Author Topic: Bösendorfer  (Read 611 times)

Offline Bachus

Bösendorfer
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:16:38 PM »

I hope we will see the bösendorfer piano sample set for Genos... i really like that sound on the montage. 

If so, it would give the polyphony for the expansion voices a good run for its money
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Bösendorfer
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
Having heard one in person, I believe you could easily utilize one of the grand piano voices and modify the sound using the onboard voice creator program and duplicate the Bosendorfer Piano sound quite accurately.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Jean Abdou

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
Having heard one in person, I believe you could easily utilize one of the grand piano voices and modify the sound using the onboard voice creator program and duplicate the Bosendorfer Piano sound quite accurately.

All the best,

Gary 8)

I assume you're joking, right?!
Yamaha MOTIF XF, Casio PX-150, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
The CVPs now also offer a separate Bosendorfer sample. Its very different from the Yamaha piano and I mostly prefer it. Much more mellow. But IMHO none of the piano sounds on any of the keyboards have long enough sustain to effectively  simulate the real thing.
Mike

Offline Bachus

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:26:50 PM »
The CVPs now also offer a separate Bosendorfer sample. Its very different from the Yamaha piano and I mostly prefer it. Much more mellow. But IMHO none of the piano sounds on any of the keyboards have long enough sustain to effectively  simulate the real thing.
Mike

The sound characteristics of the Bösendorfer tend to lean much more towards the Steinway, The Yamaha and the Steinway are in different ends of the grandpiano scale..

I prefer the much mellower sound of the Steinways and the the Bösendorfer for solo piano... where the yamaha sound worls better with busier accompaniment when you have to cut trough the mix.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:39:06 AM »
I was often disappointed by the Bösendorfer on my CVP 709. It was so mellow it would often sound a bit flat and dull to me. Of course that could have been my playing too, but the same piece played on the CFX would always sound bright and alive. I appreciate this is just personal preference, but I wasn't entirely surprised they didn't include the Bösendorfer with the Genos. Maybe it'll be an expansion pack?

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:51:53 AM »
I hope we will see the bösendorfer piano sample set for Genos... i really like that sound on the montage. 

If so, it would give the polyphony for the expansion voices a good run for its money

I hope this, too. Perhaps there is a new update policy at Yamaha, starting with Montage, allowing for new features and content after release of a product.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:13:23 AM »
Hi Uli,

Today we learned the USA have received a first Genos shipment. Distribution will take place very soon.

Does that mean software updates were not necessary or done before shipping the Genos ... or unknown yet ?

Your comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks !

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:36:10 AM »
I hope this, too. Perhaps there is a new update policy at Yamaha, starting with Montage, allowing for new features and content after release of a product.

Uli

Well, i was just thinking an expansion pack including the Bisendirfer and other instruments and a huge amount of typical piano acomp styles..

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:27 AM »
I was often disappointed by the Bösendorfer on my CVP 709. It was so mellow it would often sound a bit flat and dull to me. Of course that could have been my playing too, but the same piece played on the CFX would always sound bright and alive. I appreciate this is just personal preference, but I wasn't entirely surprised they didn't include the Bösendorfer with the Genos. Maybe it'll be an expansion pack?
Actually the Bösendorfer are very particular pianos. You have to put them back into their context: Vienna during the 19th century and the first half of the th 20th century. They are mostly great for playing soft romantic Austrian music like Schubert, Shumann, Brahms... Their usage in a Montage or a Genos would be questionable, it is hard for me to imagine who would use a Bösendorfer sound on a synth or an arranger keyboard. Also, to fully use it, you need a proper amplification, damper resonance and a three-pedal set, not to speak of the 88 weighted keys, of course. So yes I think the Bösendorfer voice is a nice addition to the Clavinova because of its amplification, 88 weighted keys and pedals.
I’ll probably upgrade my DGX 650 to tbe DGX 670 if Yamaha puts the Bösendorfer sample in it.
By the way, the real thing is quite incredible. If you chance to go to a place were there is a Bösendorfer Imperial or any Bösendorfer for that matter, don’t miss the chance to listen to it, the timbre is quite astonishing.

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline voodoo

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:00 AM »
Vinciane,

thank you very much for your explanations about the Boesendorfer.

However, every Nord keyboard has got a free Boesendorfer sample from Nord, and many Nord players like it. The Montage has got its free Boesendorfer upgrade. So it would be an interesting voice for the Genos community.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:09:26 AM »
Vinciane, thanks for the info! Like for any voice on an electronic keyboard, the question always comes down to, "How are you amplifying the sounds??" If you're using cheap, low-end speakers, don't expect great sound. The opposite is, of course, true.

If the Genos has hit the U.S. shores, we can expect them in Canada around mid-winter :(.
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »
Vinciane, thanks for the info! Like for any voice on an electronic keyboard, the question always comes down to, "How are you amplifying the sounds??" If you're using cheap, low-end speakers, don't expect great sound. The opposite is, of course, true.

Isn't that true! I once bought a piano rack module (this is 20 years ago) that sounded great in the shop but, surprise, sounded rubbish at home. That was a lesson learned.
S770

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 07:10:33 AM »
Good point, Derek. I spent $2,300 on two Bose L1 Compact speakers for gigs. I even designed and built a 15 inch sub for the larger gigs. There is no sub available from Bose for their L1 systems. It makes a huge difference. Can't wait to hear the Genos over the same system, if I go that route.
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »
Actually the Bösendorfer are very particular pianos. You have to put them back into their context: Vienna during the 19th century and the first half of the th 20th century. They are mostly great for playing soft romantic Austrian music like Schubert, Shumann, Brahms... Their usage in a Montage or a Genos would be questionable, it is hard for me to imagine who would use a Bösendorfer sound on a synth or an arranger keyboard. Also, to fully use it, you need a proper amplification, damper resonance and a three-pedal set, not to speak of the 88 weighted keys, of course. So yes I think the Bösendorfer voice is a nice addition to the Clavinova because of its amplification, 88 weighted keys and pedals.
I’ll probably upgrade my DGX 650 to tbe DGX 670 if Yamaha puts the Bösendorfer sample in it.
By the way, the real thing is quite incredible. If you chance to go to a place were there is a Bösendorfer Imperial or any Bösendorfer for that matter, don’t miss the chance to listen to it, the timbre is quite astonishing.

Regards,

Vinciane.

Thank you Viv, i must agree with your assesment

In the kronos i have quite a few high end piano’s.
Steinway
Yamaha
Boesendorfer
Fazioli
Bechstein

I use the Austrian grand (Bösendorfer) a lot for ballads and layed back jazz stuff
There is 5 grandpiano’s and they all have their uses.. they also come in quite a few different forms

Now in a band i think o would prefer the Yamaha, it cuts trough the mix like a knife..

But with just a drummer the boesendorfer is often a better choice then the Yamaha’s
I think in a keyboard with just the yamaha piano’s a bösendorf will suit quite well for people that play a lot full keys piano styles on them...   

I prefee