Author Topic: HS5 or HS7?  (Read 9697 times)

Offline voodoo

HS5 or HS7?
« on: November 03, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Hi,

I understand, that the PSR-S970 has 5" speaker onboard. I liked the sound very much.

Now the HS5 has the same size 5" speaker. Will that be enough (without woofer)?
Or is it recommended to upgrade to HS7? I mean, the HS7 need much space on the table top.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline valimaties

Re: HS5 or HS7?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
Hi,

I understand, that the PSR-S970 has 5" speaker onboard. I liked the sound very much.

Now the HS5 has the same size 5" speaker. Will that be enough (without woofer)?
Or is it recommended to upgrade to HS7? I mean, the HS7 need much space on the table top.

Uli

With the new upgrade I'll do, T5 to Genos, I will buy also Yamaha speakers, but not HS5 or HS7 but HS8 ;) those will give me what I will need..  :)

In any case not GNS MS01 :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 06:36:27 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:08 PM »
Thanks for your advice.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline svpworld

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:24 PM »
It really depends on the size of the room, the HS8 could be a bit overpowering in a small room and you might find the low frequency response a bit too much.  I chose the HS7 as they strike a nice balance between the HS5 which I've read do lack some very low frequencies and the 8's which really need a lot of space around them for them to sound best.  If you are comparing to the sound of the PSR-S950 or 970 you are going to be very impressed at the sound from the Yamaha HS monitors!   A lot more detail, presence, tight and controlled sound and excellent soundstage.  Just make sure you leave at least 20-30cm minimum behind them and any walls since they are rear ported.  I have mine about 20cm from the wall and needed to use the woofer attenuator switch to reduce a bass peak in the room.

Simon

The following users thanked this post: valder

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:47:02 AM »
My music room is 11 feet by 20 feet.  I have a pair of HS8 speakers, 28 inches apart, right behind the Genos, at ear level, in the middle of the room, and I do not find the bass of these speakers too much - the frequency response is very flat.

On the contrary, the GNS-MS01 2.1 speaker system has much heavier bass than the 2 HS8 speakers.

Thanks,
Paul

The following users thanked this post: svpworld

Offline svpworld

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
Thanks Paul.  My room is 3.5m x 2.1m (about 11.5ft by 6.5ft) for the record. My HS7's are positioned at one end of the longest dimension, about a foot from the corners of the room and with the room control switches set to -2db.  I very unscientifically done a frequency sweep in my DAW to identify there's a resonant point of about 200Hz, unfortunately I can't really add any acoustic treatment to the room but with the switches on -2dB it seems to improve the bottom end and reduces muddiness and boom in the bass region.

Simon

Kari V

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
I found a useful article describing what kind of impact the room itself and the placement of the speakers have on the sound (link below):

https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-monitor-test-and-calibration-5-speakers-in-a-bedroom-studio/

Five different good quality studio monitor speakers were tested in a "bedroom studio" shown in the attached figure.

The resulting frequency responses are shown in the next figure: as can be seen there was a strong overall boost in the low mids ~80 – 200 Hz and dips at 100 Hz, 300 Hz, and just below 1 kHz. The boost of the low frequencies is caused by the standing waves or room (resonance) modes. The dips above that are caused by out-of-phase reflections caused by the table, the wall behind the speakers and the floor etc., I think.

The frequency responses can be improved considerably by using EQ: the optimally EQed ones are shown in the next figure below. This requires a good measurement system, but even without that, the general EQ idea (as indicated by the example frequency responses) can be applied for avoiding too much low frequency boost.

There are many reviews of the HS5 on the net. The following seemed to be one of the more valuable ones to me:
https://sonarworks.com/blog/yamaha-hs5-studio-monitor-review/

The frequency response of the HS5 in different rooms is shown in the attached figure.

Their conclusion:

"The unusually early bass roll-off on the HS5 might make these speakers harder to calibrate, especially in well treated rooms. The room gain mostly takes care of the bass, so the [Sonarworks] plug-in only needs to tame it down a little, but for HS5 in treated rooms bass boosting was needed. On higher SPL’s the 45W amp could start running out of steam."

Their overall score: 7/10

[attachment deleted by admin]