Author Topic: What specs of the Genos will make their way to the PSR S and E keyboards?  (Read 19475 times)

Offline vbdx66

Hello to all,

Since the Genos is no up and running and speculation has eventually ended, for those who cannot afford it or are long time aficionados of the PSR S and PSR E series, I am wondering which features from the Genos might appear in the “smaller” keyboards.

Here is my bet:

For the PSR S 690/790/990 or whatever these boards will be labelled:
- Revo drums
- Kino strings
- New guitars
- Revamped DSP module
- Of course, some sounds and styles from the Genos (or possibly some completely new styles)

For the PSR E463/EW410 or whatever they will be called:
- More DSP effects to be controlled with the two Live knobs
- More Sweet! and Cool! voices
- At least ONE guitar sound which is not complete trash
- 5 to 10 styles directly adapted from the new Genos styles for SFF1 keyboards

And you Forum users, which features do you think will most probably make their way down from the Genos to the PSR S and E keyboards?

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Offline DerekA

Re: What specs of the Genos will make their way to the PSR S and E keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
- Revo drums
- Kino strings
- New guitars
- Revamped DSP module
- Of course, some sounds and styles from the Genos (or possibly some completely new styles)
Vinciane.

I'm not sure we will see much of that .... my guess would be

Touch screen
10 registration slots per bank
More than 2 assignable knobs
Additional insert DSP blocks
Some voices and styles

Recent history, though, is for the PSR-S series to introduce new functionality that migrates up to TOTL (e.g. assignable knobs, storing DSP parameters in registrations) so perhaps Yamaha will delight us with a surprise or two.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Hello Derek,

I mentioned Revo Drums  because they are more or less replacing the defunct Audio Styles and if Yamaha drops the Audio styles for the successor of the S970 Revo Drums seem to be an obvious replacement.

I also think that Kino Strings have to be one of the PSR S970 new voices because they seem to be one of the star voices on the Genos.

As for "surprises" an arpeggiator for which one could design his own patterns would certainly be a nice addition  8)

I also hope there will be some additions to the PSR E keyboards, like recently the Aux In port and Audio via USB.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
I've said elsewhere that I think they've been a bit mean in terms of genuinely new features on Genos. Sure there are some, but there could have been a lot more. I've considered Genos, but I will probably hold out for the 970 replacement. Who knows, they might rename that line too.

It would be great if some of the Genos / Tyros features did trickle down the line, but I think Yamaha needs to keep some features 'reserved' for the TOTL models - even though the processor in the current S770 / S970 could easily handle the load. Otherwise, who would spend the extra money?

I do agree that a programmable arpeggiator would be a good candidate to introduce - it would just be implemented in software, and would tie in well with the apparent strategy of targetting EDM users.

Offline Patrick

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »
Bonjour Vinciane, oui on peut toujours rêver! I hope to have much more memory for the expansion packs, 2 usb drive and a touch screen; bonne soirée Patrick
 ;)

Offline SciNote

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:44:58 AM »
It's hard to imagine any Genos features making their way directly to the PSR-E series other than just general improvements to the line.  Things I have put in my wish list, such as being able to program the sustain pedal to sustain both the left and right sides of a split keyboard and the ability to store the on/off status of the DSP into a registration.  Other than that, I would expect to see additional sounds, styles, and DSP's, but these would likely occur anyway in the next model, whether the Genos existed or not.  The only thing that might be tied directly to the Genos would be the addition of some sounds taken directly from that keyboard.

Four live-control knobs instead of two would be great, but I doubt we'll see that in the PSR-E line.  Maybe the S, but probably not the E.  It would also be nice to see a dual voice for the left/split side of the keyboard, which I don't think is even in the Genos, right?  I've always wondered why Yamaha stopped that.  It was available in the early 1990's in the PSR-500 and 510, as well as some more obscure models, but starting with the PSR-520, they took out the dual/layer voice for the split voice/left side of the keyboard.  It can definitely be a nice feature to have a higher pitched background voice, such as strings, go along with a lower pitched supporting bass voice.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:51:56 AM »
Like others, think I’ll sit out the Genos and wait for the next PSR upgrade, if it happens.  Hope that’s in 2018.  Don’t care for 78 notes, since 61 is all I’ve ever played, or care to tote around.  Sold my 61-note Tyros 5; but, hanging on to the S970.  Don’t need any new features particularly.  Just prefer improved styles and voices.  Sure wish Yamaha would include a few high-quality choral voices in the PSR line, including some of the scat voices.  Probably won’t happen.  Even toyed with the idea of adding the new Korg Pa 1000, along with the PSR upgrade.  Two second-tier models from two manufacturers might be fun.  Only owned Technics and Yamaha to this point.   

