News:

PSR Tutorial Forum is Now Back to Life!

Main Menu

Forum How To Focus

Started by Joe W, November 03, 2017, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beykock

IMHO only a very small number of members is daily active here.
This small group of active members is keeping this Forum alive. Thank you !

In the meantime their names became very familiar and maybe popular.
Social reactions are very natural and unavoidable.

Most members ( like me ) are reading the daily " news " of this Forum but prefer not to participate in any discussions to avoid comments.

Babette

Joe H

Quote from: DrakeM on March 25, 2020, 06:52:18 AM
Nope Joe, it's you that doesn't get it , or else that Section wouldn't have been removed.  ;)

Just go onto Facebook and be HAPPY ;D
But don't bring Facebook to the PSR site.

::)   :)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

EileenL

How many of you went onto your doorstep at eight last night and clapped for all the key workers that are helping to keep us safe in these hard times. It was great where I live with so many joining in cheering and clapping. We owe them so much.
Eileen
font]

EileenL

There are many of us now in isolation and some are finding it difficult to get food. I hope you are all managing OK and managing to stay well.
Eileen
font]

Del B

HI Eileen
I did not go outside and clap because I was working, the company I work for are maintenance support for water & power utilitis and some hospitals

Toril S

I am well but having cabin fever😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

adrianed

If this is a keyboard only site we should not mention who is playing just only give  the name of the song or we could just start the music and say nothing
That is how this seems to be turning out if we cannot be social with each other or say well done
Or if a person we admire as a player is not well there is no place for us to express a wish for them to get better or condolences if they die
It will be a dead website if that happens
Adrian

beykock

Hi Adrian :

Thank you for your feedback.

I may hope the managers of this forum will agree with your words.

Best wishes,  Babette

Joe H

For what its worth... Joe W has in the past posted about going on vacation and/or children and grandchildren coming to visit; as well as announcing deaths of former forum members. Gary Diamond has posted many times about sailing, pictures of deer in his yard, and about selling his boat.  mikf has posted several times about corporate business models, etc. Don M posted to let us know when he was very ill, as well as others doing the same.

So...  ???

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

beykock

Hi Joe H :

Comments on the social nature of the forum are well taken. 
I'll give some additional thought on how best to implement this.

The above mentioned kind words of Joe W. are very welcome. :)
Hope he is going to change his mind and implement it again soon.

Best Wishes,
Babette
The Hopeful

Joe W

Still thinking sympathetically.  I don't want political discussions or religious discussions - they just lead to needless arguments.  Virtual social contact for our members seems OK.  What do I call the board and what defines it?  Still pondering that.  Feel free to suggest.
-- Joe Waters
PSR-SX900
PSR Performer Page

Fred Smith

Quote from: Joe W on April 03, 2020, 08:03:17 PM
Still thinking sympathetically.  I don't want political discussions or religious discussions - they just lead to needless arguments.  Virtual social contact for our members seems OK.  What do I call the board and what defines it?  Still pondering that.  Feel free to suggest.

"The Social Network"

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

KeyboardEd

That's Good, "Social Network" or something to that effect.

To me having a means for social rapport with other members is pretty important. Looking back at my old USB's, it looks like I originally joined around 2010 - 2011ish. I'm interested to know what's going on with Gary D., Eileen (have a lot of her styles, thanks!), Don M. (stopped in Benton one time to meet him), Flip, I can't tell you how many times Fred has helped me, especially with registrations, and many many others. Getting back to playing again this is the first place I came to find out what was going on.

The big "however" is managing the political, religious, trolling, and abusive rhetoric that usually accompanies the 'open' subjects. Unfortunately that takes a lot of time and neutrality from the moderators. It takes effort, patience and time but I'd still like to see this happen if possible.

My .02c... (Does that 2 cent expression transcend continents?) -Ed L.

Joe H

Quote from: Joe W on April 03, 2020, 08:03:17 PM
... What do I call the board and what defines it?  Still pondering that.  Feel free to suggest.

I thought the board was named OK, but acceptable topics need to be defined more clearly. The board heading is not as important as its intended purpose. In the last post on that board (which I started) I thought hording toilet paper was ridiculous and even a bit funny.  So I thought it was an acceptable topic... but it turned very serious and then... some political comments were made.  That's unfortunate. We never know where a thread will go. People often go off topic.

The fires in Australia were serious and troubling to those who live there; and some posted their concern.  This virus is serious too; impacting the whole world. It's normal for people to want to vent their feelings.

But I hope people will stay focused on questions related to how to use their arranger.  There is too much complaining going on. After 9 years as a member, this past year I've been slowly shifting to "reader" status. I'm not interested in "chewing the fat" as is the practice of certain members lately.

Joe W, I know you will make the right decision regarding how to balance keyboard/music topics with social comments and topics. As has been stated here many times, if a topic is of no interest to you... don't read it!

;)   :)

Joe H

frozzers

I got it Fred ...  ;)

Cheers

Chris

Jørgen

Quote from: Joe H on April 03, 2020, 10:50:15 PM
But I hope people will stay focused on questions related to how to use their arranger.  There is too much complaining going on. After 9 years as a member, this past year I've been slowly shifting to "reader" status. I'm not interested in "chewing the fat" as is the practice of certain members lately.

Hi Joe

Just my words!
We are all concerned about what is happening around the world.
But this is not the right place to discuss politics, religion, environment etc.
This is not Speakers Corner in Hyde Park.  ;)

Have a nice weekend and take care
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

beykock

I thank Fred S. for his perfect suggestion : THE SOCIAL NETWORK !

Very good idea !
Plse proceed. Thanks !

Babette

EileenL

Why not just "General Chit Chat"
Eileen
font]

jtrue

This site is a treasure and we owe endless gratitude to Joe W for creating it and all the moderators for helping to manage it. Its focus is Yamaha keyboards and making music with them.

There are a myriad of other sites and other media where discussion of other topics can easily be found.

Opening this site to discussion of other topics puts a burden on the moderators to deal with the wide-open environment that ensues and may even subject them to abuse from participants who disagree with moderators' actions.  That is not the way to thank those who volunteer their efforts for the benefit of the community.

The simplest solution is the best solution.  The simplest solution is to limit the PSR Tutorial Forum to Yamaha keyboards and making music with them.  That limits the likelihood of controversy and distressing the moderators but does not limit anyone from taking up other topics elsewhere.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

frozzers

This discussion is unlikely to be resolved by consensus.

Many forums like this one have a voting facility.

If it has such a facility, could we please be given the option to vote one way or the other?

Cheers

Chris

EileenL

I really can't see what you are all afraid of. To me music and making music is a very social event so just what is wrong with also being nice to people by wishing them well or talking about fun things that have happened and sharing a good laugh. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and this can apply to forums to. Lighten up in these very trying times.
  I would love to see the forum limited to Yamaha Keyboards and making music with them but it is not.
It is full of use of DAW's and other add on's which go on and on with everyone trying to blind one another with science where as it should be full of how to get the very best from these amazing keyboards. I am sure that a lot of people don't use half the things we have on them and just what you can achieve at the end of the day.

I hope you are all managing to keep well and getting food supplies OK.

Eileen
font]

Toril S

Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page