Author Topic: Genos Demonstration in china(with Video)  (Read 2607 times)

Offline 330105346

Genos Demonstration in china(with Video)
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
I think that is the retail version,Everything has already been completed.
Here's the video
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av15331886/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 12:21:30 PM by 330105346 »

The following users thanked this post: Marcosf, rezaazadi1361

Offline Marcus

Re: Genos Demonstration in china
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »
Too bad no video version.

Marcus
Gear: Triangle

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:26:15 PM »
The design of the Genos shape is like an optical illusion from the sides. That under curve makes it look very slim. :)

Offline maartenb

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
The design of the Genos shape is like an optical illusion from the sides. That under curve makes it look very slim. :)

Yep, it took a lot of courage to come with this design and I think it's beautiful!!

Maarten

Offline Marcus

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 12:41:01 PM »
Yep, it took a lot of courage to come with this design and I think it's beautiful!!

Maarten
Yes, I remember you saying in another thread how from the side view in a certain photo, it made the Genos look like it was floating in air. The new platform designed from the ground up would also allow internal design improvements and breathing room to upgrade with new models.

The narrow sides also make good hand grips to lift. Plastic is also lighter than metal and I never add any issues with the previous Tyros casing design and function. The fact that the Genos is shorter and lighter from the previous Tyros models is another bonus.

Marcus

Offline ash1

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:42:00 PM »
it does look very slim from the side  a beautiful design
just a pity the touch screen doesnt tilt
 i wonder how that affects the viewing angle when your sat down
im that used to tilting the tyros 5 screen up at different angles
so not sure how that would affect me if i were to buy the Genos
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 12:48:07 PM by ash1 »

Offline Lloyd E

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »
I owned a Ketron SD7 and that had NO tilt screen. It worked fine and I liked it better for looks and use than a tilt screen.
The design of the new Genos is beautiful in design and the touchscreen looks 100% nicer in a fixed position and it will
work just as good as tilt screen.  Lloyd
Music is the way to go

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Seems to me no one that posts here has laid hands yet on the Genos but some are saying they may have an issue with the fixed screen.  Iíll ask how do you know it will be an issue?   I too had a Ketron sd7 no tilt screen and never a problem. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:15:54 PM by stephenm52 »
Yamaha  Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
Seems to me no one that posts here has laid hands yet on the Genos but some are saying they may have an issue with the fixed screen.  Iíll ask how do you know it will be an issue?   I too had a Ketron sd7 no tilt screen and never a problem.

Its obvious where that comes from, complaints about the fixed screens on psr-s series keyboards have been notorious from people with a tyros background that switched to the psr series..

We iwll not know till we tested it, the only thing i think could be awkward is the drop at the bottomside of the screen, and pushing your fingers in the hole that holds the screen..

Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:55:24 PM »
What comes in mind when look at the pictures above, is that the public visiting this Yamaha stand is far younger that the average US and Europeans use to be if we look back to earlier years published workshops and videos.
Would be nice to hear this lady demostrator play Genos or other keyboards, I'm sure she is real good at it. :)
Cheers & Happy Playing.  :)
GJ

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »
What comes in mind when look at the pictures above, is that the public visiting this Yamaha stand is far younger that the average US and Europeans use to be if we look back to earlier years published workshops and videos.
Would be nice to hear this lady demostrator play Genos or other keyboards, I'm sure she is real good at it. :)

That young crowd probably have no clue what kind of keyboard she's playing and maybe they are just amazed at how great she's playing it. Just saying.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Its obvious where that comes from, complaints about the fixed screens on psr-s series keyboards have been notorious from people with a tyros background that switched to the psr series..

We iwll not know till we tested it, the only thing i think could be awkward is the drop at the bottomside of the screen, and pushing your fingers in the hole that holds the screen..

Bacus, I think that there were just a few, mainly Donny Pesce, that complained about the PSR-S series fixed screen. His problem was that where he performed regularly, there were overhead fluorescent lights in the ceiling directly over his keyboard, thereby glaring on the screen. He wanted a tilt screen to help eliminate that glare. Keep in mind that Donny is the kind of person that would complain if he were hung by the neck with a brand new rope. ;)

As for the recessed distance on the  Genos display, when I looked at several of the demonstration videos, the distance appeared to be approximately 2 cm at most, which did not seem to be a problem for the folks providing the demos. The length of the average adult's last segment of their index finger is usually 2.5 cm, so that should not pose a problem, even in a live performance situation. The demonstrators made all that look very easy and doable. Time will tell on this one - just another week or two and we will have several forum members that will be able to provide us with hands on experience and reports.