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 05:40:24 PM »
I would hope for a better keybed.  The keybed on my S970 seems similar to a PSR E4XX series for which I paid less than $400.

For me, the keybed on my S970 seems very toylike.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 07:05:22 PM »
I would hope for a better keybed.  The keybed on my S970 seems similar to a PSR E4XX series for which I paid less than $400.

For me, the keybed on my S970 seems very toylike.
Hello Guipic,

If I may ask, which PSR E4xx model are you comparing the keybed of your PSR S970 to?

I had the PSR E413 and found the keybed very bad, whereas I really enjoyed playing the keybed of the PSR E433. I then tried the E 443 and didn’t like its keybed at all.

I agree that the keybed should definitely be better on higher-end keyboards.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Agree on the toy like keybed
At thanksgiving my niece got her young son a Cascio CDP 235 for him to start playing with music teacher lessons once a week. Well at Thanksgiving they wanted to show me the keyboard and after trying the keybed "88" weighted keys; I couldn't believe the quality-weighted piano keys for 449.99 Cascio.
While the weighted keys are not for everybody my point is the quality of the keybed for the price compared to my board.Sound wise cascio its just Ok but otherwise I think Yamaha needs to improve on the toy quality of the more expensive upper keyboard PSR's
Craig
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:27:35 PM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
Yamaha already has several lines of keyboards with piano-style keys, ranging in price from under $200 to over $1000. These include, but are not limited to, the NP line, the P line, the YDP line, and the DGX/YPG line.

The least-expensive model seems to be the NP12, with 61 box-shaped keys, which is currently listed on Amazon at $180.

All of these lines have piano-style (box-shaped) keys, but some are just semi-weighted (I think they're "Graded Soft Touch"?), while others are fully-weighted ("Graded Hammer Scale").

Most of these "piano-centered" lines don't have nearly the number of voices, styles, and other features as the PSR-E and PSR-S arrangers. The DGX/YPG line is the closest to being a "piano-style arranger," but is XGlite-compatible rather than XG-compatible, and can access only the A and B style variations.

Of course, there's also the Clavinova line, which is also a piano-style arranger, and fully XG-compatible, but much more expensive than the DGX/YPG line.

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:30 PM »
I was just surprised at the entry level cascio CDP 235 having a pro feel when against my more expensive Yamaha
The darn thing felt like a piano and had 88 keys to boot !!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:56:37 PM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

edtek

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
I would love to see the Genos Playlist function on PSRs!  Preparing gig lists is a pain for me.  I like to have the regs lined up so I just have to press the next reg.  I tried separate banks but then the regs are in 2 locations and I have to remember to copy changes to both.  Also I'm still hoping for a 76 key option.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 10:31:19 PM »
Hi guys, I can think of several things: 1. that the next arranger has a different name for example: PSR-G (as a diminutive of Genos, but mid-range) 2. Incorporation of the chord sequencer 3. Songbook 4. Recording Audio in high quality Mp3 5. 4 to 6 assignable controls (Drawbar, effects, and styles) 6. Arpeggiator included in the styles, (phrases and patterns programmable in real time) 7. 10 "touch screen adaptable to any environment (light or dark) 8. 16-track midi sequencer + a master track for time and volume control, deep event editing for example: copy of a complete phrase of an orchestra section (orchestral composition or full section of a style) at a certain point in a song.  it's just my two cents.      Greetings     Hans
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:35:28 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Enildo

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
I wanted the "DRUM KIT" function, the option to be able to "SAVE" its "New Battery Kit", after editing, as it has in Genos.

Greetings,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: Stratcat

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
 :)

Hi,

The current s970 already has arpeggios, the audio link, audio wav. recording, EDM (don't use it anyway), microphone usage ,, et al.
Am not that techie oriented and do not dig very deep for voice edits etc.   I love the big screen, not a fan of touch screen
However, the drum kits and the string upgrades would be the ticket for me.   I use the s970 to play out.   The Tyros 5 is the home
arranger. The screen tilts up which is a a big help.  For 88 keys have the dgx650 so not interested in a 76 key arranger.   The genos does not fit into what I already have.
There would be no room for it as would never part with that ty5 which has an internal 500 gb memory and fits nicely into a niche
between 2 shelf units.
I usually jump on upgrades or sincerely hope to obtain one.  However, am passing (but my husband is not laying odds at this time)

cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline PWB

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 09:32:42 PM »
I play a clavinova piano and also a PSR S970 and the biggest problem for me is that I have to use different chord shapes for the two instruments due to the 66 note range of the 970 so my wish list would be for a Genos sized keyboard option. OK I know that I could upgrade to a Tyros or a Genos but this would be a big cost and as I only play at home for my own amusement, is  and in all other respects the 970 suits me fine.

