turned off after 30 min it was running firmware v1.02. Now I am on v1.10, but haven't seen the Genos turn off. I thought it was because I played the instrument.  ;)

I'll do some tests when I have the opportunity.

Maarten

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
My Genos turns off after 30 min. I haven't tried the other values.

I have no idea what the "Power Save" mode does.

Maybe a wild idea: When my Genos turned off after 30 min it was running firmware v1.02. Now I am on v1.10, but haven't seen the Genos turn off. I thought it was because I played the instrument.  ;)

I'll do some tests when I have the opportunity.

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

You might have found the answer.  I confirm at firmware revision 1.10, Genos does not auto power off, at least for me and another guy Paul Jones.

You can test by setting "Auto Power Saving" to 5 minutes (for screen saving), and "Auto Power Off" to 10 minutes.  I try many combinations of these 2 values but none of them work at firmware level 1.10.

Paul

The following users thanked this post: dragon

DavidB

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
My Genos on 1.10 auto powers off at 30 minutes.

This is what is set under the Utility/System menu item.

I must admit in the same place it is also set to Auto Power Saving 5 minutes but I have no idea what that does (haven't read that part of the manual yet).

I have not used a 'shortcut' to disable them and I'm pretty sure if I wanted to I would do it from the same menu items.

Regards,

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »
The power save is to dim the display brightness.  My was set to 1 which is the lowest level, therefore it does not do anything at all.  If you were going to put the brightness of the screen up, it should dim itself after the set time.

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
Paul,

Something strange happen today.  I set the auto power off to 5 min yesterday, knowing that the Genos won’t switch off, so I left it for a while. It switched itself off when I was away from the Keyboard.  I tried it again,( time it this time ) the Keyboard switched itself off after 5 minutes. '!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:46 AM »
Here's my default settings. See attached photo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »
Paul,

Something strange happen today.  I set the auto power off to 5 min yesterday, knowing that the Genos won’t switch off, so I left it for a while. It switched itself off when I was away from the Keyboard.  I tried it again,( time it this time ) the Keyboard switched itself off after 5 minutes. '!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am glad that now "Auto Power Off" of Genos works for you.  I set the "Auto Power Saving" to 5 minutes, and "Auto Power Off" to 30 minutes, then walked away and had my dinner and watched some online movie.  I returned to my Genos after 1 hour and 3 minutes, and it was still powered on.

Do you still remember what specifically you had to do before these features started to work?  Did your Genos's Auto Power Off suddenly started to work?

Paul

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 05:25:16 AM »
Hi Paul,

I don't recall doing anything special, that's the weird bit. I might have turn the "auto power saving" to off, as it was at the lowest setting, 1, which have no effect anyway.

Paul

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
Hi Paul,

Just tested again, it'll work only with "auto power saving" OFF.

Offline zionip

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your information.

I tried mine, and it still does not work.  I cannot explain this - same firmware, same auto power settings, different results.

Paul

Offline dragon

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your information.

I tried mine, and it still does not work.  I cannot explain this - same firmware, same auto power settings, different results.

Paul

I am having the same results as you. i.e firmware 1.10 switch off not working.
Really need a firmware upgrade ref the glitches that have been reported so far.
Cheers Carol

DavidB

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
Could this have something to do with using the power save shortcut rather than going through the menu each time?

I haven't used the short cut, ever, only the menu items, I'm on 1.10 and it all works as it should.

I'm sure it sounds crazy but computers being computers... I wonder if you've used the shortcut to disable the feature if you need to use the shortcut to re-enable it before the menu items will take any notice of you?

I also wonder if this isn't something where you need to recycle the power after every change?

Just some ideas because it does seem odd the same keyboards on the same OS should behave differently.

Offline markstyles

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
Settings for me were 15 minutes and 2 hours.. When I got it, the  power off was at shortest.. Frustrating for me, that worked two..  I use the Genos in my home studio, so tend to turn it on, and leave on all day..  (work on music, go for a walk, work on music, do laundry, etc).   Not sure if this still applies, but in the old days (70's) recording studios I worked in, said it was less strain, on components to leave on all the time,  The power on/off, ran more of a risk of component failure..  Being retired, (limited income) and living in NYC..  leaving things on all the time, adds up to considerable $$$ from Con Ed..