All the best,

Gary 8)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:12:47 PM by travlin-easy »
Love Those Yammies...

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
For sure, GENOS is  designed for a wider user-range ....

Because of loosing the European "Entertainer" range it is necessary for Yamaha to look for new customers...

greetings from germany
frank
Tyros Support in Germany

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:07 AM »
Hi Frank,

Could you please elaborate:

1) What do you call the ďEuropean entertainer rangeĒ of players?
2) Which wider user-range of users do you think Yamaha precisely has in mind?

What I think is that yonger people might be attracted to ballroom or other ďentertainerĒ music anyway 1) if they are being asked by other people to play such music at a party etc. 2) when they get older.

As for EDM, I think that Genos and other arrangers, even of great sound quality, will always be anecdotic in that market, because musicians professionally active in that field will use professional audio material, computers and software. When theyíll need keyboards, they'll use Motif or Montage, Kronos or Nord.

Using one particular arranger, even as flexible and of higher sound quality of the Genos, would limit their sound palette too much. At best these people will use the Genos as a musical sketchpad - albeit a very expensive one.

As for younger hobbyists (youngsters, music school students) they wonít afford the Genos. If they buy Yamaha they will buy the PSR E453 or EW 400 or at best PSR S670 IMHO.

So for me it remains unclear at what public Yamaha is targeting the Genos.

Just my two cents,

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 01:12:35 AM »
Hi Vi,

I think you are right but maybe the Genos has changed that perspective. Time will tell.

Take care and do not worry.🙉

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ash1

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 02:09:27 AM »
hi vbdx66
i think your right
i just dont see young people spending £4500 on a Genos
they would rather spend it on clothes or clubbing or other things in general
and dont forget most young people can go and buy a laptop vsts samples and the latest daw much cheaper
i think that would be there first port of call over a Genos
the music they listen to or want to make is edm/house/trance etc
i think the young people in the video would look at the Genos but sadly very few would buy it
if yamaha was indeed trying to target the younger buyers with the Genos
then i dont see how throwing in some dj styles and the like would ever work
as much as i think the Genos is the best arranger to date and has the highest quality of sound
i myself am having serious doubts if there really is enough in the Genos  to trade up my tyros 5

all the best ash1

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:17:59 AM by ash1 »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 02:34:27 AM »
Well Genos seems to be selling very well if we are to believe what we read on many forums. I know a lot of dealers in the UK have taken lots of pre orders. As with all Yamaha keyboards people will use them to there own taste and set them up to suit them but for those who wish to take it much further they will find it a lot easier to achieve this. For those youngster's who want to gig producing EDM dance music it will suit them well. For those who want to make Music with the aid of programmes it will fit in nicely, and for us who just want to sit and play it and be blown away by the sound and the music we love and play it will also suit us.
I think it is going to be a winner. 

Offline ash1

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 02:57:22 AM »
hi EileenL   i cant see any young people giging and  producing EDM dance music with a Genos  more likely dj decks samples vsts and laptop
thats how its is done these days
im not trying to knock the Genos but sadly thats not how the young people make music
im sure it will sell very well but not to the younger buyer there are hardware and software options already covering that market

all the best ash1
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:03:35 AM by ash1 »

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 04:25:01 AM »
Hi Eileen,

I agree with Ash and I dont think youngsters will buy the Genos. But maybe it will attract people in their 40ís and 50ís who might find the Genos ďcoolerĒ than the Tyros because of its more modern sounds and looks. That way the traditional arranger public might be slowly renewed, if this is what Yamaha is trying to do.

Anyway youíll tell us more about the Genos when youíll receive yours - I suppose it will just be a matter of weeks now. Then speculation will be replaced by facts, which will be a good thing for everybody.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Offline ash1

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »
 this is how young people are making music these days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGRP5BZDUGk

this girl has an amazing talent in music   :)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 04:32:51 AM by ash1 »

The following users thanked this post: Nemydom

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 04:53:53 AM »
1) What do you call the ďEuropean entertainer rangeĒ of players?
2) Which wider user-range of users do you think Yamaha precisely has in mind?

