Author Topic: Buying info  (Read 7322 times)

sound4words

Buying info
« on: February 06, 2018, 04:50:25 AM »
Hi all, as you know Tyros 5 has an Ensemble Voices Strings function so I would like to know if Genos has the same function ?
I am trying to find out how much difference there is between T5 and Genos I have just sold my PA3X and now I am looking for a new keyboard that’s why I’m considering Genos so I want to find out everything I can about it.
Where can I get/see Expansion sounds for Genos? please give me link for this
Is Genos a sampler or not? If yes then how can I create a new sound, I am a PC user my DAW is Cubase9pro . Is Genos Compatible with Cubase?

Offline panos

Re: Buying info
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:32:02 AM »
Hi Grover,

Here is the official Yamaha packs.
https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/sound-and-expansion-libraries/premium-packs-and-voices
First select the Genos to the left to see what packages of styles and voices are for each instrument.

There are also other sites that sell professional style and voice packages for Yamaha keyboards.

Also spend some time at the forum to look at some posts.

for cubase+genos check here
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/software_apps.html#product-tabs

Members that use cubase might help you for your right decision between Tyros and Genos

Bedj

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »
  An "off topic" answer:

Psr-s970, which sounds (almost) like a Tyros 5,  has its price going down right now, and the new PA-700 sounds great for the money, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTdQ6TFaoNU
  For less than what costs a T5 or a Genos you can get both the Psr 970 and the PA-700 and benefit from both worlds (sound engine/styles/editing capacities).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:03:59 AM by Bedj »

sound4words

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 02:05:30 AM »
Thank you for your reply your advice and opinions are very helpful to me.
Now I have Yamaha MOXF8 and Roland FA6 in my studio these are always connected to my Cubase9 I have just sold my PA3X which I had been using for last 2 years.

In my opinion I feel that Korg has professional sound quality but Yamaha has more amazing sounds. For example PA3X had 48 KHz 24bit digital out S/PDIF but the new Genos has 44.1 KHz 24bit S/PDIF. But according to me I feel that Yamaha should have gone the extra mile and given Genos digital out S/PDIF 48 KHz and 32bit, sound especially because of the price.
I fully accept that Genos has great features and sounds but I just feel that it's a bit of a shame about the sound output  also I feel that Genos should have had synth action Keys.

Also I am bit confused about some of the Yamaha keyboards for example I am looking into PSR s970,  975 and Genos I have been looking into these and I don't understand  what are they I see that there are a few different features like memory size and a different amount of sounds but what are the key main differences between them?  As there is a huge price difference between them, so please can someone explain the main differences to me thanks.

I really like the (YEM) software I couldn't find details on it but tell me is this a full sampler software? Can I covert any wave sample sound in to Genos sound?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:10:55 AM by Grover »

Bedj

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
If you cannot try them in a shop, you should spend some time listening to a lot of demos of  Psr/Tyros/Genos on youtube, and you will understand that having a Moxf at home, none of these keyboards will bring you something better in terms of sound/instrument quality.
The best for that is to use virtual instruments (vsti) on cubase, or if you prefer hardware to look maybe at "Yamaha Montage" or "Korg Kronos" (which i am not familliar with).

About adding new samples, maybe you are not aware that you can do it in the Moxf  installing memory extension,
https://www.mutec-net.com/product_fmc-567.php?PHPSESSID=80mast2lvpa1qqgo7snmsr8s94&lng=en,
and using this software,
http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/wave.php

Edit: I have been on youtube comparing Kronos and Montage, and to my ears Montage sounds substantially better, at least for the common/standard instruments (pianos, strings, guitars, brass, woodwinds, etc...). For Synth sounds, none is better than the other, it is a matter of personal taste. (I prefer Korg synth sounds).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:13:43 AM by Bedj »

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Grover,

I’m trying out the Genos right now..I have the S970.

S970..great little keyboard..that said Genos advantages I see..

Better keybed/key action though keys are the same size

9 inch touch screen..lovely

More styles and voices...to me better sounding styles and voices.

Actual sliders/knobs vs. buttons.

More memory options and more memory.

76 Keys and after touch.

Genos is very expandable styles and voice wise.

Does all this make Genos worth (twice or more) the $$$ the cost of S970?  That’s up to you.

guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

sound4words

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 10:34:14 PM »
Thanks guys for your opinions, I will keep looking into this after all if I am going to be spending the big bucks I will need do as much research as possible!
I cannot seem to see a Genos 61 keys version available have they not launched one? I think that’s not right not everyone wants 76key, 61keys is much more practical to travel with I really hope they bring one out soon!
And when in my studio if I need to expand the keys then I can connect midi Moxf 8 and Genos so then I can have my very own 88keys version of Genos
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:40:26 PM by Grover »

Offline AlBags

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »

Sure they won't bring out Genos 61.There are a lot of features, and panel needs the room (maybe something else to go in the free space with Genos 2)
Personally, I don't think 970 comes close to T5, and T5-76/Genos effectively are 3 hands keyboards.Genos quite a bit smaller, but further advanced. Genos only way to go, if u can afford it.

Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

sound4words

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:09:44 AM »
Hey sorry for late response but I saw your reply and I am well and truly shocked to hear that they won’t do 61 key version. I know that there are a lot of extra features but even so I am sure that as Yamaha is such a big professional brand with a lot of great minds working for them so I  can imagine that it won’t be too difficult for them squeeze all these features  in to a smaller 61 keys version size!
For me personally I already have 3 keyboards MOXF88, Roland FA61 and Korg Kronos 73 in my studio and so I have to manage space and cost so that’s why I am looking for Genos 61! Here’s hoping that they bring it out soon!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:11:00 AM by Grover »

The following users thanked this post: AlBags

Offline AlBags

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »

Well, don't quote me, but it is just an educated guess!
I think one of the factors is that many high end arranger workstations how have 3-way split manuals, so many users need the room/extra octave to make better use of it.
Time, and Genos sales will tell, I suppose!
Al.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!