Updated firmware yesterday on Genos,  power saving/ on/off still works fine.  Stange some peoples machine work and others don't..  Implies that it's hardware (to me)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:34:35 PM by markstyles »

Offline dragon

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 04:22:52 PM »
Could this have something to do with using the power save shortcut rather than going through the menu each time.

I used the menu every time.
Last time I tried it I powered off, powered on, went to Menu/Utility/System. Had Auto Power Saving Disabled. Auto Power off set to 5 min. Exit. I made sure that I did not touch a Registration just in case my last previous setting was set in a Registration. Left the Genos and came back to it long after the off time was set and it was still on.
Cheers Carol

Offline zionip

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 06:29:11 PM »
Could this have something to do with using the power save shortcut rather than going through the menu each time?

I haven't used the short cut, ever, only the menu items, I'm on 1.10 and it all works as it should.

I'm sure it sounds crazy but computers being computers... I wonder if you've used the shortcut to disable the feature if you need to use the shortcut to re-enable it before the menu items will take any notice of you?

I also wonder if this isn't something where you need to recycle the power after every change?

Just some ideas because it does seem odd the same keyboards on the same OS should behave differently.

Hi David,

The short cut, pressing the lowest key while powering up the Genos, only disables "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" optoins.  The short cut is not a toggle - performing the short cut the second time, which I tested, does not re-enable "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off".

I have been using Menu - Menu2 - Utility - System to access "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options.

I even performed Factory Reset on System, have "Auto Power Saving" set to 5 minutes, and "Auto Power Off" set to 30 minutes, rebooted Genos multiple times, but these two options still do not work on my Genos with firmware 1.10.

I am puzzled by this inconsistent behaviors of different Genos with same firmware on these two Auto Power options too.

Paul

DavidB

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 06:46:32 PM »
OK, one other difference, although I'm not entirely sure on this one. It was suggested in the early days of Genos deliveries that the European models had to have different power supplies fitted? I'm still amazed if this is true, but I wonder if PSU/Voltage doesn't play a part.

My working model is on a UK 240AC Power Supply.

Regards,

Offline zionip

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 08:06:49 PM »
OK, one other difference, although I'm not entirely sure on this one. It was suggested in the early days of Genos deliveries that the European models had to have different power supplies fitted? I'm still amazed if this is true, but I wonder if PSU/Voltage doesn't play a part.

My working model is on a UK 240AC Power Supply.

Regards,

I see.  My Genos model is for North America.

The owner's manual of Genos, and the Yamaha product website do not mention whether the built-in power supply is multi-voltage or single voltage.  I assume that Genos is a ARM based computer running Linux OS dedicated to providing arranger keyboard functionalities, so I speculate that Genos built-in power supply should be multi-voltage, like any laptop or desktop computers.  Yamaha just include different power cables for Genos for different markets, like type G for UK, and type US ( see Plug and socket types  https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/ ).  I assume Yamaha uses same multi-voltage power supplies on all Genos to reduce their manufacturing costs, which is good for travelling musicians.

I still prefer the Genos to be on all the time.  So these 2 auto power options are not significant to me.  I am just doing fact finding to satisfy curiosity why these auto power options work on some but not all Genos at the same firmware level.  From the stand point of software engineering, same hardware with same software and same parameter settings should have the same result on identical products.

Thanks,
Paul

DavidB

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
PSU Labels for USA and UK. Not sure what any other countries might say. It doesn't tell us much of course but it might explain the difference in behaviour all other points being equal.

Offline zionip

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 09:30:31 PM »
PSU Labels for USA and UK. Not sure what any other countries might say. It doesn't tell us much of course but it might explain the difference in behaviour all other points being equal.

Hi David,

You are right.

Yamaha put single voltage power supplies on Genos for different markets.  This could affect the results of "Auto Power" options on different Genos.  I am eager to hear from owners of Genos is US about how these "Auto Power" options work on theirs.

So far it looks like the Genos in UK (230V 50Hz) and the Netherlands (230V 50Hz) have the "Auto Power" options working, whereas the same options do not work on my US Genos (120V 60Hz).

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:57:11 PM by zionip »

Offline dragon

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
Sorry to spoil your theory but my Genos is a UK Model with auto shut off not working.
Cheers Carol

Offline zionip

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »
Sorry to spoil your theory but my Genos is a UK Model with auto shut off not working.
Cheers Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks for letting me know.

So now back to square one, why the "Auto Power" options work on some Genos but not all remains a mystery.

Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi Paul

Another one to add to your list of "working" Genos auto off

Version 1.10 UK model

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 09:10:33 PM »
Thanks Alan.