So for me it remains unclear at what public Yamaha is targeting the Genos.

Just my two cents,

Regards,

Vinciane.
Yamahaīs Target: >>every Keyboardplayer, and Studios  :-)

The european entertainer/Band uses Midifile, sings and sometimes played with on the keyboard.

Just for your Ideas i just found
People playing on Tyros .. using Genos next time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAdZwf8I8lY

I sold  hundreds of the Tyros Series to jazz musicians (70+)  and also Dance producers (30+) ..  but mostly just musicians for home from 14-88 years.. so no problem to USE what they want.

greetings frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
Hi Frank,

Thanks for this explanation.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 05:04:51 AM »
Hi Vi,

Eileen is the best Yamaha UK Salesman ever.
For Eileen there is only Yamaha. 😉

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:06:52 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 05:09:57 AM »

Just a DJ not a musician  It's just elaborate mixing of other peoples samples.
I was a Dj In my youth , but still It's only Djing.
This is just button pushing. Music robotics without imagination and easy to do . A six year ok kiddie could do that.
The singing Is not too bad though, but for me too repetitive and samey
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 05:16:49 AM by ugawoga »

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 05:12:04 AM »
I just cringe when I see a pair of headphones (and their associated hard bits) left on a state of the art keyboard!! Who's the inconsiderate moron (second picture) :(?

Meanwhile, I agree that this beast is going to suit those who are already making ordinary music for pleasure or money. The Dance, Trance, Bump, Bang, EDM...or whatever you call that music, won't be the main reason for buying the Genos. I just hope there are a lot of new fresh styles and not a bunch of Tyros, finger snap, strings "on all the time," re-voiced styles :). With the greatly enhanced voices, must come revolutionary styles that take full advantage of the new voicing. The drums and their new algorithms sounds very promising. Let's just hope the styles have the same wow factor. For me, finger snaps are just cheesy 1960s cliches. The continuous strings are not at all believable. I've always turned them off. The way they are depicted on the Tyros, the real violinists would require bows about 1,000 feet long :) (LOL).
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline dillyboy

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 05:19:09 AM »
the real violinists would require bows about 1,000 feet long :) (LOL).

+1 lol

Offline ash1

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2017, 05:32:37 AM »
ugawoga ok put a video up of you doing that  :P ;D
 as you say a 6 year old could do it  ;D ;D ;D
lets see you get down with the kids  :-\ :P ??? :o ;D

Offline Marcus

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has determined if the black top half of the Genos is painted a matte black or matte finish edged into the black plastic with some details left glossy? Also what is the color of the bottom half of the Genos casing? Looks almost white in some pictures, but could be a light grey or maybe some off-white color as well. 

Black paint might look better and resist dust, but terrible for scratches. Also, if the Genos bottom half is white, might be hard to keep scuff free. Either way, the design is awesome.

Marcus

Offline Kokoriz

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 06:59:20 AM »

Or this
https://youtu.be/jMNIvLiCnw8

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 07:08:40 AM »
I too love the design, Marcus. I assume it will fit on all keyboard stands? The stand I use is the typical X-frame with a locking pin. When I set the height to where I like, I hope the width of the fixed support bars still supports the Genos in the right places.
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
Just a DJ not a musician  It's just elaborate mixing of other peoples samples.
I was a Dj In my youth , but still It's only Djing.
This is just button pushing. Music robotics without imagination and easy to do . A six year ok kiddie could do that.
The singing Is not too bad though, but for me too repetitive and samey

I have to make a staement about todays top deejays
They create their music by using everything possible
They have a whole studio of synths and vstís
And use a keyboard to compose a mellody line
Drum pads to create drum tracks

Many deejays like deejay tiesto have turned into composers and musicians
They do much more then just mixing other peopleís music
They create their own music..

From a creative point they are much more musician then many areanger players that try to play other peoples music..

