Author Topic: Feelings about Genos  (Read 2570 times)

Feelings about Genos
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
Hello!!!
I'm using Tyros 5 for 3 years. I am planning to upgrade to Genos, today I have 2 hours for experience Genos in Yamaha Vietnam. Here is my review:
- The most valuable upgrade is the Voices. Almost online demos did not show the Genos sound breakthroughs over Tyros 5
- The new sets are really impressive: Drums, Bass, Guitar Nylon, Synth, Guitar Solo are much smoother and much better than Tyros 5.
- Style: Many new styles, group divisions are different. There is no Ballad group. It was like Korg.
- Appearance: Much better and nicer on the photo. 76key but look less compact T5-61. Because the corners are rounded, not as perpendicular as T5. Put on the stage feeling not entangled in the corner. The front is not as good as the Tyros5 when the jacks are up and the bottom is protruding.
- Features: There are not many new, not near to Synthesize, still an Arranger. DRUMS SETUP is the most valuable upgrade, the control part with the cutting edge features for those who love depth and knowledge. (Need more time and knowledge to explore this section)
- Edit voices with more upgrades than T5.
Link downloads the original Genos style for you to use Tyros to explore: https://www.mediafire.com/file/p46622g2ftr3y74/Genos%20Factory%20Style.rar

Conclusion: Very worth upgrading

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:30:53 AM by Snicker740 »
Tyros 5 with MUTEC 2Gb + Roland RD-300NX

Offline voodoo

Re: Feelings about Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:34:29 PM »
Thank you for the report and the styles.  8)

P.S.: Ballad styles have been moved to other categories, but are still there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 11:40:42 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Del B, GrantB

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 03:43:00 AM »
Thank you very much for the presets and your insights :)

I downloaded them and already listened to a random one not present on my keyboard. It will be a great addition to my collection after a little tweaking so I guess the rest will also be more then worth my time and effort. The genre folders are different than on a Tyros but very interesting and I think I will try it by reordering my allinone custom styles folder on my Tyros harddisk where I put all my styles (premium,preset,expansion and so on) to have them all in a central place for making registratios and finding the correct styles for them.

regards,

Peter 8)

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:03 AM »
Thanks for your impressions about the Genos.  Great photo of the Genos too.
Yamaha  Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks

Offline tyrosman

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 07:17:13 AM »
they down load as a pdf file instead if the right one   :(
TYROS 5 the best ever

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
It's CHRISTMAS in November!!  ;D

Starting the revoicing on the COUNTRY Styles first. ;)

Here is another link to the files in ZIP format from my box account. Hopefully you can get them to work for you tyrosman.

https://app.box.com/s/1mk5m64rx5necp6zxkj9epmf9pu2lj97

Offline motifes

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
thank you very much  Snicker740...cam on nhieu lam :)
do you have genos multi pads too? please send
best regards MO

Offline Marcus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
Thanks for the Genos styles. I tried them on my Tyros 5. They are certainly usable, but they need a lot of work re-voicing, adjusting the balances, and most of the OTS voices are missing (to voices that don't exist on the T5).

For myself, not worth the time and energy to re voicing and adjusting each one to work well on my Tyros 5. However, those not planning on upgrading to the Genos have a nice wealth of new style material, if willing to work with them.

My thought was, I could probably get my Tyros 5 up to about 70% of what a Genos can do and sound like, but it is that 30% estimate that makes a huge difference. Since I only have a few weeks waiting for my Genos, I won't even bother reworking any of these Genos styles, but interesting going through them on my Tyros.

My estimate is, about half the quality or potential of these Genos styles are totally missing when playing on another keyboard. So differently programmed, voiced, and DSP effects integration, that they are degraded far behind the optimized Tyros 5 factory styles. A lot of work fixing if one is inclined to do that. I would very much prefer reworking my Tyros 5 custom styles to the Genos higher standard making those perhaps twice as good.