My US Genos does not support these 2 Auto Power options.  :)  Eileen also mentioned that her Genos does not work for these 2 Auto Power options as well.  A Genos owner said that he fixed this issue by removing the USB stick in the front / top USB slot.  I tried his suggestion, but still no luck.

Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
OK Paul

I'll try mine tomorrow with USB stick in the top/front position ,I can't remember if there was  one in TBH,but it definately worked at least 3 times

Regards

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

DavidB

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:47 PM »
Another theory for you...

The standy button doesn't fully power down the keyboard and so after changing these settings you must physically remove the power and reboot.

Worth a try?

Offline zionip

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
Another theory for you...

The standy button doesn't fully power down the keyboard and so after changing these settings you must physically remove the power and reboot.

Worth a try?

Thanks David.  I already tried many times, still same result, these 2 options not working on my Genos from day one.

Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »
Just an update on auto off,my Genos did switch off on auto with a USB stick connected to top/front position

Alan

Offline EileenL

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 02:47:15 PM »
Mine has not worked since doing the OS update.

Offline Kurt

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »
Hello
I have found that Auto power off works if and when the Sub is turned off.

Regards
Kurtso

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 02:24:28 PM »
The OS on my Genos in the UK is version 1.10 and the auto power off still works.
John

Offline dragon

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
Kirtso, I have a non working auto power off Genos, UK, software 1.10. I have tried with the speaker switched off and waited for the keyboard to power off but no joy. Tried all suggested fixes but they have not worked.
Cheers Carol

Offline zionip

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »
Kirtso, I have a non working auto power off Genos, UK, software 1.10. I have tried with the speaker switched off and waited for the keyboard to power off but no joy. Tried all suggested fixes but they have not worked.
Cheers Carol

Hi Carol,

My US Genos is like yours, at firmware revision 1.10, it has its own mind to always stay up, ignores the "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options, with or without front USB drive plugged in, or the GNS-MS01 speaker system powered on or off.

Thanks for your report on this,
Paul

Offline StuartR

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:41 PM »
Hi Carol,

My US Genos is like yours, at firmware revision 1.10, it has its own mind to always stay up, ignores the "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" options, with or without front USB drive plugged in, or the GNS-MS01 speaker system powered on or off.

Thanks for your report on this,
Paul

Mine is totally non functional as well.

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »
Please forgive me is this is a silly question.

But isn't it better to completely disable these Auto Power Off, and Auto.Power Saving as Paul has suggested or prefers to do.?

Is it very complicated to just push a button in order to switch off the instrument.?
For the young members who may be participating here, there was a time, not very long ago, when one had to get up everytime one needed to change the TV channels.
And everybody managed just fine.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:42:54 PM by Pianoman »

Offline dragon

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2017, 11:19:58 PM »
Pianoman, I find the problem is that if I was to sell the Genos I would have to say that something does not work. It is mentioned in the instruction book that this does work, therefore my product is sub standard. If Yamaha does not sort this out fairly quickly I may return my Genos to the seller. Everything on the Tyros 5 that I gave in part exchange, worked, if it hadn't they might have decreased the part exchange price. Hopefully there will be a fix from Yamaha fairly soon.
Cheers Carol

Offline zionip

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 12:37:42 AM »
Pianoman, I find the problem is that if I was to sell the Genos I would have to say that something does not work. It is mentioned in the instruction book that this does work, therefore my product is sub standard. If Yamaha does not sort this out fairly quickly I may return my Genos to the seller. Everything on the Tyros 5 that I gave in part exchange, worked, if it hadn't they might have decreased the part exchange price. Hopefully there will be a fix from Yamaha fairly soon.
Cheers Carol

Hi Carol,

Your concept on this topic is very interesting.  Thanks for letting us know.

I would consider "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" just two nice to have, non critical features of Genos.

I have never thought of any Genos owners who would consider returning Genos to the sellers / stores for the reason that these features do not work on these Genos, with the assumption that these features not working will decrease the trade in values of Genos.  This concept is completely new to me. :)

I consider the missing touch support for external touch display on Genos an important omission of feature, but I have not thought about returning Genos due to the lack of this feature.  I choose to discuss with other Genos owners on this topic, call Yamaha customer support, and will spend more time in the future to see if we can influence Yamaha to add this feature through future Genos firmware releases.