I really think you dont justify them...
I think the lady in the video is very creative
And a good singer on top of it

Offline ash1

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:38 AM »
i couldnt agree more Bachus
people think that todays young composers just throw a few drum beats and samples out and thats it
they write /arrange /mix /and sometimes even master there own tracks
and have a musical knowledge way ahead of there years
this young lady has an amazing musical talent and voice to match

Offline edtek

Re: Genos Demonstration in china(with Video)
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Just want to thank all the posts with links to music I would never have heard left to my own devices.  At 75 I appreciate the talent of these youngsters.
Ed, Out in the West Texas town of El Paso

Offline Joe H

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
... From a creative point they are much more musician then many arranger players that try to play other peoples music..

I really think you don't justify them...
I think the lady in the video is very creative
And a good singer on top of it

I totally agree.  I have said this recently elsewhere on another thread.  EDM is a very large umbrella.  John has repeated his ignorance (lack of knowledge) about EDM far too many times now.   Some of the Trance music is very complex in its nature and beyond the musical skills of most people here on this forum.

It's time to stop talking about... "my music is better than your music"  and ... "my keyboard is better than your keyboard"  or "some people who can't afford the TOTL arranger are just jealous of those who can" kind of thing.

This forum is about sharing information and helping each other get the most out of our arranger keyboards.

BTW... You are only seeing PART of what is happening with the woman turning knobs, playing the keyboard and singing at the same time.  And in case you don't know it... it takes some real skill and talent and coordination to do what you see her doing in that video.  She is not just pushing buttons.  You are hearing a complete arrangement that was designed and programmed in the DAW, plus real-time control being applied to the playback of the recording as she is singing.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:47:21 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Eric, B

Offline soundphase

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
That's the same debate with piano players who consider that Tyros and Genos are not real instrument.

One music definition : an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color

This lady plays music for me. It doesn't really matter if she uses tamtam, Steinway or electronic boxes with buttons.

And obviously, she enjoys.

Soundphase

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2017, 02:22:43 AM »
Well sorry folks, but that ainít music, itís just an automatically produced sound where the operator presses the occasional key On a very small keyboard then turns a few knobs which my 6 year old grand child could do, zero talent. I would like to see her play real music like Peter Baartmans,
Ian House etc, then I could say she had talent.
This has a parallel with modern art, where they throw paint at the paper and walk all over it.
You have just got to feel sorry for the conned people who buy these,ÖÖ well I canít call them paintings.
Graham
Current YamahaT4 with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2017, 02:57:07 AM »
ugawoga ok put a video up of you doing that  :P ;D
 as you say a 6 year old could do it  ;D ;D ;D
lets see you get down with the kids  :-\ :P ??? :o ;D

I was a Dj years ago and Passed Auditions In london to Dj abroad.
 I did not go as I was just married and I did not like all the nice boys In the business.  A dj s life can get touch and go abroad as well. If your area Hotel abroad loses people because of other popular things going on you get sent home without pay and I found that out with reports about Baccus International. These people are only In business to sell drinks and make loads of profit on numbers of people. It's a pretty cut throat business as you are just about percentages.
A lot of Djs had to find there fares home and also never got paid In some circumstances, but In the 70s a £1000 a month. start wage was enticing.
Also you could get sent to places like Iraq and Syria at a minutes notice.
Thank god I stayed married and never lived out of a suitcase like many others .
I then Ran my own Mobile Disco for 15 years and after a marriage split and starting again , I took to Keyboard playing and now settled down very happily now.
So I do how to operate the equipment and I even used a  simple beat machine between Disco records to make my own live mixes then and all done with EARS!! :P
Also entertained. I was not a robot Dj.
Youngsters will never know the great days of Radio Caroline and Radio Luxembourg holding that transistor radio under your pillow at night dreaming away. :)
Also the technical way of repairing your cassette with a pencil and watching It getting chewed up in your car dashboard. :o
Yes , the beauty of vinyl 8)  and all those lovely scratches, pops,jumping stylii  and warped surfaces plus DAD's Sterogram sitting in the corner with the other G plan furniture
You have never lived Sonny Boy!!! ;D  Sausages then!! :o

Now you have Native Instuments making a lot of dj gear and even Korg with those mini synths. Put that together with a computer and you are In business playing monotone music!! ::)  and a wailing moo moo!! :P

I tell you now that happiness is better that being a wanna be or famous
I beat mixed with a pair of earphones and twin decks and had to match beats by ear with lots of practice.
Nowadays you can push a button and beat matching Is done for you.
Itis so easy today with samples and the gear that is available

Do you know how to scratch mix the easy way

Hold a microphone up to your trouser zip and away you go up and down!!!
;D  "It is all about Technique"    :-\
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:12:57 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Nemydom

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 03:28:48 AM »
Well sorry folks, but that ainít music, itís just an automatically produced sound where the operator presses the occasional key On a very small keyboard then turns a few knobs which my 6 year old grand child could do, zero talent. I would like to see her play real music like Peter Baartmans,
Ian House etc, then I could say she had talent.

