Author Topic: Can Style Magic tell what key the Style is in ?  (Read 345 times)

Offline rphillipchuk

Can Style Magic tell what key the Style is in ?
« on: April 21, 2024, 09:58:58 PM »
Can Style Magic tell what key the Style is in ?
Yamaha DGX-670 connected to a Yamaha MW12 Mixer connected to a pair of Yamaha MSP10's + Yamaha SW10 Subwoofer using Songbook+.

MacBook Pro 32 Gigs Ram, 1 Terrabyte SSD

www.midisafe.com
www.yamahastylesonly.com

Offline mikf

Re: Can Style Magic tell what key the Style is in ?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 11:03:52 PM »
Why would that matter? The style doesn’t really have a key.
Mike

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 11:08:09 PM »
Hello.

Styles don’t have keys. You can play using any key you want.

Maybe you’re asking about a midi file…

Pedro

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2024, 07:47:27 AM »
In Yamaha terminology, Styles actually have a key. Quote from the user manual:

PLAY ROOT/CHORD
These settings determine the original key of the source pattern (i.e., the key used
when recording the pattern).

These parameters of a style can be displayed for each style in the style creator.

Kurt

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 09:18:11 AM »
PLAY ROOT/CHORD
These settings determine the original key of the source pattern (i.e., the key used
when recording the pattern).
-these values don't necessary tell that the style is restricted to certain key. The thing is, it can happen that not all channels in the style have the same ROOT value.

As mentioned by others here, style can be used in any key we wish (regardless in which key it was created), because notes (in style) are transposed accordingly to chords change.
But if High Key/Note Limit is used in style (High Key is always used), then the style becomes key specific. It still plays correct chords, however not the same notes. Let me explain...

By default High Key is set to G, which results expected chord progression behavior if we play in C key, i.e.:
C3 --> F3 --> G3
But if we play in D key, we will get:
D3 --> G3 --> A2  -it's not A3 as we would expect (it jumps one octave lower)

Some would say it doesn't matter as long chord is right.. well, it can result with quite different music feel. And even more if Low and High note limits are used: style will sound differently (at chord change) as intended by creator.
So yes, I think style creator should tell for which key the style is meant to be used.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 12:39:25 PM »
If it is made by using the keyboard's style creator, you have to use the key of "c". I would suspect that would also be the case for the ones Yamaha provides for all their keyboards.

But I have made styles and needed to transpose the song to a different key and I have only needed to adjust the "High Key/Note Limit" 3 times (out of 400+ styles). The adjustment was due to the notes being played in PHR1 and PHR2 twice. Only once due to the chords but that style was one I picked up from Maximan, and I think he created styles from midi files.

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 01:03:55 PM »
If it is made by using the keyboard's style creator, you have to use the key of "c".

You can also use any key you want when creating styles in the Style Creator. However, if it is not C, the "Play Root" setting must be changed in the Style Creator (Style Creator > Parameters > Play Root). It's just unusual to use a play root other than C.

Kurt

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 02:32:15 PM »
I think to answer the question properly we have to know more exactly what the OP is asking. Is he asking… 1. what key the style is created in
or  2. what key the style is played in

The answer to the first can be found in Style set up parameters, but it’s typically Cmaj7…..the answer to the second is what everyone has said - the style has no key till you play it and you choose the key.
But maybe he is asking about something entirely different in which case he needs to clarify.
Mike
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 02:34:42 PM by mikf »

Offline KurtAgain

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »
the style has no key till you play it and you choose the key

Unless you have prevented note transposition in the style. It might sound crazy at first, but it can make sense in some situations. Not only for drum tracks, but also for melodic phrases that should definitely remain unchanged.

But that's certainly not what the OP had in mind.  ;)

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 05:29:31 PM »
I would suspect that would also be the case for the ones Yamaha provides for all their keyboards.

CMaj7 is the default and is commonly used. One big exception in Yamaha factory styles are guitar parts. In CanadianRock, for example, the guitar parts are Cmin7(11). At least one INTRO section is Dmin7(11). I've seen guitar parts in E something or other, too, in other factory styles.

It is convenient to set the root note and chord type to something other than CMaj7 in order to avoid converting MIDI phrases to the default scale. Conversion is a pain...

Take care -- pj
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 05:31:01 PM by pjd »