Yamaha Genos design team removed too many live performance related buttons from Genos, previously simply one button click on Tyros models now sometimes requires several touches on various levels of screen menus, a bit clumsy for gigging musicians.  However, there is nothing Yamaha can do on this first generation of Genos to bring back the missing buttons.  I have to choose to live with the current panel control design of Genos in order to appreciate some of the more important enhancements Yamaha has brought into Genos, like better, more usable sounds, drums, and styles.

I tend to agree that I do not and will not depend on these Auto Power features, and will disable them even if Yamaha fixes them in the future.  Like Pianoman, I prefer manually powering my arrangers / synths on or off.  Gigging musicians may even find these Auto Power features anti-productive on stage and have them permanently disabled.

I respect your opinion, and do not want to argue with you on this topic, which I started for fact finding only.  We are blessed to have different ideas and options.

Thanks again,
Paul

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »
You're absolutely right Paul.

I wouldn't want to gig with this Auto power saving and Auto shut down function on.

It would be the first thing I would disable.

It would be most embarrassing, to be performing and then while in the middle of a song, having this thing shut down by itself.
That would make a performer look like Milli Vanilli.

Especially with the kinds of crowds who always want to believe that something is not kosher.

The "No way can this guy play that good, there must be a trick somewhere" crowd.

I deal with these kinds of people everyday. They appear out of nowhere and suddenly put their hands on the keyboard, to see if the sound matches what they are hearing.

They come and touch the left hand voice, which I always keep at a low volume, between 10 and 20.
My mixer and mic stand blocks them from touching the right side.

Upon hearing almost no sound, they would turn to each other and say, "see what I told you, it's all playback music, the keyboard has no sound."

Nope, it would not break my heart terribly if this function were not to exist.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 01:45:52 AM by Pianoman »

Offline dragon

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 09:23:01 AM »
I think that my point may not have been made correctly. If I buy a car and that car comes with a radio, as the specs suggested, then I would expect the radio to work. If the radio was not in the specs then it would not matter. If I part exchange the car or sell it privately I would have to declare that the radio does not work.I have already contacted Yamaha via my dealer to ask about the non working feature.
On the Tyros5 the switching off feature could be disabled so would not effect a working musician, and it is supposed to be able to be disabled on the Genos. I am a home player and found it useful as a power saving feature when I am multi tasking in the home. I realise that it is a small omission and hope a firmware update fixes it.
When all is said and done, Genos is not working as the instruction book says it should be.
When I traded in my Tyros 5 I was asked what condition it was in, and the same will happen when I trade in my Genos. If it is a hardware problem and not a software problem then I would rather give my Genos back for a refund and rebuy when the problem has been fixed or have the Genos repaired in my home. (Tyros4 had a problem when I bought it new and had to be repaired in my home).
There are too many of us reporting this problem and not all Genos owners are members of a forum, so many others may have this problem. I just want Genos to do what it says on the tin.

I love this forum and all the discussions and rarely take part in them. I too have found changes and omissions on the Genos that have not suited me but have found workarounds. However, having a broken feature is another thing.
With respect to all your opinions,
Cheers Carol

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 11:30:20 AM »
Hello Carol.

I see your point of view there.
And explained in that  way, you are, of course, very right.

My point of view is that, as a live performer, this function is either of no use, or actually detrimental, for the reasons I have mentioned in my other posts above.

So we are, basically, talking about the same thing, but from different approaches.

In your case, the point is about a function that has been advertised as existing on a keyboard, but in fact does not work. And you're absolutely right to be concerned about it.

In my case, it is about the usefulness of having such a function in the first place, which I consider to be just a gimmick, when one can just press the power button to switch the instrument off.

We humans are getting lazier with each passing year.

We want cars that drive themselves while we sit in the back and read a newspaper.

Cars that slam on the brakes for us, when we can just push the brake pedal ourselves.

Midi files that play songs for us, when people can just spend 15 minutes learning a song and play it themselves.

There used to be such joy and pride in learning and playing a song, then interpreting it in any way you please.

Just like the joy we felt as children, after having successfully assembled our Lego toys.

But i see your point, and agree with you that you have a right to complain about a feature that is supposed to work, but does not.

I have read in this forum and others, and in online reviews as well, that Yamaha was forced to release the Genos too soon.

