Author Topic: Revo! Kit with different drum mapping  (Read 6908 times)

1-man-band-berlin

Revo! Kit with different drum mapping
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:39:42 PM »
Hi Folks,

my request to GENOS is special. And the solution too.

I like it to use Yamaha keyboards together with other keyboards and to connect they by MIDI cable together, so I can access both keyboard’s sounds from both keyboards.

When I wanted, that the other keyboard’s styles play Yamaha keyboard’s drum kits, the drum mapping wasn’t compatible. Tyros models allowed me, to edit the drums, that they may match with the other keyboard’s ”drummer“.

I discovered the following, when I use in style editor the ”drum setup“ function, it creates a new drum kit, what is stored with the style.

So I can use ”dummy styles“, when the drummer from another keyboard wants to play the Revo! kits.

I do it so:

1. I record the other keyboards style to a MIDI file and give this MIDI file the same name, like the source style.

2. I use the Java app midi2style by Jørgen Sørensen to turn the MIDI file’s drum part to a Yamaha style file with one pattern.

3. I load it

4. I listen to the pattern, notice, what drums are wrong and adjust these

5. I go to step edit, remove all note messages except the first one, turn all note values to the lowest value, so if the style would be accidentally started, that it may not be audible

6. store this dummy style

7. try, with what styles it may match and if not, do it again

8. I do a list of styles that works with this dummy style.

I tested this, by connecting my PSR S 970’s built in keyboard with the multi timbral part ”RHYTHM 2“, it works fine. Have only to care, not to change accidentally the dummy style’s drum kit.

The best would be, to keep all the source styles, could be, that you may want to change the drum sound or you have to redo.

1-man-band-berlin

Re: Revo! Kit with different drum mapping
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:52:29 AM »
Well, I found a way to make it easier without MIDI2sty.

1st I set GENOS that it responds to the other keyboards MIDI clock
2nd I do a MIDI setting on the other keyboard that transmits on one channel (maybe 1) note messages from style main drum part
3rd I do a MIDI setting on GENOS that receives the same channel to the part “keyboard”
I go to the style editor, I clear all patterns by changing the time signature, I set the maximum bar length and set it to record, sync start and start the source style and care, that I stop, before the maximum length is over. On the source keyboard I try to recall different variations. What I have to change, is almost bass drums and snares.
After this, I store the GENOS style I made, recall a MIDI setting, where GENOS uses the internal clock and go into the style editor for “drum setup”.

The following users thanked this post: dragon

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:06 PM »
I never tested it on a real Genos.
When I read about Revo! kits, I can't decide, is it comparable with SArt Voices or more with Mega Voices?
Didn't spend enough time to check it out, how an old style would sound with Revo Kit instead the normal.

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:13 PM »
I never tested it on a real Genos.
When I read about Revo! kits, I can't decide, is it comparable with SArt Voices or more with Mega Voices?
Didn't spend enough time to check it out, how an old style would sound with Revo Kit instead the normal.

Hi --

You may not like this answer.  :D

A Revo drum kit is a drum kit. The Revo drum kits approximately follow legacy note to instrument layout, e.g., similar to the Standard Kit. Some of the Revo drum instruments each have multiple samples and the Genos cycles through the alternative samples with each note triggering a Revo drum instrument.

Now, the place where Revo diverges from Standard Kit: A Revo kit typically has alternative drum instruments assigned to the lowest MIDI note numbers with respect to legacy kits. The best way to understand the difference is to compare the Standard Kit vs. the Real Drum Kit vs. the Revo Rock Drum Kit in the Data List PDF. Compare the drum instruments assigned to MIDI note numbers 13 to 28. You'll see that Revo is quite different from the old scheme.

So, potentially, there are sonic incompatibilities for these MIDI notes between old/new MIDI files/styles and Revo.

In most other ways, Revo kits follow the layout of their legacy ancestors.

If you're interested in analysis of the Revo Rock Drum Kit hi-hats, please see:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genos-hi-hat-happiness/

Hope this helps you out -- pj

1-man-band-berlin

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »
When I understood "Drumsetup" right, it can be used, to correct this.