Sorry Graham, but what you are saying is very common misunderstanding.  Producing this kind of music from scratch in real time requires a significant level of "talent", and it is  much harder to achive a good  level of skills in it,  than playing an arranger. Even a  very good arranger keyboard player, is generally nothing special buy itself. Recording and mixing loops in real time is a way harder job (of couse, if one does it properly:)) Check this Russian lady here:https://youtu.be/BPHeB8sIyJI
Please don't tell us that she also "presses the occasional key On a very small keyboard"
I bet if she plays an arranger keyboard, she would do it on the similar level with Peter Baartmans, for example.
P.S. please don't be offended by this post, and don't take it personally: I play arranger keyboards myself, and enjoy doing that :))

Offline Grayfox

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2017, 03:48:42 AM »
Well as I said itís just a noise, loved  by the young yes, but please donít call it music and donít say she would be as good as Peter Baartmans when you have never heard if she can even play a keyboard.
Graham.
Current YamahaT4 with 2 Yamaha MSR100 Speakers

Offline ash1

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2017, 04:04:34 AM »
Well as I said itís just a noise

the same thing the older generation were saying about the music we listened to when we were younger   :)

Offline Nemydom

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 04:14:26 AM »
the same thing the older generation were saying about the music we listened to when we were younger   :)

100% truth :))

Online Tommy 73

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:08 AM »
Far to much judgmental opinion here...creativity should be looked upon with broad Strokes and when we find ourselves judging others it means we are only oppressing somebody with are egos in these instances of creativity and if somebody wants to express themselves in some form of creativity be it music.. art...poetry or whatever form this may take...then we should encourage and support that... not condemn what others choose to do however that creativity shows itself... in this world humans are far too hard and judgemental with each other based on our own reflections of ourselves...we should support embrace and propagate any instances where creativity may show itself ...there is room for all  :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:05:32 AM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline Nemydom

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2017, 04:37:51 AM »
Well as I said itís just a noise, loved  by the young yes, but please donít call it music and donít say she would be as good as Peter Baartmans when you have never heard if she can even play a keyboard.
Graham.
I have actually heard :0) but it doesn't matter..
Okay, you are right! She is not as good as Peter Baartmans :) You won!
Just in case, one more video of the same lady:
 https://youtu.be/wYL5hIBBySA
Sorry for the off topic, I am not going to continue ..
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:02:51 AM by Nemydom »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »
Just one word for ash

These so called EDM merchants could not play a note of music If they pulled the plugout of the wall.
Back to the Jews harp then!!! and broken teeth TWANG!! ouch!! :o

That flute player is what music should be all about.
Even I would be lost If someone pulled the plug out from the wall as I would have to learn a heavy weighted piano,so me Is not perfect! :(
Just hope there Is not going to be an EMP attack soon!!from old rocket man. :o 8) or It will be EOTW!!! and you will have to learn the Harp!!! :( ;D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:03:31 AM by ugawoga »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »
I can't judge what other people like in music.  Me?  I'm happy with the era of the crooners i.e Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett.    In January of 2015 I had the opportunity to hear and see Peter Baartmans conduct a clinic in Orlando, Florida.   Below is the link to the original post

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,28692.msg211008.html#msg211008

and the text of my review

What a great opporutunity it was to meet the master Peter Baartmans at Piano Distrubtors Orlando. You've seen his videos and you've heard him play in the past and hearing him live beats the You Tube videos by a long shot. Here's my take on the day.

The Orlando store is loaded with a fine selection of Yamaha grand pianos and the entire line of Yamaha digital pianos. Walking into the store was like a kid going into a candy store. I was the first customer to enter the store for the workshop and was introduced to both Peter and Ben Harrison Product Manager for Portable Keyboards, Digital Pianos & Clavinova. Peter was still in the process of setting up the CVP 609 grand piano version with to his preference. After he finished he immediately did a demo of the touch screen, the equalizer and his preferred settings. He did mention he's a pianist and the CVP 609 is his preferred choice because of the grand piano action and 88 keys. While he was doing a one to one demo for me 4 more customers arrived and at that point the workshop started.