Before the development of some advertised features was completed.
After all kinds of information leaks.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:59:08 AM by Pianoman »

keynote

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
Hello everyone. I purchased my Genos about 2 weeks ago. I live in the U.S. so my Genos has the 120 Volt/60 Hz power connector. I noticed after updating my Genos OS to version 1.10 that the Auto Power Off feature no longer worked like some of you have also experienced. Now the good news, at least in my case, is that the Auto Power Off feature now works again and I wanted to relay what could end up being a solution for other people who have experienced the same problem.

I had enabled the Wireless LAN feature on my Genos even though I don't have an iOS device. I discovered after reading through the manual that iOS is the only platform supported even though Android is by far the most used platform in the world by comparison. But that's another story for another day. I read through this thread over the course of the last few days and I noticed a lot of different things were being tried but without success. I decided to disable the wireless LAN connection on my Genos and when I did that I noticed the Auto Power Off feature now works again. I have it set to 30 minutes for Auto Power Off and 5 minutes for dimming the Sub display.

I'm not sure if it will work for other people but I thought I should at least post my result to let you know I found a fix, at least in my case anyway. When the Wireless LAN is connected to a router there is of course a wireless signal that invariably fluctuates on the Genos. That little bit of 'activity' could be enough to interrupt the power off feature. Just a theory of course but it worked for me since that is the only thing I did different i.e. disabling the LAN connection which made it work again.

If other people experience the problem when the wireless LAN was not connected in the first place then the answer lies somewhere else. One other thing you might try. Make sure all the cables hooked up to the Genos are properly inserted in the correct place. In other words, where they belong and properly secured. Oh, by the way, I was one of the original members of PSR Tutorial back in the day but it's been a while since I have posted here. I had lost my login information and I no longer had the email account I used when I originally signed up. I tried to sign up again about a year ago but a window popped up saying the email address I was using could be spam related and I was denied. When I signed up again today everything went smoothly. To make a long story short... it's good to be back. :)

Mike

Offline alans

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »
Hi Mike

Thats certainly interesting,just one thing,have you  tried this repeatedly or just the one time,it could be a fluke ,my UK 240v Genos works ,with LAN connected,and never yet failed, my Genos is on v 1.10

Give it another go if poss,this mày be the answer to the problem, although I believe Yamaha have been informed of this problem, so maybe it will be put right in the next firmware revision.

I am relatively new here but welcome back from me.

Alan

keynote

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »
Hi Alan. Yes, it continues to work okay when the wireless LAN is disabled. Funny thing is I noticed just today that the wireless LAN somehow reconnected itself to my router after I disabled it and once again the Auto Power Off feature would not work. I once again disabled the wireless LAN connection and now the Auto Power Off feature is working again. I'm not sure how it reconnected itself. I have a secure connection on my router and I would normally have to enter my password to reconnect. It's very interesting you say you have the wireless LAN connected yet your Auto Power Off feature still works. I don't know if it's just a U.S. problem or not regarding the wireless LAN. Hopefully the good folks at Yamaha Japan will be able find a permanent solution in the next firmware revision. Cheers.

Mike

Offline zionip

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 03:35:28 AM »
Hi Alan. Yes, it continues to work okay when the wireless LAN is disabled. Funny thing is I noticed just today that the wireless LAN somehow reconnected itself to my router after I disabled it and once again the Auto Power Off feature would not work. I once again disabled the wireless LAN connection and now the Auto Power Off feature is working again. I'm not sure how it reconnected itself. I have a secure connection on my router and I would normally have to enter my password to reconnect. It's very interesting you say you have the wireless LAN connected yet your Auto Power Off feature still works. I don't know if it's just a U.S. problem or not regarding the wireless LAN. Hopefully the good folks at Yamaha Japan will be able find a permanent solution in the next firmware revision. Cheers.

Mike

Hi Mike,

My U.S. version of Genos at firmware 1.10 continues to ignore the "Auto Power Saving" and "Auto Power Off" settings and stays up even when I executed all the advice from our fellow members to make sure:

1.  wireless LAN disabled,
2.  the GNS-MS01 speaker system turned off,
3.  no front USB stick plugged in.

I followed your suggestion to disable wireless LAN by "Initialize" it so it forgot about all the previous wireless LAN configuration.  Then I rebooted Genos to make sure that it remembered the disabled wireless LAN setting.  It did not try to reconnect because it did not retain any previous wireless LAN configuration settings.  With the following settings, my US Genos continues to stay up:

Auto Power Saving    5 minutes
Auto Power Off         30 minutes

Thanks,
Paul