Togge

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:10:47 AM »
My guess is the touch screen, the joystick instead of modualtion wheel and a couple of the sounds.
Minor changes from the 970. Perhaps a new name scheme.

henning-kock

July 24, 2018
Hello,
I am looking for a new 76 key keyboard
like a new upcoming version of EW-410, or Piagero, or a " mini Genos"
Will the be something on the way?
Kind Regards,
Henning Kock
Denmark
www.henning-kock.dk

Offline EileenL

Don't think Genos Lite will have 76 notes it will probably follow the S series

Offline Joe H

I do agree that a programmable arpeggiator would be a good candidate to introduce - it would just be implemented in software, and would tie in well with the apparent strategy of targetting EDM users.

Arpeggios aren't just for EDM.  Many if not most of the drum loops in the arranger are created with arpeggios as well as just about 90% of the style parts.  Our styles are nothing more than recorded arps.  The difference with LIVE arps is that we can get (dynamic) variations by how we finger the keys with our right hand.

The Motif XS and XF arps are very complex and use Mega type Voices with different sounds mapped to certain notes and note velocities to create some very interesting results.  It would be great to have an arp editor and see this kind of arp in an arranger keyboard

Definitely MORE Live Control sliders and/or knobs and FAR MORE capabilities as far as MIDI messages go. And with a Master Fader to control several other faders... assigned with different messages and the ability to set minimum and maximum values for each.

Also a better key-bed would be nice. And has already been suggested... maybe there will be a new 61-key arranger (no speakers) model in-between the PSR S and the Genos with a new name.

8)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:46:37 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Fred Smith

I would love to see the Genos Playlist function on PSRs!  Preparing gig lists is a pain for me.  I like to have the regs lined up so I just have to press the next reg.  I tried separate banks but then the regs are in 2 locations and I have to remember to copy changes to both.  Also I'm still hoping for a 76 key option.

If you want 76 keys, you’ll need to move to the Genos line. Yamaha have settled on a straightforward division of their lines. Clavinova = 88 keys, Genos = 76, PSR = 61.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline vbdx66

July 24, 2018
Hello,
I am looking for a new 76 key keyboard
like a new upcoming version of EW-410, or Piagero, or a " mini Genos"
Will the be something on the way?
Kind Regards,
Henning Kock
Denmark
www.henning-kock.dk

Hi,

The PSR EW410 went out in May this year, so you’ll have to wait for another 2 years to get the replacement.

If you want a pro arranger keyboard with 76 keys but don’t want to pay for a Genos, you could maybe go into a music shop and have a try at the Korg PA4x.

Regards,

Vinciane

henning-kock

August 3, 2018
Hello,
I used to play and bring out to jobs a Yamaha piano P70 and also another keyboard with arranger in it: Wersi Abacus, Wersi Ikaros, Wersi PegasusWing,
and in recent years it was Tyros 1, 2, and 5.
I had to always bring 2 instruments for a gig, and now I bring only one: Yamaha DGX-660 or NP-V80, which have 76 keys for my piano work for dinner music, and almost identical rhythms and sounds for dance music.
What I miss on the DGX-660 and NP-V80 is a rotary control for blending sounds ad rhythms on the fly.
Kind regards
Henning Kock
www.henning-kock.dk
www.steelguitardanmark.dk

Hello to all,

Since the Genos is no up and running and speculation has eventually ended, for those who cannot afford it or are long time aficionados of the PSR S and PSR E series, I am wondering which features from the Genos might appear in the “smaller” keyboards.

Here is my bet:

- Revo drums
- Kino strings
- New guitars
- Revamped DSP module

For the PSR E463/EW410 or whatever they will be called:
- More DSP effects to be controlled with the two Live knobs
- More Sweet! and Cool! voices
- At least ONE guitar sound which is not complete trash
- 5 to 10 styles directly adapted from the new Genos styles for SFF1 keyboards

And you Forum users, which features do you think will most probably make their way down from the Genos to the PSR S and E keyboards?

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

I Think they will also include the gospel and other vocal voices from Tyros4 and maybe some S.Art2 voices
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 02:52:58 PM by rodrigo.b »

beykock

I may hope Yamaha will continue the Tyros brand name and call the S975/S775 successor " New PSR Tyros ".

A 61 key arranger kb with built in speakers and a Tyros4/5 keybed, voices, multipads and some additional " light Genos technology ".

A tiltable, non touch screen maybe ?

The consumer price should be equal to the present PSR S pricing, IMHO.

Wishful thinking, I guess.😉

Babette

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:04:32 PM by beykock »

Foe the Psr E line I would like to see Megavoices. and able to Play SFF2 Styles. And for the Psr S/SX able to save/convert styles to sff1 for older smaller keyboards.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 10:59:13 AM by Keyboard Master »