So in reality, I could make my Tyros 5 sound about 70% of a Genos, but my Tyros 5 Custom files will sound 2X as good on a Genos, re-voicing, some reassembly and adding the better Genos DSPs. So with my upgraded content on a Genos would maybe make my Tyros 5 at 60% of a Genos in comparison at best, never mind the added Genos upgrades of polyphony, expansion, weight, and sound quality to name a few.

Regards, Marcus
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:16:16 AM by Marcus »
Gear: Triangle

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »
@Snicker740: Thanks for the thoughts on the Genos. I know the Tyros was quite popular in SE Asia (quite a few T5 YT videos from the region over the years). It'll be interesting to see if Yamaha bother to release a region-specific sound set for the Genos - as far as I know they never did for the T5.

Good photo, too!
Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Online Patrick

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 11:42:32 AM »
Hi Mark and Snicker740, thanks a lot for the styles, photo and informations! I'll wait for the next PSR and i hope it'll be a "Genos small brother"; i hope to have a nice touch screen on it, and 2 USB drive with much more on board memory! The Genos is a very nice keyboard; Yamaha have made a great job on it and the sound his absolutely fantastic; all the best Patrick
 ;)

Offline Henni

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 10:51:27 PM »
Wow!!!

That was quick - I searched for them on the internet and could not find them. Thank you so much my kind friend.

Henni
...Fly Forever!

The following users thanked this post: Ruud

Offline tyrosman

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:19 AM »
thanks Drake :) Henni let me no how you get on with them :)
TYROS 5 the best ever

Offline marius9

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 01:22:34 AM »
Thanks!!!

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
Very much appreciated !  :)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:13 AM »
Hi Jeff

WHAT FEELINGS !!! :-[

I am still waiting for the flipping slow boat from china to come In  !! ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:56:38 AM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
Hi John,
  I am surprised you have not got your Genos yet. My friend got hers last week from where you are getting yours from. Andy G has made a nice demo at Bonners it is on my forum and also Utube.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 05:55:45 AM »
Hi Eileen
I ordered back In September ,but your friend may have got her order In before me.

All the Best
John

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
Hi John,

Here we are also waiting for the Genos.No stock.
For the time being it looks like Yamaha need more time to supply all orders on hand.

In December there might be enough stock, I hope.

Last week my Dutch dealer told me Korg are taking advantage of the present Genos price.
It seems a lot of Korg PA4X, PA1000 and PA700 orders are coming in daily.
Much more than he expected, he said.

I really do not know if it is true but apparently the present Genos price kills a lot of Yamaha orders.

BTW, note these are not my personal words.  ::)

Jeff
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:34:09 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

The following users thanked this post: Pauljones

Online Pauljones

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
Allegro will have their next delivery in mid-December.  I hope my name is on the list.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
@Snicker740: Thanks for the thoughts on the Genos. I know the Tyros was quite popular in SE Asia (quite a few T5 YT videos from the region over the years). It'll be interesting to see if Yamaha bother to release a region-specific sound set for the Genos - as far as I know they never did for the T5.

Good photo, too!

I used T5-61 for the last 3 years and most of the styles, voices I made, I almost did not use the Yamaha Style Factory, I took the tracks 12 to 16 to assemble the style I made. .
Drums are 100% self-made to use.
You can visit my personal page to hear them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrlxXim_D16VRHvdvgCdBVw

Thanks!

The following users thanked this post: Marcus

Offline zionip

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »

Good photo, too!

Hi CalUKGR,

Yamaha has not released any region-specific sound sets for Genos yet.  However, there are voice and style expansion packs (some paid, some free) released for PSR-S970, S770, S670, and even some for S950/750 that you can import into YEM 2.5.0 and generate corresponding Genos_PackInstallData.ppi file to be installed / loaded on to Genos Expansion flash area.  A lot of these packs come with region-specific sound sets and styles, such as China, Vietnam, Japan, Best of Europe, CumbiaLatina, Indian Taals, Mexican etc.

