Author Topic: Genos or not?  (Read 9628 times)

Offline Ingar

Genos or not?
« on: December 23, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »
I'm sitting here wondering if I'm going to buy Genos or not. On my Tyros 5 it is stored 700 reg/songs with attached lyrics, and I'm afraid that it is a big job of getting everything done and up and go on Genos. Should I be worried?

Regards Ingar

Offline zionip

Re: Genos or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 03:26:07 AM »
Hi Ingar,

It really depends on your 'technical' skills and understanding of these keyboards and computer in general, and you desire and determination to adapt to the new instrument.  Most of the previous owners of Tyros 5 like the upgrade in voices and reworked styles on Genos and think that it is a worthwhile upgrade.  It usually took them a few days to a couple of weeks to transition from their previous keyboards to Genos.  If you are still very satisfied with your Tyros 5, then perhaps you can wait until the release of Genos 2 to upgrade.

I did not own a Tyros before, so I did not have any compatibility burdens on Genos - I enjoy learning new features and usage of Genos, and playing music with it.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:36:43 AM »
The text files could be a problem. I have to redo my 1400 files as the Genos uses completely different fonts from the Tyros.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

lacobo

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 06:23:07 AM »
I have to redo my 1400 files as the Genos uses completely different fonts from the Tyros.

That's strange. My text files are formatted just as the T5. Didn't notice any difference.

Bert
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 06:24:42 AM by lacobo »

Rogthedodge

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
Hi I purchased a Genos had it for a couple of weeks and it’s gone back and I’ve reverted to my Tyros 5. I’m well into retirement like to play all sorts of music, create my own arrangements but never tinker with the individual sounds. Occasionally like to write my own music. I never “gig” and only play for my own amusement at home. I was disappointed with the overall sound delivered by the speakers supplied with the Genos, it sounded tinny and needed the bass up to maximum to get anything reasonable. I found some of the sounds , like piano for example, harsh. I did struggle with the different operating style of the Genos and it was like starting all over again. So for me who realistically wants mostly to play the music it was back to my Tyros 5/76 which I really like and ticks all the boxes for me.
Regards
Rog
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:22:08 PM by Rogthedodge »

Spirit of the old South

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
Hi I purchased a Genos had it for a couple of weeks and it’s gone back and I’ve reverted to my Tyros 5. I’m well into retirement like to play all sorts of music, create my own arrangements but never tinker with the individual sounds. Occasionally like to write my own music. I never “gig” and only play for my own amusement at home. I was disappointed with the overall sound delivered by the speakers supplied with the Genos, it sounded tinny and needed the bass up to maximum to get anything reasonable. I found some of the sounds , like piano for example, harsh. I did struggle with the different operating style of the Genos and it was like starting all over again. So for me who realistically wants mostly to play the music it was back to my Tyros 5/76 which I really like and ticks all the boxes for me.
Regards
Rog

Strange, my experience sound-wise is exactly the opposite from what you describe
Even after the few days i now own the Genos, i think the interface it-selves is very much the same as in the Tyros5.
Sure everything has another place now, but it works exactly in the same way as before. it was a matter of hours for me to find my way around.

And best of all, my USB stick with my Tyros5 setups and styles works just flawlessly.

i just love my new dream keyboard.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:21:58 PM »
Yes I also found the sound amazing and OTS is better balanced to. The Genos speakers work very well. You do have to make sure the balance knob at the back of the woofer is set to full on. My main volume is set to around half way and bass the same and gives me all the volume I nead at home.

Offline Bill

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
The text files could be a problem. I have to redo my 1400 files as the Genos uses completely different fonts from the Tyros.

Fred

Hi Fred

All of the text files that you provided some time ago work very well.
Just make sure you set your default Text size the text viewer Menu.

PS    Don't forget to get around to change your profile to show your Genos

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline zionip

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
Regards
Rog

Hi Rog,

I am glad that you tried Genos, but saved a big chunk of money in the end by returning it.

Your experience was based on the performance of Genos with the GNS-MS01 2.1 speaker system.  At first, I felt that the GNS-MS01 speakers sounded very 'weak' and not impressive.  However, when I connected the main ouputs of Genos to external speakers such as a pair of very old Yamaha MS202ii, or HS8 studio monitors, the Genos sounded a whole lot better - I could hear very good stereo separation, and great instrument definition, as if a band was playing live in front of me.

Lately as I learned more about this keyboard, I found that the output level of the compressor of Genos by default is very conservative 62, whereas the maximum output level can be 120.  Once I set it up to 100, the Genos speakers started to sound very loud, punchy, and clear, like a much upgraded speaker system for Genos.  You can see that thread of discussion here:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41795.msg329890.html#msg329890

I did not own a Tyros 5, so I could not compare Tyros 5 and Genos sound quality.  I do own a PSR-S970, which sounds great in audio quality when connected to external speakers.  However, the voice and style quality of Genos is much better than the S970 even with identical voices and styles.  Both the S970 and Genos allows voice and style expansion, but Genos has 1.8GB versus S970's 512MB built-in flash for expansion, allowing Genos to install a lot more voice and style expansion packs.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:11 PM »
Hi Paul

I can endorse everything you about the Genos GNS MS01s.
When I got my Genos I was playing it through Yamaha HS5s,but was not really happy with sound quality,as I remember you and others saying they lacked bass,so I bought the MS01s and altered the Master settings in the Mixer,now I am much happier with the sound output.

