Author Topic: Revo drums (general interest)  (Read 7196 times)

Offline pjd

Revo drums (general interest)
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:00:07 PM »
Hi --

Since we're all learning about Genos and Revo drums, I wrote up some info about Yamaha's hi-hat enhancements in the Revo drum kits:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

Although it gets into drum programming just a little, the info may be of interest to the broader community, especially people who are still on the fence about buying Genos. That's why I'm posting the link here instead of the Revo board.

In addition to changes for Revo, Yamaha have made widespread use of the new Mega Voices in the new and re-worked styles. They put quite a bit of effort into enhancing the realism of the styles with detailed instruments and articulations.

Enjoy life, play -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Tri Ngo, maartenb, StuartR

Marcus

Re: Revo drums (general interest)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:38:18 PM »
Hi Paul

Excellent informative article. One to bookmark for sure. Can't wait to get my Genos next month to explore myself.

Thanks,
Marcus

The following users thanked this post: Tri Ngo, pjd

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »
Hi --

Since we're all learning about Genos and Revo drums, I wrote up some info about Yamaha's hi-hat enhancements in the Revo drum kits:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

Although it gets into drum programming just a little, the info may be of interest to the broader community, especially people who are still on the fence about buying Genos. That's why I'm posting the link here instead of the Revo board.

In addition to changes for Revo, Yamaha have made widespread use of the new Mega Voices in the new and re-worked styles. They put quite a bit of effort into enhancing the realism of the styles with detailed instruments and articulations.

Enjoy life, play -- pj

As a former drummer I can confirm what you explain about the way the hi-hat is played. I had wondered what Yamaha had done with their new Revo drums.

Thanks for the detailed look!

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
Paul

Thanks for a most interesting article...

As I read the article, one of your points are, that conversion can be either quick and dirty, giving acceptable result at least for the average user; or conversion can be a manual trial and error process, demanding some drumming skills and good ears.

If you come up with a one-to-one conversion scheme I will gladly incorporate it into my conversion software...  ;)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
Wow! I had no idea Genos technology had advanced so far in the drum area, compared to the T5 and earlier. I can hardly wait for Yamaha to finally bless Canada with the Genos, in the next year or so  >:(.

I'm so glad that Yamaha Canada management is already enjoying their new Genos keyboards, while paying customers must wait until midwinter '18!!

Meanwhile, thanks for the report, PJ.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Hi folks --

Thanks for the kind words! I had a lot of fun diving into this area and learning more about hi-hats.

Hi, Lee. I'm waiting on the Genos train myself even tho' I'm across the border in the 48. Although Heratch is on the road, I don't seen much push until NAMM'18 and maybe the next boatload in January.

Y'all take care -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Hi Jørgen --

Thanks for keeping an eye on this.

I think there is a quick and dirty mapping for the rock/pop-oriented drum kits. The electronic and brush kits have a whole other thing going on.

Pretty much, all of those "-1" notes have to map to the three MIDI Standard Kit hi-hat notes, e.g.,

Note# Note  RockDrumKit                 Standard Kit
----- ----  -----------------------     ------------
   13 C#-1  Hi-Hat Tip 00 RD        --> HH Closed
   14 D-1   Hi-Hat Edge 00 RD       --> HH Closed
   15 D#-1  Hi-Hat Tip 10 RD        --> HH Closed
   16 E-1   Hi-Hat Edge 10 RD       --> HH Closed
   17 F-1   Hi-Hat Edge 25 RD       --> HH Open

I'm not quite sure where to draw the line between HH Closed and HH Open. Is 25 the appropriate point? 50? Surely, 75 is HH Open because Yamaha assigns the "Hi-Hat Edge 75 PD" to the Standard Kit HH Open note (MIDI note number 46).

Alternate
Note# Note  StdKit     RockDrumKit                Group
----- ----  ---------  -----------------------  ---------
   42 F#1   HH Closed  Hi-Hat Edge 00 RD            1
   44 G#1   HH Pedal   Hi-Hat Pedal Closed RD       1
   46 A#1   HH Open    Hi-Hat Edge 75 RD            1

The HH pedal splash could be assigned to a splash cymbal maybe?

This is where I wish I had a Genos at hand. I need to hear to the individual Revo HH voices. Sigh.

Thanks for listening to my stream of consciousness. I value your point of view. I'll bet that Peter and Drake have some real world experience to offer.

-- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:40:38 PM »
Just load the style files into StyleMagic and go to the Drum Kit Editor and listen to what's being played, then go to Channels Manager and GLOBALLY deleted the offending notes.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:04 PM »
Just load the style files into StyleMagic and go to the Drum Kit Editor and listen to what's being played, then go to Channels Manager and GLOBALLY deleted the offending notes.

Hi Joe --

Sounds like a good idea, but....

In some styles, like the Mr. Soul style, the entire hi-hat part consists of "-1" notes. The notes need to be remapped or the hi-hats totally disappear when they are deleted.  :o

Jørgen's tool scans for the "-1" notes and sets their velocity to zero. This gets the same effect as deletion, but leaves the notes in place so they can be remapped. (The original velocity info is lost, tho'.)

BTW, we can delete the notes using MixMaster (for free  ;) ).

We haven't gotten to the issue of remapping all of the new Mega Voice parts (yet). Fun, fun, fun.

Hey, hey, take care -- pj

Update alert: Check out Jørgen's update to the Revo Cleaner, which now saves note info in a CSV file. Also, at the rate Drake is converting styles, there won't be anything left to do before long.  :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:45:28 PM by pjd »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
Jørgen's tool scans for the "-1" notes and sets their velocity to zero. This gets the same effect as deletion, but leaves the notes in place so they can be remapped. (The original velocity info is lost, tho'.)

Hi Revo Drummers!

New version of "Revo Drum Cleaner" at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/rdclean/index.htm

Now: "Cleaned drums original note data are automatically saved in a csv file in the same folder as the cleaned style file."

Enjoy!

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »
Hi

Revo Drum Cleaner software ver. 2.0 - Now with built in Remap Editor...

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/rdclean/index.htm

Merry Xmas

Jørgen
- since 1999