You can find some available free voice and style expansion packs for S970:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/vse.html

Since PSR-S970 and Genos share the same SWP70 tone generator, the sound sets are compatible on these 2 keyboards.  These expansion packs sound even better on Genos than the S970 due to better DSPs on the Genos.

Paul

The following users thanked this post: Marcus

Online Pianoman

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Hello Snicker740.

Thank you so much for uploading the Genos Factory Styles.

You have given me the chance to listen to, and try out these styles on my T3 before the arrival of the Genos arranger here.

I know that some will say that a T3 can't faithfully reproduce Genos styles, and that is absolutely true.

But it is not the point here.
The point, for me, was to hear and identify the styles. Intros, variations, endings and all. To see if there's anything new there.

I have listened to them on my T3 and realised that at least 80 percent of these styles already exist on my T3.
And maybe another 15 percent coming from the T4, T5 and the PSR series.
That leaves only 5 percent of styles that we can call completely new.

The drums, and many voices, of course didn't sound right on the T3, and that was to be expected.
Because the Revo drums, and many voices, are a new technology that can't be reproduced on a T3.

What i wanted so much to see, was the introduction of completely new styles, all 550 of them, and have all the styles from previous arrangers stored in a legacy file, for those whose registrations need the older styles.

These styles are at least 10 year old already.

I so much want to like and buy the Genos, but I was hoping for more than just the design, polyphony, touchscreen and the new voices, both in the accompaniment and solo voices.

I use my board professionally, and this could have been a good opportunity for me and others too, to upgrade and modernise our music with BRAND NEW styles.

I just can't see myself parting with the required amount of money to then just play the same old styles of the last 10 years. Albeit with new voices.
Because let's face it, new styles would have been just as important as new voices.

Acquiring a T5 is becoming a more appealing option for me with each passing day.

For the lower price, and the fact that (if we are to be honest with ourselves) the differences are not that great between the T5 and it's successor.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:54:53 PM by Pianoman »

Offline Bud2

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Thanks for the styles. I have been told my dealer will have some of his stock on the 21st of this month, so let's hope so as I will have the first one.  :)
Bill

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 03:51:16 PM »
#Pianoman

I think Yamaha re-use 80% of the styles that have been on the generations of Tyros 3/4/5 is very normal.
Music is the creativity of the players, the music styles really do not change much, and also nothing to change.
I take the Ballad style example. It will play at 60 - 70 bpm. Even though you create such components as Drum, Bass, Guitar ... always have to perform in such rhythms. Can not do anything else. Similarly, the styles of Rock, Dance, and Pop are based on such basic stereotypes.
Then just change the quality of Sound, Drums, Bass ... it has created you new, new emotions .... promote your own creativity.
Because you are checking the GENOS style on the Tyros you have used so often, you will think that ... Oh ... Genos is nothing new. It's almost 80% reusing old stuff on previous generations.
Please arrange some time to go to the musical instrument store. Spend some time trying out the styles on GENOS. I believe you will cheer up with the emotions it brings.

Online Pianoman

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Hi Snicker740.

Thanks for explaining that.
I feel very much relieved.

Best Regards,
Pianoman.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:25:40 PM by Pianoman »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:44 AM »
Having had my Genos for around two weeks now although the style names will be familiar as having been in other keyboards they have been completely re-worked and sound fantastic.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
Having had my Genos for around two weeks now although the style names will be familiar as having been in other keyboards they have been completely re-worked and sound fantastic.

Surprise! That is what you said about the Tyros 5 keyboard .. lol

But really all the true new Genos styles sound fantastic my new PSR-S950 also.  So why up grade? Only if the Genos has new features that suits your style of playing and preforming but not just because it is the latest and greatest. Unless you are CASH heavy and some of us are. Just for better sounding styles ... nope ... in six months to a year, they will sound old and stale, just like your current keyboard.