It really does pay to have an understanding of the Genos settings to get decent sound quality and output.

I think maybe some people are acting a little hasty in returning their keyboards,but that is a matter for them.

Best wishes

Alan  😁😁

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:28:17 PM by alans »
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Rogthedodge

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
My issues were not only related to the keyboard sounds. I read the dots so need to have the sheets where I can see them clearly and the position was too far back and low. I did purchase a music stand from a company in Germany which sorted the sheet music position for height and reach but meant I could not see the touch screen to use it. The angle of the touch screen was too shallow and needed to be more upright, but I couldn’t change that. The Genos did have a number of good points but this time did not work for me.
Regards
Rog

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
All of the text files that you provided some time ago work very well.
Just make sure you set your default Text size the text viewer Menu.

The text files were designed for the T4's Proportional Medium font, and displayed well there. By "well" I mean they filled the screen and were easily read by the audience.

The same font on the Genos is too small. This is partly because the Genos has a border around the text file display which detracts significantly from the readability of the words.

To make the lyrics readable I've had to move up to the Proportional Large font. This reduces the number of lines that are available, and the number of characters per line. Hence the need to redo all the files. It's either that or stop performing, which seems to be a choice Yamaha shouldn't be imposing on its customers.

Yamaha's redo of its text display caused me a lot of work, and I don't see any value in the redesign. It's also been a long-standing complaint of mine that the keyboard should remember my preferred font choice. Anyone who uses text files designs them for a particular font. Why that can't be remembered is annoying. If it can remember the preferred background, why can't it remember the preferred font?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 05:42:43 PM »
Fred, why not just output the display to a flatscreen video monitor, which even with your aging eyes, make it very readable. I did this for a fellow entertainer and made a console for him similar to mine, to which he attached the monitor with Industrial Strength Velcro. Works like a charm. He used a 12-inch monitor for the job.

Good luck, and don't give up performing until someone tells you you are dead! ;)

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline zionip

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »
I read the dots so need to have the sheets where I can see them clearly and the position was too far back and low.

Hi Rog,

What did you mean by "the dots"?  Did you refer to the bouncing red ball/dot on the Score screen like the following?

Or, did you refer to the bouncing tempo dots on the main screen?

At home, I use external monitor to give my eyes some relief:

Thanks,
Paul

Offline alans

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
Hi Paul

When people say "reading the dots" most mean reading musical notation

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000, Tyros5 and Genos

Offline zionip

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 06:09:10 PM »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your comment.

I re-read Rog's post and found that he was complaining about 2 things:

1.  The music stand of Genos being too far back and too low, 3rd party music stand solved the distance and height problem but blocked the Genos screen
2.  The touchscreen of Genos is too flat and not adjustable in angle

This all points to some need for help in eyesight.  My resolution is the use of an external monitor for enlarged duplicate display of Genos touchscreen, and a gooseneck clamp mount to put the iPad Pro 12.9 as score reader close to my face:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9KQSF6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks,
Paul

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
Fred, why not just output the display to a flatscreen video monitor, which even with your aging eyes, make it very readable. I did this for a fellow entertainer and made a console for him similar to mine, to which he attached the monitor with Industrial Strength Velcro. Works like a charm. He used a 12-inch monitor for the job.

Good luck, and don't give up performing until someone tells you you are dead! ;)

Merry Christmas,

Gary 8)

I reserve the video out port to display lyrics (via text files) for the audience. So it’s not available to me. The other advantage of doing my own sheet music us that I can create it specially for the way I play the song (chords I can handle, syncopation, etc.). It’s not the most common way of doing things, but it works for me.

Merry Christmas,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
I guess I've been fortunate in that those chords and lyrics all come out of my head - no need to look at the screen other than to select the next song from the MDF or registrations.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline zionip

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
I reserve the video out port to display lyrics (via text files) for the audience. So it’s not available to me. The other advantage of doing my own sheet music us that I can create it specially for the way I play the song (chords I can handle, syncopation, etc.). It’s not the most common way of doing things, but it works for me.

Merry Christmas,
Fred

Hi Fred,

The video out of the USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI display adapter can be connected to a HDMI splitter / swtich with multiple video outputs so you can have one external monitor for yourself, a second one or more monitors / TV / projection display for your audience.

I once set up a temporary dual external displays for Genos to test some external display issue for a fellow Genos owner:

Merry Christmas to you too, Fred.

Paul

Offline Ingar

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 09:07:54 PM »
Yes I also found the sound amazing and OTS is better balanced to. The Genos speakers work very well. You do have to make sure the balance knob at the back of the woofer is set to full on. My main volume is set to around half way and bass the same and gives me all the volume I nead at home.

Today, I play at the elderly and nursing homes for about 50 people with my Tyros 5, and only use Tyros's own speakers. They give me all the "power" I need, the volume control behind the subvoffer is on max and volume button on the panel approx. at 12 o'clock. I have placed the loudspeakers in the inner holes.

EQ, after tips from Christian, I have set:
EQ1 08
EQ2 08
EQ3 01
EQ4 01
EQ5 01

Tresholth +0
Ratio offset +1
Gain Offset +1

Very good rich and full body sound ..