Author Topic: Genos 2 and Forscore - What should I do?  (Read 494 times)

Offline AndyT

Genos 2 and Forscore - What should I do?
« on: March 20, 2024, 04:54:24 PM »
Hi,

I think that I have read every article about Forscore on this forum. I used to have a Tyros 5 and the Midi Template would enable me to use a camera adapter and USB printer cable to change the registrations. Example post https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,58771.0.html. It all worked very well.

Now I have a Genos 2 and I have read threads saying that Yamaha have changed the midi implementation.
I have tried the Forscore learning mode and it seems to be able to see the OPEN and SEND commands.
Midi Wrench on the ipad shows that it can "hear" the notes being played, but pressing notes on the ipad does nothing.

Before I made loads of changes, the Transmit or Receive monitor was flashing lights on Port B/USB 2. I have tried to create a new template where the port 1/port 2 channels are the other way around.

I am lost and have no hair left. I have spent hours on this and not sure I understand what the problem is.

Do you think that  the midi template needs updating? 
Do you think the camera adaptor should still work?
Would it be much simpler to buy a Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter?

The only reservations I have there is that Forscore help says that they don't support the bluetooth adapter in their documentation - all to do with midi network vs standard network. Songbook + says to use the adapter, but then I have read threads that say that only Yamaha apps are now supported.

Any thoughts/instructions would be sincerely appreciated.

- Andy

Offline frozzers

Re: Genos 2 and Forscore - What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 10:12:21 PM »
Andy

Have you've tried Option 2 from overover's post (link below) and my subsequent instructions below that?

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57366.msg518628.html#msg518628

Cheers

Chris

The following users thanked this post: AndyT

Offline reya

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 12:53:37 PM »
Hi Andy

Have you considered switching over to another app such as MobileSheets or Songbook+ that support the easy way of linking scores to registrations on Genos.
This easy way of linking, which was introduced in 2018 with the arrival of Genos1, literary happens at the push of a button. Super easy.

Just a thought
Best regards
Rudy
Genos 1, PSR SX900, Roland PK6, Ketron SD1000
MSI Cubi 5 mini pc with IIyama prolite 24" touchscreen, MobileSheets

Offline AndyT

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 10:27:37 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies and ideas.

I had seen the other post and thought that I had followed the instructions pretty well, but I am going to have one more go and then I think that mobile sheets looks fairly good. I will have a read through of the quick start guide. It looks very similar to forscore.

Will get back to you when I have tried again as I have surgery this weekend.

- Andy

Offline reya

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:35:28 AM »
All the best with the surgery Andy !

If forgot to mention that with the easy link feature in Genos, the links works both ways. So loading a reg file, will also load the corresponding music sheet on the tablet !!

I read somewhere that in Genos 2 there currently seem to be some issues when using the Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter.... So I would not go for that, at the moment ...

Rudy

Offline AndyT

Re: Genos 2 and Forscore - What should I do - MobileSheets Problem Now
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 10:28:46 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the help and advice. Thanks for the kind thoughts - 2 more surgeries to follow. Anyway, everyone seemed to be very positive about Mobilesheets.

I looked at MobileSheets Lite and managed to get a song to select a registration over WiFi.
I tried to add some buttons to the score for different midi commands and then it broke  :-\

What have I done?
     I reinstalled MobileSheets Lite on the iPad
     On Genos, I checked that the Midi Template - All Parts was selected

On Mobile Sheets
   Midi Settings
     Set Midi Device Genos (3rd option down)
   Click WiFi and set to Genos IP - 192.xxx.xx.xxx as shown in the Genos WiFi Detail
 The Port is preset to 5004 (worked okay on the first day)

Select sheet music
 Click pen icon: 4th Icon along from left at the top
 Click Midi
 Click ChainLink
Select a registration on the Genos
 Link Request Failed

I have tried configuring the Midi Connection in the WiFi menu on MobileSheets - but to no effect
      Ticked only Input Port,  Ticked only Output Port, Ticked both ports

Reinstalled, restarted Genos. Any advice would really be appreciated.

- Andy

Offline reya

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2024, 06:49:39 PM »
Hello Andy,

You seem to have clicked the chain icon before selecting a registration file on Genos ??

Below is a step by step guide I made a while back about using MobileSheets with Genos. Genos 2 should work the same way

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MD1Exfj9N1z_-UJPYLqXdAb0DbnqXfWw/view

I would suggest, if possible, to try  making the connection using a wired link first (usb cable). And after you got that working and you linked some registration files to scores, then move over to the wifi connection.
Port 5004 for wifi is fine.

Rudy

Offline AndyT

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:00:42 AM »
Hello Rudy,

Thank you ever so much for your help - you were spot on. I assumed that registration button 1 would default and it wasn't. You have produced a very well written and easy to follow guide!!

Do you have any advice on setting up the buttons with style commands. So for example, I might have a ballad and I would like to have some buttons mapped to styles (rather than registrations) for Epic Ballad. Power Ballad, Easy Listening etc. I know that I could have a combined registration, but just wondering.

Thanks again to you and the others for the help.

- Andy

Offline reya

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 01:54:57 PM »
Glad you like the guide !

No experience with buttons and/or style commands so I cannot help you there.
I always use registrations to change things in the keyboard while playing. To me they offer the added value of being able to trigger changes with a footpedal ...

Rudy