I could only stay for 2 hours, when I left he was still covering some of the features of the CVP 609. He did not have a Tyros 5 to demo . All 5 of us that were in attendance got attention that would not have happened with a larger group. Peter is very personable and his personality matches what you've seen in the You Tube videos. Likewise Ben is very knowledgeable guy. I let both know that Yamaha has a large following of devotees to their arrangers at SZ. Peter in fact was familiar with SZ and mentioned he has visited in the past.

This workshop was tailored for the home CVP owner, many of the features demonstrated i.e. registrations, eq, styles, midi recording, audio recording are known to those of us have owned Yamaha arrangers for many years..........but it wasn't all about the features either. Hearing and watching Peter's hands fly effortlessly over the keys was the high point for me. He did a style demo using the I, IV, V progression to demonstrate a Bossa Nova style.......it sounded good, but then he took the tune One Note Samba with the same Bossa style, added some chord progressions with added 9th, 11ths and 13ths that really made the tune come alive. Haven't heard anyone play the tune like he did on an arranger.

One of the very cool features he did a demo of was the just digital piano feature along with the nuances the instrument is capable of. By the way no external amplification was necessary since the CVP 609 grand style has all the amplifcation anyone would need in a home or cocktail lounge/restaurant setting. Loaded into the CVP 609 are samples from 3 different style pianos, a concert grand, medium sized grand and an upright piano. Here's the cool techy part, on the touch screen when you tap the lifelike looking graphic of the concert grand you're able to raise the lid virtually via the screen and with each setting and the higher the virtual lid opens the sound changes. There's also a control via the touch screen to change room acoustics everything from a large cathedral to a living room. I guess that's what some would call "selling the sizzle, not the steak". I enjoyed every second of Peter taking us thru that part of the piano. I didn't realize that the "V" in CVP stands for versatile as in Clavinova Versatile Piano.

Yamaha  Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Bachus

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2017, 06:01:31 AM »
Just one word for ash

These so called EDM merchants could not play a note of music If they pulled the plugout of the wall.
Back to the Jews harp then!!! and broken teeth TWANG!! ouch!! :o

That flute player is what music should be all about.
Even I would be lost If someone pulled the plug out from the wall as I would have to learn a heavy weighted piano,so me Is not perfect! :(
Just hope there Is not going to be an EMP attack soon!!from old rocket man. :o 8) or It will be EOTW!!! and you will have to learn the Harp!!! :( ;D

Its not the merchants that et to decide what you play

But when playing at a wedding
With a huge amount of younger people
I would definately want a keyboard that suits EDM too..

EDM is what makes younger people and many olders to, dance and party..
If you dont play it, you might forget about wedding gigs
For quite some OMBís wedding gigs make a comsiderable part of their income

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
Since Rap music the music scene has gone stale IMO!!

Music basically has stayed the same since the late 90,s
Go back to that Music Is a dancer by Snap  and you hear what I mean.
The same has happened to blockbuster films "The technology is fantastic , But the acting is dire.
Where have all the film stars gone and the build up tension in stories???
All you can name today as stars would be counted on one hand.
like the New Bladerunner . Technically great , but the acting not brilliant at all and the storyline had no tension build, only in your face violence.

There are a few great artists around today , but you have to delve deep to find them.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2017, 07:10:01 AM »
Just noticed the video was added
I really liked how this lady used the Genos
It where quite some non typical uses

The edm part was fun..

Offline ash1

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »
hi ugawoga
i guess people will never agree what music is good or bad but thats ok  :)
what someone likes another person will hate
thats what makes us all unique
i think if we all had the same opinion wouldnt that make life very boring  :)
On the whole, I think some people like different genres because they do  :P :)

on a side issue
only thing worth watching these past few years has been tv drama film is a waste of time

the sopranos
peaky blinders
boardwalk empire
this is england a master class in acting

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:01:00 AM by ash1 »

Online ckobu

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
I think that is the retail version,Everything has already been completed.
Here's the video
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av15331886/

I adapted video and uploaded to youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/nr0UVhmCYjM