Author Topic: Original Tyros requires upgrade using USB MIDI and windows 10 help please.  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Diguelo

Ive gone and bought myself a fully functioning Tyros 1. The only issue with it for now is the Operating System is as it came out of the factory Version 1.0. I need to update the Firmware in it to the latest 1.4 version using the USB lead.
Ive downloaded the files from Yamaha for the upgrade and also the one for the Windows 10 specific version of the Yamaha USB MIDI driver which is fully installed and visible in SOund section of Device Manager.
The keyboard is 100% functioning with nothing missing, but I have a virtual floppy system I want to install but before that I want to backup the HDD in the keyboard and renew it. Currently there is no USB slot in the keyboard other than the Printer type cable A-B for the USB functionality once I get that working. The Computer Pings when the Tyros is turned on letting me know its available and it shows in the system devices as available.
Ive run the installer and it gets as far as the MIDI transfer, requires the ports to be set up and gives me TYROS-1 on the IN port and Microsoft Wave, TYROS-1 and TYROS-2 on the OUT port options. Doesnt matter whats selected it locks up (Not responding) in Task Manager unless its so slow it needs leaving overnight to work out if it wants to work.

Any and all help to get this upgrade installed in the machine will be gratefully received. I realise its an old keyboard but I have thousands of TYROS 1 Songs, styles and voices from my past I want to hear and play with again.

Offline Divemaster

Hi Diguelo.

Tyros 1...great keyboard, and I had mine for many years. Very easy to sort this out but you need to follow the steps I will give you.
Allow a couple of hours. OK.... Here we go.

My advice to you is simple.
Firstly, don't bother with the virtual floppy drive 'conversion' because it can give you a LOT more hassle than just using the Onboard Floppy Disc player.

Secondly. Take the 8 screws out of the long plate on the base of your Tyros 1 and remove the hard drive. These are just basic laptop sized hard drives, and very easy to upgrade or replace. It's a 5 minute job.... Really easy.

Thirdly. Now do a Full Factory Reset from the Utilities section of your Tyros. Turn it off once you've done this.

Now making sure you have the necessary update to O/s 1.4 install it to your Tyros following Yamaha instructions.
IMPORTANT..... DO THIS WITH FLOPPY DISCS... NOT   via the Host Port. You will need 14 blank, formatted discs. Mark them 1 thru 14 as they MUST be installed in order.
Format them on the Tyros, and then download the update files onto them. Simply follow the Yamaha instructions.

You should then have your Tyros 1 in the same  state it would have been when it was new, and with Version 1.4 installed.

Do that first, and then come back to us

By the way you DO NOT need a hard drive in the Tyros to use it. The hard drive would have been an addition by the previous owner. It's not part of the original system.

You can replace it later, and you may want to put a bigger one in, as it will give you more storage, but for now, follow the steps above.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 02:28:05 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X
I also play a Yamaha PSR-SX700
I also own a Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner

Offline Diguelo

Thats sounding pretty good. I was kind of wondering about the Virtual disk unit although it works on Windows 10 and is a Legacy device.

Ok 14 disk method please would you explain in detail how I get a 5MB file to split into 14 files or do i use the Initial package to export it onto the disks as expansion parts. ??

Doing that has been a while last time i recall doing it was back in WIndows XP days

As for the Hard drive, if Ive read the update right it gives access to the HDD through USB so it can talk (Albeit very slowly) to the PC, however it does have other updates I want as well .

Offline Divemaster

Hi again Diguelo

It's a while since I did this but fortunately I saved the instructions.

As far as I can recall, trying to do the upgrade via the host AtoB socket was not recommended by Yamaha.
You need the download for FLOPPY disc installation.... Bear in mind that this is for a 32bit Windows use... So you'll need an older version of Windows to use it.

Before you start, you need to arm yourself with 14 Floppy Discs, and obviously a floppy to usb disc drive (portable ones on Ebay about £8) , unless your PC still has a floppy drive (Usually the A drive).

Download the upgrade to your PC. Extract it from the zip file to a newly created folder on your desktop. Call it whatever you like. When extracted, within the folder you will see an instruction file, and the upgrade files. READ THE INSTRUCTION FILE.

Format all your discs IN THE TYROS, using the disc utility/disc format facility. DO NOT format them on the PC. That's important.

Now.... Download each file from your PC folder to a disc. There is an Install disk, and 13 upgrade discs. If you get any discs that show ANY kind of error message .use a different disc, formatted in the Tyros as before. You don't want issues once you start to install.

So you now have 14 discs with the upgrade.

Go to the Tyros and power it on by HOLDING DOWN the START/STOP key situated in the bottom row of the Style control area and switch the Tyros on. This will take you into the Operating system upgrade screen, and from here, just follow the instructions

Keith
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 09:27:18 PM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X

Offline Divemaster

Just as an update.

You may well find that doing this update is really not worth the hassle.
It was only a firmware update, and my advice would be, if the Tyros is all working fine, don't bother with it
Just do a complete factory reset and start playing from this point. You can put a new hard drive in easily..

I'm lucky in that I have older pc's to work with, but you may not have.
Korg  PA5X

Offline Diguelo

Thanks for the reply, however where do I download a working 1.4 image set of these floppy disks, ive got about 40 lying around along with a few A drives.

Ive been searching all day for the upgrade on floppy, no luck apart from dead end links. If you could help out with that it would be a help

Offline Divemaster

Hi Diguelo
Yes, this has thrown up an unexpected problem in that the original download from Yamaha to upgrade to V1. 4 on floppy discs appears to have been pulled. As I noted yesterday, it was also intended for  upgrading on a Windows pc with a 32bit system.

I can only suggest.
1. Don't bother with the update  OR
2. Contact Yamaha to see if they can send you a copy of the older Zip file for the update.

You'll see that it is a smaller file which you then unzip and use as per the instructions I've sent you.

***** IF ANYONE HAS THIS ORIGINAL ZIP FILE can they help this guy please. Unfortunately the Zip file shown no longer downloads.

Keith

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 08:01:55 AM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X

Offline Divemaster

Hi Diguelo     Good news.

I have been in touch with Yamaha and I now have the Firmware update to V1.4 version that you need.

I've sent you a PM so when I hear back from you I can send it via email.

i can't post it directly here as the forum doesn't allow the sending of ZIP files.

UPDATE. File now sent to you, and I hope you are able to now update your Tyros. Let us know how you get on.

Keith.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:26:22 AM by Divemaster »
Korg  PA5X

Offline Diguelo

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I have succeeded in upgrading the Tyros 1 to version 1.4.

Offline overover

Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. I have succeeded in upgrading the Tyros 1 to version 1.4.

Thanks for your feedback Diguelo! I wish you lots of fun and joy with your Tyros.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Divemaster

Diguelo and I have been in touch by email, and he now has done this Firmware upgrade.

Should anyone else require the ORIGINAL14 files from Yamaha to upgrade via floppy disc then let me know.
Keith
Korg  PA5X