Truth be said, the best advice is to learn to re-assemble your current styles with these new Genos and make your own FABULOUS sounding song styles.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:36:47 AM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Hollande

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »
Hi CalUKGR,

Yamaha has not released any region-specific sound sets for Genos yet.  However, there are voice and style expansion packs (some paid, some free) released for PSR-S970, S770, S670, and even some for S950/750 that you can import into YEM 2.5.0 and generate corresponding Genos_PackInstallData.ppi file to be installed / loaded on to Genos Expansion flash area.  A lot of these packs come with region-specific sound sets and styles, such as China, Vietnam, Japan, Best of Europe, CumbiaLatina, Indian Taals, Mexican etc.

You can find some available free voice and style expansion packs for S970:
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/vse.html

Since PSR-S970 and Genos share the same SWP70 tone generator, the sound sets are compatible on these 2 keyboards.  These expansion packs sound even better on Genos than the S970 due to better DSPs on the Genos.

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for that link. I've downloaded the free packs for the S970 and will try them in my Genos. The Vietnam pack looks very intriguing! I do hope Yamaha invest some time and money in producing a comprehensive SE Asia voice pack expansion for the Genos. There's a wealth of fascinating instruments and percussion to be found from India to Japan. Please, Yamaha - make it happen!
Yamaha Genos | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline voodoo

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 06:23:27 AM »

This is, what we observed earlier. I definitely will try the free S970 version of "Best of Europe" before buying the expensive Genos version.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
But really all the true new Genos styles sound fantastic my new PSR-S950 also.  So why up grade?

Well, someone has to buy a Genos in order for others to benefit from the styles they make available. You should be encouraging people to buy a Genos, rather than putting them down. You wouldn't have any new styles to play with if everyone followed your advice not to upgrade.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline zionip

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
Well, someone has to buy a Genos in order for others to benefit from the styles they make available. You should be encouraging people to buy a Genos, rather than putting them down. You wouldn't have any new styles to play with if everyone followed your advice not to upgrade.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Well put!

I do not know about the sound quality of the PSR-S950 because I do not own one.  I would imagine the sound and style quality of the S950 should be at about the same level as its replacement S970, which I own.  The sound quality of the Genos is significantly better than the S970, even with same styles, sounds, including same expansion packs on both.

Buying Genos or not is not just dependent on whether we can afford it or not, it is the value that we perceive the Genos would bring us.  If I can be given a chance again, I would have only bought the Genos and skipped the S970.

Paul

Offline Will49

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »
You wouldn't have any new styles to play with if everyone followed your advice not to upgrade.
Hi Fred, In fairness to DrakeM on that particular remark of his ("So why up grade?"), I don't see it as a direct piece of advice NOT to upgrade. The way I see it is that he is asking a question (indicated so with a question mark). ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:18:21 PM by Will49 »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2017, 12:28:52 PM »

Fred

My 2 cents for what it’s worth.  I tried some Genos conversions and they are good, nice work Drake................but there’s no way  do they sound as good as the Genos does live and in person.  Genos style conversions to the s970 or any other Yamaha arranger won’t keep me from buying one when the time comes.
Yamaha  Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Oldden

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
Hi,
I think there are some things we have to think about. Genos may or may not be the greatest keyboard going, but there are other considerations, the family to look after, plus many other bills in everyday life. Can we or should we spend a lot of money when and  cheaper keyboard will do everything we want. It all a matter of priorities, do we need the best, will we even be able to utilise the best, or would a simpler and easier keyboard do just as well. You could say, wow look at my porche in the garage, never goes above 30, or I took my family the holiday to the place of their there dreams. It's all a after of choice and finance I know but I know which I would pick.
  Oldden

Offline Oldden

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »
Hi ,
Nothing to do with it but I hate spellcheck trying to help me, I tried to say matter on my last mail and it changed it to after. I need spell check but it helps too much . Spell their or there or to or too and it says no that's wrong, think I will change it and  you might not notice. O.K. So it's Bah humbug that's me.
P.s. Took three goes to type in bah up humbug , do you want to mean bath .NO  I don't
it's all good fun I suppose, I have sent emails to people before now with a totally different meaning to what I meant.
Oldden